Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Actual Human Being and World Series Champion Drew Butera was still playing baseball in TYOOL 2020. What a world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

gently caress TLR. He's gonna squander that very young, very talented lineup.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

He's gonna be recovered just in time to get locked out.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

bawfuls posted:

Managers of the year are Kevin Cash and Don Mattingly. By far the silliest award MLB gives out, seems appropriate they'd give one to the manager who's team experienced the largest COVID outbreak.

At least the Marlins made it to the playoffs with a winning record.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

elentar posted:

There's a fun little browser game called You Are Jeff Bezos and in it you wake up one morning as the Beezer and you realize what you really want to do is spend all your money to make the world a better place, and then you just try to do that while your family and your lawyers do everything up to and including kill you to stop you from doing so.

I think this also functions as a parable for general managing a baseball team except you're not even trying to make the world all that much better, you're just trying to field a somewhat competitive team.

This is the biggest thing I learned in manager mode of almost every game. Owners are insane and expect you to work miracles without providing the money to do so, and everyone else in the sport doing your job is in the exact same position, and if you do get the budget, as soon as you've accomplished that goal, they add three more but budgeting for two.

But this is baseball, so you get the even further bullshit of the results being effectively random even when you've done the math, and so even if you actually did your job really well and put yourself in the best position to accomplish something it still might not happen and it's all your fault.

:capitalism:

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

I mean, I recognize that the Hall of Fame as an institution is basically pointless, as is the entire sport of baseball, but if Bonds doesn't get it, what's the point of having the loving thing? I feel like everyone that makes the argument "B-b-b-but he was a HoFer before he juiced, he didn't need it!" is pretty much admitting that he belongs there. Clemens, too.

Schilling stays out though. :v:

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

This sounds to be a custody dispute and those are always wild in some fashion

This is my assumption as well. I hope the kid stays safe.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Popete posted:

I hope we can do another Chicagoon outting to a Dogs game next year. That was a lot of fun and they put on a good show.

Also historic in that it was Big Z's last pro game.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Sydin posted:

Pretty sure the whole COVID situation is like, the textbook contractual definition of "act of god."

I was thinking the same thing. I'm honestly not sure who to be cheering on here: the parasitic owners or there parasitic insurance companies, who I'm sure will be using that line on regular people as well as billionaires.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

IcePhoenix posted:

I guess we know why Thad Levine wanted nothing to do with them

Maybe he can work with them enough to pry Wheeler from them.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Niwrad posted:

Also one of the coolest SI covers ever.

Peak '70s baseball.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Negro League news is great. If 2020 counts, there's no reason the shorter seasons for those guys shouldnt. Sucks for counting stats, but for rate stats and whatnot, awesome. It's about time.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Apparently Fuld was "runner-up" to Cora with the Red Sox, by which I assume he was the last name drawn out of the hat when it came to make the list of guys they were presenting as evidence that they didn't want Cora the whole way.

edit: Also this seems relevant https://elitesportsny.com/2019/10/14/new-york-mets-manager-job-sam-fuld-declines-to-interview-report/

rickiep00h fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Dec 22, 2020

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

I love these Dads moves but I, too, wonder about their relevance vs having the Dodgers in the division. That's not to say they should roll over or anything. I just want to see my beautiful Yu to win a ring. And that Dodgers team is gonna be in the way no matter what.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

R.D. Mangles posted:

I was all in on the sox but TLR is a bridge too far, I despise that guy.

He's gonna nuke all the fun of what is statistically* the most fun team in the league. Like, I'm a Twins fan and I was actually getting pumped about heading down Red Line when things calmed down. But nope. Let's just take all that youthful energy and squander it.

*This is a fact and I will not debate it.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Twins, but the moves they're making at TBD, apparently.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Popete posted:

Anyone with a Twitter account should be ineligible for the Hall

Well now I'm definitely not getting in.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

He was a career 122 OPS+ and an amazing defender at 3B

I have no idea what HoF voters are looking for

He never pitched a 10-inning no-hitter Game 7.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Mustached Demon posted:

Android has device to device sharing.

I just want drones at baseball games.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJV2OrVxc_E

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Carlosologist posted:

I’ve always loved Donaldson’s approach of rotational hitting where you’re actively rotating your shoulders and hips to get to the ball and hit the snot out of the ball. You really have to understand your body and your swing to make it work though. I’ll see if I can dig out the clip because it really is a great concept

https://youtu.be/NyWNCrxVzPU

"You tell him 'no.'"

Edit: this video is literally why I was happy when he came to the Twins, and I've been nothing but happy since, even with injuries.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

GoutPatrol posted:

I say this in all unironicness, try watching the Japanese leagues when they start up again. I find it more fun to watch.

Plus they have Tanaka this year!

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Chamale posted:

I wonder if you can quantify the value of taking longer at-bats (other than the impact of more walks and strikeouts). We know that tired pitchers perform worse, although that has to be untangled from the times-through-order penalty.

The value of an individual high-pitch-count PA is probably effectively meaningless unless the batter has a higher good-outcome rate with longer PAs. I think it would be something akin to RBIs where it's less of an individual predictor stat but an indicator of the team's, I dunno, "effectiveness?"

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

logger posted:

Some days I just have to ask myself why the organization I root for is the Mariners.

Even when they show a bit of promise they turn out to be the same old Mariners.

I think the Dorktown series really put it the best: they have been both the best and the worst team, and they consistently have great, likeable stars, and are a team that shouldn't, by most accounts, exist; at least, not really. So in a world where nothing really matters, the least of which being professional sports, why not cheer on the most enjoyably chaotic team? Nothing matters, but the Mariners make that nothing mattering at least interesting if not fun.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Nodoze posted:

Hot (maybe mild?) take but I don't care if the players get it ahead of me or some rich guy does, it's more people getting it at the end of the day and they are actually getting the doses used.

:emptyquote:

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

more falafel please posted:

We Are From Chicago

*nods* We Are From Chicago

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

e: Fuckin' whoops. Probably should have done my Googling like Phil should have.

rickiep00h fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Mar 2, 2021