Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
Ah, the offseason. That time when, sadly, baseball isn't happening, but on the upside, baseball isn't happening.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
I imagine the Braves won't sign any of theirs, unless Melancon wants to come back cheap or they take a second chance on Hamels. With no NL DH, you'd have to imagine Ozuna is AL-bound and everyone else on the list sucks. Need to clear a bunch of the deadwood.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Explosionface posted:

I want the Cubs to sign Sean Doolittle. Not because I think he'll be super helpful, but just because I want them to have someone known to be a good human being all around.

He’s gonna be a real good pitching coach / manager, probably sooner rather than later.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

RC and Moon Pie posted:

Atlanta:
Free agents: Tyler Flowers, Shane Greene, Cole Hamels, Adeiny Hechavarría, Nick Markakis, Mark Melancon, Marcell Ozuna, Pablo Sandoval, Josh Tomlin

- Give Ozuna all the money.
- Maybe re-sign Greene, maybe Melancon.
- The rest of the above are either horrible or toast.
- Sign another starting pitcher or three, preferably people who aren't rear end and aren't old.
- If you can end the Austin Riley experiment, please do. He's not horrible, but slightly below league average seems to be his future.
- Dump Luke Jackson and clean every surface his greasy hair has touched.

OK, on balance as much as I have loved Marcell, his value is significantly diminished in a non-DH league, even if it's just the one year you still have to wedge him into the outfield. He is also coming off the very definition of a contract year, with an OPS+ 26 points higher than his previous best, and even that earlier good year (2017) was really his only other significantly above average one. There's a real risk of regression, and the Braves even pre-pandemic are not a team that can afford to just shrug off a bad big-dollar contract. At the very least, that's money that could go to keeping Freddie and buying out years of Soroka, Fried, Pache, etc.

That said, there's really not much help they can get for the lineup via free agency, since I don't see them making a run at Springer. If they don't get Ozuna, then you need a platoon partner for Duvall, for certain (unless you really want to commit to throwing Drew Waters into the deep end), but I don't see much of a way to improve third base, since again I doubt they're going to throw any money at Justin Turner and everyone else is very old or completely cooked. For sure there's no one in the prospect pipe line. Maybe someone else's castoff will float by?

In the meantime, they should have no problem picking up a usable starter with that money—in particular it'd be nice to use the AA ties to lure Marcus Stroman. But probably they'll just get another rental who will suck immediately, or they'll have the privilege again of paying someone to be injured all year.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

chilihead posted:

Braves paid Ozuna something around 18 million this year, the qualifying offer is around 18 million this year. If they don't re-sign him of course they will offer him the QO.
The amount is getting high enough that combined with loss of revenues no team will ever offer it again to a player they wouldn't actually pay....in order to get a draft pick.
Those days are over and of course next CBA it will be gone anyway.

Ozuna turned down a qualifying option last year so I think that makes him ineligible to receive one this year.

Good town for the DUI-prone, Chicago

elentar fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Oct 29, 2020

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Y'all think you've seen collusion but it is nothing like what's going to happen this year, this is disaster capitalism on steroids and nobody's outside of a few of us freak fans are going to care because it's hard to get worked up for people making a minimum 500k salary or to see how lowballing their salaries is symptomatic of what's going on nationwide.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

absolute bloodbath incoming, this is just to save a measly $3m (after $500k buyout) for a perfectly serviceable bullpen arm.

https://twitter.com/Braves/status/1321923737382432768

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Could see the Braves tossing a year at Morton.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

David Roth, as ever worth the read:
https://twitter.com/david_j_roth/status/1322227561670365185?s=20

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

I'm not even sure what to do with a Mets ownership that doesn't treat its players like inconveniently sentient livestock.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

The new market inefficiency is paying salaries.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

https://twitter.com/rexchapman/status/1322925488327843841?s=21

BABIP .000

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

No Stroman for the Braves then, probably a pipe dream to begin with but no way they lose that draft pick two years running.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Sydin posted:

https://twitter.com/KyleAGlaser/status/1323350751578501125

What a fall for Folty. All Star to minor league free agent in two seasons.

As long as he was just a headcase you could keep trying to fix him, but the velocity loss is a huge problem.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

It almost seems ridiculous to say it, but who's gonna take on a one-year $20 million arbitration case? Is this where the Mets actually start spending money?

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Imagining the White Sox top brass gathering together to discuss the managerial vacancy, getting into heated debates over this candidate or that, and finally someone saying the fateful words, I wonder what La Russa is up to? And then a record-scratch jump cut to the Phoenix courtroom

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

GalacticAcid posted:

Wonder if they trade for Musgrove

I would bet on the Braves as the most likely destination though

you'd mentioned this before and it seems like it could be a good match personnel-wise but why the Braves specifically? he doesn't seem to have any connections to the Atlanta area

davecrazy posted:

Very excited about the Mets future.

the bat of Damocles, just suspended overhead

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Hooray for eating innings at a league-average or slightly worse level.

Apparently is a good clubhouse presence? I dunno, when the official site has to reach for off-the-field stuff like that it's usually an admission that there's no on-the-field reason to celebrate.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Happy for the big lug.

Didn't think it was ever going to work out for him, he always seemed to miss chunks of the season just when he was going really good. Turned out the answer was for everyone else to miss chunks of the season too.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

wow, that is way less close than I expected

also if I had a vote in these things I would absolutely blow my 10th place vote on the most random possible person, because why not

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

GoatSeeGuy posted:

The other tidbit I keep seeing about him is that best case scenario he’s going to struggle with velocity early on and will have adjust, if he can.

Just like every other Cub hitter!

Can't be any worse than Austin Riley

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

Smyly to Atlanta, 1 year, $11m

Seems like a really good pickup based on the small sample from this year, just as long as he isn’t his 2019 self.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

There's a fun little browser game called You Are Jeff Bezos and in it you wake up one morning as the Beezer and you realize what you really want to do is spend all your money to make the world a better place, and then you just try to do that while your family and your lawyers do everything up to and including kill you to stop you from doing so.

I think this also functions as a parable for general managing a baseball team except you're not even trying to make the world all that much better, you're just trying to field a somewhat competitive team.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

https://twitter.com/benbrisebois/status/1328843390310498305?s=21

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Early days yet but I have hopes that Cohen will go full Ted Turner. League's been overdue a new Ted.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

mcmagic posted:

I hated the extra inning rule way less than I thought I would and 7 inning DH's are good... The main thing they have to get rid of is the expanded playoffs.

The extra inning rule is an atrocity and 7-inning doubleheaders are something you play in high school. But yes, the expanded playoffs are crap, either limit it to 6 teams per league or expand MLB accordingly.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Spoeank posted:

gently caress all billionaires but this dude has serious shitposting chops

The best billionaire is a dead billionaire, but the second-best is one who spends his ludicrous wealth in understandable ways

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

bawfuls posted:

Dee Gordon had one good season in Miami, when he won the batting title. And it turned out he was taking steroids.

How do steroids help your batting average

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Good Dog posted:

Goons dismissing steroids ability to help a baseball player because there isn't any way to quantify them statistically is such a classic poo poo take.

I am genuinely not trying to be a bitch about this, I understand full well that steroids extend careers and preserve velocity etc. and that turning a blind eye to them would make them basically mandatory for everyone, with all the consequences that entails. I just don’t get how steroids would help you BABIP .383, and it send like if you’re doing that at age 27 rather than 37 then it’s a legit part of your locker regardless, and it seems like an odd point to throw out the stats for an eye test.

I mean, whatever, batting titles are basically noise anyway, right?

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

The Braves signed Jack Mayfield, presumably to compete with Adeiny Hechevarria for the all-important "lovely utility infielder" roster spot.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

mentholmoose posted:

Is there a Hall of Fame thread?

Because you can debate Bonds and such if you want, but voting for nobody is a special move:

Voting for no one should result in your ballot being taken away.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

seiferguy posted:

Just for funsies here's bWAR for the HoF ballot:

Skipped Andruw

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

Atlanta supposedly in on Snell and Morton, but the moves they've ended up making recently are rarely the ones they're "in on". Like Donaldson and Ozuna weren't shocking, they were just at the level of "yeah, that would make sense" speculation as opposed to "BREAKING: talks are in progress" quickly followed by "and now it's done".

I could see Morton coming back maybe, and they certainly have the prospects to go get Snell if they really want to, but this does still feel like kicking the tires at this point.

Honestly I'm more surprised at the chatter about them offering Ozuna actual money to stick around for a non-DH year. That'd be trusting in Pache and Acuña to cover an awful lot of the outfield between them.

In actually encouraging news, Soroka is back tossing again, might be back as early as April: https://twitter.com/FOXSportsBraves/status/1330943008452304905

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Guess they weren't lying about "aggressively pursuing" him.

If no one pulls a Hamels, that's the rotation sorted for next year, especially once Soroka's back. Just need one more bat.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Popete posted:

That 2-seam still looks nice. Would be a good PR move by the new Mets ownership.

No way I’m betting against Bartolo being able to function as a long-relief/spot-start guy.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Braves non-tendered Adam Duvall, hope he gets paid somewhere off the back of those three-dong games.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

The Braves unsurprisingly keep Gwinnett, Mississippi, and Rome, while adding Augusta as their low-A.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

blossommirage posted:

Mississippi is like the only team now not based in Georgia. Wonder how long it'll take before they replace them with Macon or Savannah.

Augusta is just barely on the SC side of the border, I think? Anyway the Braves own the Mississippi club so they're pretty solid.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

RC and Moon Pie posted:

Augusta is in Georgia. North Augusta is in South Carolina.

Ok well then they play in North Augusta but still just call themselves Augusta. The park is like 10 feet from the Savannah River.

Do the two Augustas have a rivalry or do they just consider themselves one city like Bristol TN/VA?

elentar fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Dec 10, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Ran across this fascinating-rear end old-time player, Ernie Orsatti, who split time between playing baseball and being a Hollywood silent-movie stuntman, including for Buster Keaton, who actually signed him to his first pro baseball contract: https://sabr.org/bioproj/person/ernie-orsatti/

Once he made the majors he cut out the stunt work for a bit except

quote:

...during that 1934 season Orsatti made a brief return as an actor. On June 26, before a game against the Giants, a scene from a murder mystery, Death on the Diamond, was filmed at Sportsman’s Park. In the movie a number of Cardinals players are murdered as part of a plot to keep the team from making it to the World Series. The scene takes place late in the season, when the fictional Cardinals are fighting for the pennant. Orsatti played the role of a player who was shot to death while running the bases.9 A New York Times movie critic wrote that in the film the “hitherto unsuspected hazards of ball playing are described with an entertaining combination of humor and grim melancholy.”

He got married a few times, divorcing the first wife for “impairing his baseball efficiency by her ‘constant nagging and quarrelsome nature.’” Eventually had two sons, both of whom also became stuntmen, one of whom doubled for Schwarzenegger on The Terminator.

Perhaps not quite Moe Berg, and I'm sure he's old knowledge to some of you, but maybe not all?