Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
That the Nats aren't willing to pick up a mere $9M option for Eaton does not bode well for what teams are going to be looking to spend in FA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
https://mobile.twitter.com/MLByahoosports/status/1321529368414334976

I mean gently caress Turner, but lol at the leage throwing him under the bus when they let a game start without everybody's test results in, and let Turner play for six innings after knowing his test was "inconclusive" in the second.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

bawfuls posted:

MLB also had zero enforcement of their protocols in the key moment. It should be entirely predictable that Turner would try to get back on the field for the celebration and MLB was not equipped to stop him.

That too, there really should been security immediately posted to make sure he didn't try to get back out onto the field, and when he did security should have been a little more forceful than "we asked nicely and he said no, so welp." Makes you wonder how much more of the COVID protocols weren't really being enforced and were just operating on an honor system.

Johnny Bravo posted:

Still baffled at the notion of test results not being available until the game is in progress and I'm trying to imagine how bad Adam Silver and the NBA would get dragged if they let a player start G6 of the Finals with an inconclusive test just to pull him out of the game when the 4th quarter started for being positive.

Currently imagining an alternate reality where we've gone to a game seven and Beuhler is absolutely dominating, when he's suddenly pulled midway through the 6th and the Rays rally to take the lead and eventually win. After the game Roberts says he didn't wan to pull Beuhler, but the league informed him that his last COVID test came back positive mid-way through the game, and demanded he be isolated as per protocol. I'm pretty sure the entire Greater Los Angeles area would collectively march on the league office to hang Manfred.

Obviously that didn't happen, but that's the kind of thing MLB was risking by letting WS games start while still waiting on the results of COVID tests. They really do not give a flying gently caress about player health and safety, or the fans. They only care about the :10bux:

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Anyway if we're doing offseason lists now,

What the Cubs SHOULD do:
-Sign DJLM or, if they're feeling in a gambling mood, Ha-Seong Kim. Put Nico back in the minors so he can work on his bat.
-Sign Springer, move Happ to left, move on from Schwarber. Sorry beefy lad, but that hot second half 2019 is looking more and more like a mirage and you don't defend well enough to justify your bat. Also release Almora, for the love of god PLEASE release Almora.
-Trade for a disgruntled Snell. :v: Okay more realistically go get Stroman, he rules and is low-key very good.
-Go get +2 actually decent relievers and spare us another season of endlessly cycling through dumpster dive guys.

What the Cubs WILL do:
-Trade Bryant to save money
-Tender Almora a contract and have him be the opening day CF
-Re-sign Chatwood for $1-2M and justify it by playing up the two (2) good starts he had this season before blowing up
-Sign a bunch of old, washed up, terrible relievers on minor league deals and spend half the season cycling through them to find 1-2 guys who can stick

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Timby posted:

I imagine the Cubs' biggest priority is going to be the starting rotation. Chatwood and Quintana are free agents and Lester is unlikely to take a prove-it one-year deal, and I fully expect Mills to turn into a pumpkin, so that's three holes to fill.

Bryant is almost certainly gone, though. :(

By all accounts the Cubs' biggest priority is going to be slashing payroll. Hell there's talk that if the Cubs can't find a suitor for Bryant - which is entirely possible since he's slated to make ~$20M next season, the league as a whole is expected to be very cost-averse, and Bryant is coming off a miserable year - that they might just non-tender him. Which would actually be funny as gently caress after all the service time bullshit they pulled to get that extra year.

It sucks because even with just the money that comes off the books this year, they could easily retool enough to put a better product out there for 2021 and seriously compete. But it just doesn't sound like it's going to happen.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Thom P. Tiers posted:

The Cardinals let Wong go because they didn't wanna pay him 11.5m next year :v:

Everyone on a team option is about to get released and the owners are going to cry poor :rip:

"What, there's no way the Cardinals would actually release Wo-"

https://twitter.com/markasaxon/status/1321565765431107591

:stare:

Goddamn this offseason is going to be a bloodbath isn't it.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
So here's the question that's gonna make a lot of Cubs fans angry at me: if the market is such that the Cardinals don't think Wong is worth his $12.5M option, do the Cubs think Rizzo is worth his $16.5M one?

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

R.D. Mangles posted:

if the cubs are going to what they've been telegraphing and just stop spending money and being competitive for the foreseeable future i would like them to blow some money on keeping Big Rizz around even if he ages and stinks and can't move anymore because it is cool to have him on the team.

:hmmyes:

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
https://twitter.com/markasaxon/status/1321583007791198211

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Yep. The only team I thought might splurge is the Mets since they were getting a new, insanely rich owner who was not impacted directly by MLB's 2020 losses, but apparently de Blasio has told MLB that he will "Everything he can" to stop the deal, and apparently he does have some kind of authority to do so because of Cohen's prior felony charge.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
https://twitter.com/ZackMeisel/status/1321861464827846656

:thunk: :thunk: :thunk:

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Literally any team in baseball right now could go out and get a proven left handed closer who just put up a 1.37 FIP and is only 30 for a 1/10 commitment. All they have to do is claim him. That's it. No prospect capital, no negotiation, no nothing. Just go claim him and bam, your bullpen is insanely better at what should be below market cost.

If nobody claims Hand then nobody is getting paid this offseason. That tweet by Bauer about considering any offers from any MLB or NPB team is looking a lot less like a joke and more him realizing Japan might be the only place where he can get paid next year.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H47ow4_Cmk0

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
The Sox fired Renteria to hire Tony La Russa jfc

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Inspector_666 posted:

Apparently there are already issues among team personnel (although that might be FO at this point) over the hiring so I have a feeling it's gonna be a short wait.

https://twitter.com/JeffPassan/status/1321876262240030720

lol @ jerry going over his FO's head to hire a new manager none of them like.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Hopefully Amderson flips his bat so hard and so far that it flies into the Sox dugout and brains La Russa, leaving him incapable of fulfilling his duties as manager.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
So wait why is Trump obsessed with Gilmartin, I completely missed this dumb subplot. Is he a CHUD or something?

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Inspector_666 posted:

He's married to the press secretary.

Wow I completely missed that, what a loving tool.

bawfuls posted:

my friend, no!

https://twitter.com/BR_MLB/status/1321902411313606656

between the league-wide excuses to slash spending and now this, Puig may have played his last game in MLB

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Nodoze posted:

Plaschke was right all along

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
:siren: A team has picked up a player option :siren:

https://twitter.com/BryanHoch/status/1321957051933839365

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

:lol::lol::lol:

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Thom P. Tiers posted:

Jedd Gyorko declined for a whole $3.5m in savings. 121 OPS+ last season in 135 PA's.

Look, there were losses last year. Losses! We can't just... pay players! If anything, they should just be happy we're going to have a season next year at all! They should just be grateful for that, and play for free!

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Hand clearing waivers is a *really* bad sign for FA's this offseason.

That's not even the worse candidate they're considering:

https://twitter.com/jonmorosi/status/1322024806821355522

If you're not aware McLeod is the guy who ran the pitching side of our farm into the ground for almost a decade, before being shunted sideways into a do nothing advisor position for somebody who (hopefully) actually knows how to draft and develop pitching.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
https://twitter.com/JSalisburyNBCS/status/1322248170752167938

Wait so how is Nerris still elligable for arb if the Phillies declined his option? If you sign an extension that has an option that overlaps with your final year of arb, declining that option puts you into arb instead of just making you an FA? If so that's loving bullshit.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Cubs officially decline Descalso's option (he has a $1M buyout lol Theo you loving dunce) and pick up Rizzo's.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

FlamingLiberal posted:

That ended up being an awful, awful trade

Archer was bad in the regular season for a Pirates team that was already bad. Glasnow and Meadows were bad in a postseason where the Rays were good and could have really used those two, but instead they actively hampered their efforts to win.

Maybe Glasnow and Meadows turn it around, but it kinda feels like a wash at this point. :shrug:

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Currently terrified that Theo will think he's super clever by bringing Archer home and we'll get to see him put up a 4.50 ERA season with a 3.00 FIP like he does every year while giving up somewhere between "a ton of" an "all of the" HR's in the process, but Cubs pundits will spend the whole season talking about how the peripherals say he's just unlucky while casually ignoring he's underperformed his peripherals literally his entire career.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

GalacticAcid posted:

Don’t worry, I’ve already seen into the future and can confirm that he will go to Milwaukee, pitch in relief, and throw like 70 innings with a 1.12 ERA

Inshallah

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
The Brewers are legitimately like, twice as likeable now that they've jettisoned Braun. Now all they have to do is get rid of Hader and I will have no more rational reasons to dislike them.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
I think Bauer is more likely to get a big deal than Ozuna honestly.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Yeah I could see that, and even then I think the top guys aren't going to get as much as they otherwise might in a non-hellworld year.

I still can't believe nobody claimed Hand for 1/10. That is just unreal. In a normal year Hand at just $10M coming off the kind of season he just had would have been a top prospect trade to a competitor.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
https://twitter.com/KyleAGlaser/status/1323350751578501125

What a fall for Folty. All Star to minor league free agent in two seasons.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

:lol:

bawfuls posted:

short season manager of the year is the best award

https://twitter.com/MLBNetwork/status/1323415207771820032

-guy who's team had the biggest 'rona outbreak and got one of the charity postseason spots
-guy who's team continues to underperform their previous peak
-guy who publicly chastised his team's biggest star for hitting a grand slam

:lol::lol:

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

:eyepop:

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Julio Cruz posted:

he's also a FA in 2022 so unless they're convinced they can sign him to an extension I can see why a lot of teams might not want to go there

Dodges got Betts to sign an extension and the market looks... murky going forward, I don't particularly envy anybody hitting FA after next season with CBA negotiations going on. I think if a tem is willing to throw enough money at Lindor he signs.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
https://twitter.com/KyleAGlaser/status/1324477732344852480

:stare: What the gently caress

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

tl;dr - zero punishment for Turner because he apologized and was both encouraged to go onto the field by his teammates and also maybe lied to that other Dodgers had tested positive so he figured gently caress it we've all got plague might as well celebrate.

Kinda feel like the correct PR move here is to fine Turner but put the money towards a COVID relief fund or something, but MLB hates making good PR decisions so this works too.

Sydin fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Nov 6, 2020

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

The Pussy Boss posted:

Wait, what did Betts and Urias do?

Betts won the MVP and beat the Dodgers in the WS in 2018 when the Red Sox were probably cheating. Also just as dire he apparently gave a really cringey locker room speech when he first came to the Dodgers.

Urias got into a fight with his girlfriend in a parking lot and shoved her to the ground.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Ahahahahahahahahahahaha come the gently caress on dude no one buys for a second that you were just an oblivious scapegoat

gently caress Luhnow forever lmao

It's such a dumb story too because even if you believe him, it reflects incredibly poorly on his leadership abilities. This isn't like "one guy on the team took PED's and I didn't realize it" or something, this is "there was a complex sign stealing operation involving over half the players, the bench coach, and a setup in the clubhouse to steal signs that the manager was also aware and not happy about, and somehow I was completely in the dark about this for an entire season."

Buddy... that's not a good look.

e. That said yeah there's no way the Astros let it get to discovery, even if they do have solid evidence Luhnow knew. He's going to make a quick buck on the settlement.

Sydin fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Nov 9, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

GalacticAcid posted:

gently caress Tony la Russa lmaooo