Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Atlanta:
Free agents: Tyler Flowers, Shane Greene, Cole Hamels, Adeiny Hechavarrķa, Nick Markakis, Mark Melancon, Marcell Ozuna, Pablo Sandoval, Josh Tomlin

- Give Ozuna all the money.
- Maybe re-sign Greene, maybe Melancon.
- The rest of the above are either horrible or toast.
- Sign another starting pitcher or three, preferably people who aren't rear end and aren't old.
- If you can end the Austin Riley experiment, please do. He's not horrible, but slightly below league average seems to be his future.
- Dump Luke Jackson and clean every surface his greasy hair has touched.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

With nothing else on TV, I've been converting old VHS tapes to DVD.

One is an edited version of the 1992 NLCS, Game 7. The commentary noted some stuff in the 9th:
- Doug Drabek was lifted after 125 pitches and a 4-pitch walk to Sid Bream.
- Jim Leyland had Bob Patterson and Stan Belinda warming up. He opted to bring in Belinda, despite them noting that Belinda wasn't a ground ball pitcher (the bases were loaded with no outs).

The Sports Illustrated that came out the next week had some really wonderful articles. The Cruelest Game, the one from Pittsburgh's perspective, captured the essence of then and really everything since.

Right now, I have a 1991 Braves season documentary copying, one of two the team did. John Goodman narrated this one, fresh off filming The Babe.

drat, was Darryl Strawberry hated.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

To think that A.J. Hinch wasn't the most controversial candidate to manage a baseball in the fall of 2020.

The White Sox have a pretty cool team. It's a shame that TLR is going to promptly kill it.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

:psyduck:

Law and Crime posted:

Brandon Willie Martin, 27, a former draft pick for the Tampa Bay Rays, was found guilty on Wednesday in the murders of his father Michael Martin, 64, maternal uncle Ricky Andersen, 51, and ADT alarm installer Barry Swanson, 62.

Yes, the ADT guy was there to install an alarm because of Martin.

gently caress.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

elentar posted:

wow, that is way less close than I expected

also if I had a vote in these things I would absolutely blow my 10th place vote on the most random possible person, because why not

way, way, way back in the day in the NBA, Craig Ehlo and Brad Lohaus used to give each other a vote.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

elentar posted:

Early days yet but I have hopes that Cohen will go full Ted Turner. League's been overdue a new Ted.

Which era/attitude of Ted?

- The enthusiastic but clueless owner
- Let's tank the Hawks so we can move them to Charlotte
- Hands off completely
- Deep pockets
- Vince, I'm in the rasslin' business

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

The Braves had at least two cookbooks in the 1990s. I have them somewhere.

Jeff Blauser had a recipe for warmed up pizza in the first. If I remember correctly, the complete instructions were:

No preparation necessary
Heating optional

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

elentar posted:

Augusta is just barely on the SC side of the border, I think? Anyway the Braves own the Mississippi club so they're pretty solid.

Augusta is in Georgia. North Augusta is in South Carolina.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Charley Pride died.

Much more famous as a musician, he actually played a bit of Minor League ball. His nephew, Curtis Pride, bounced around for a few teams in MLB.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

GoatSeeGuy posted:

The We're Not Detroits.

Honest Answer: The Naps.

The Lajoies because I want to torture announcers.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

The Republican senator candidates in Georgia are getting a little desperate for new outrages, y'all.

https://twitter.com/Perduesenate/status/1338632775327473664

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

I remember in 1992 that Atlanta was having an impossible time hitting Tim Wakefield.

Atlanta brought in Niekro, to see if that could help.

They couldn't hit Niekro either.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Spoeank posted:

Phil Niekro pitched to Willie Mays and Willie McCovey in his first game and Jose Canseco and Mark McGwire in his second-to-last game

Phil Niekro pitched on the same team at the same time as Tom Glavine and Warren Spahn.

Spahn's MLB debut was in 1942. Glavine retired in 2008.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Your daily hourly reminder that MLB are shitheads.

https://twitter.com/ProjectLincoln/status/1345904371163426817

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

elentar posted:

College baseball is technically supposed to start today but a ton of series have already been called off for COVID protocols and my own university is in the middle of a case spike so it could be a bit yet.

Will start a thread if it ever looks like a season might happen.

JUCO started in January, but quite unevenly. DeSantis being so utterly unbothered means that Florida jucos have been going full blast since early January. Other schools have been staggered because they have at least minimum of protocols. Rain soaking the southeast has knocked out more games than COVID so far.

With players getting a bonus year and uncertainties over scholarships and playing time, many jucos will be a bit deeper this year. I've heard of at least a few players deciding to ride it out and see if something better pops up in a year or two at the senior college level.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Shrecknet posted:

Would like to congratulate the Braves at the end of this season for completing their contract with Bruce Sutter, who signed a Bonilla-style contract in 1985 that ran for 36 years, $44m

Reading a 1985 article about the contract and the novelty of it, there was also a list of baseball's richest players.

Length Annual Player, position Team Contract Salary
Dave Winfield, outfield N.Y. Yankees 10 Years $2 million
Gary Carter, catcher N.Y. Mets 7 Years $1.8 million
Mike Schmidt, third base Philadelphia 5 Years $2 million
George Foster, outfield N.Y. Mets 5 Years $2.05 million
Rick Sutcliffe, pitcher Chicago Cubs 5 Years $1.9 million
Rickey Henderson, outfield N.Y. Yankees 5 Years $1.75 million
Keith Hernandez, first base N.Y. Mets 5 Years $1.7 million
Fred Lynn, outfield Baltimore 5 Years $1.36 million
Steve Garvey, first base San Diego 5 Years $1.32 million
George Brett, third base Kansas City 7 Years $900,000
Bruce Sutter, pitcher Atlanta 6 Years $750,000

Per the inflation calculator, Winfield's contract would be about 4.9 million per year now.