Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Spoeank posted:

In retrospect it was really weird that the Dodgers all lined up and Justin Turner went "I tested positive for SARS-CoV-2, the novel coronavirus AKA COVID-19" to each of them before open-mouth kissing each and every Dodger in the post-game

Hollywood lifestyles, what are you gonna do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
People who hate Gary are gonna loving love a full season of Higgy!

It's Romine all over again, I'm honestly impressed with how little anybody learned.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Sanchez might suck out loud but he got incredibly unlucky this year with balls in play. Go compare his batted ball data to Willy Adames, and then compare their actual statlines, it's ridiculous.

And I usually hate boiling down stuff to "Oh he was just unlucky" but the dude hit the poo poo out of the ball and never got anything to show for it for the entire season. (Higgy absolutely earned his postseason at-bats though, I'm not one of those truthers.)

Lumpy posted:

In my head world, we had Romine / Cervelli platooning.

Fine but Austin Romine is not good. Which is fine because backup catchers generally just have to be passable, but people want to pretend he was good!

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Nodoze posted:

At some point you need to translate that onto the field, otherwise you end up like Ricky Nolasco where everyone fawns over your peripherals but the results never actually live up to the underlying numbers

Yeah, I'm only willing to give him the benefit of the doubt this season because of how short it was. But also if he can be defensively average, even his 2019 line is above-average catcher output, it's a hosed up position.

Mostly with Gary I just don't see how the Yankees get rid of him and get anything of value, and I don't really see any way they get a real upgrade at C regardless.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Nodoze posted:

The Yankees need more players who hit for average and not guys who hit .180 with suspect defense.

Catchers as a cohort mostly do nothing except hit .180 unless you want to sign JT Realmuto to a long-term deal right now. Nobody is saying the Yankees need more Garys.

EDIT: Oh wait the catcher market is opening up!
https://twitter.com/Mets/status/1321556364607578116

Inspector_666 fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Oct 28, 2020

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

boroda posted:

Joc: Oh Joc. I love you Joc. I wish you fit in to the makeup of this team better, but it seems like it's probably time to say goodbye. Sign with an AL team so that you can continue to reign in Joctober.

I would like to see the Yankees make a run at Joc. Lefty OF bat plus finally I get to root for a Jew on the team. I do wish his BB% was still above 12 like it used to be, though.

bawfuls posted:

I expect the Dodgers will work with Will on his framing

his bat is too valuable to give up on him

How was Smith graded framing-wise as a prospect? Framing is notoriously un-sticky year-over-year.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Der Meister posted:

Never seen the word hizzoner used before and I find it extremely annoying. Is that used commonly or just in this rag?

Also lolmets

It's just how The Post refers to the mayor.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Good news Astros fans:

https://twitter.com/jakemkaplan/status/1321842918580228096

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Sydin posted:

Literally any team in baseball right now could go out and get a proven left handed closer who just put up a 1.37 FIP and is only 30 for a 1/10 commitment. All they have to do is claim him. That's it. No prospect capital, no negotiation, no nothing. Just go claim him and bam, your bullpen is insanely better at what should be below market cost.

If nobody claims Hand then nobody is getting paid this offseason. That tweet by Bauer about considering any offers from any MLB or NPB team is looking a lot less like a joke and more him realizing Japan might be the only place where he can get paid next year.

Man this is really bad.

I will be absolutely livid if he goes unclaimed, both for selfish "He would make my team better" reasons and also the obvious larger issue.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

DurosKlav posted:

Countdown until he alienates his first player.

Apparently there are already issues among team personnel (although that might be FO at this point) over the hiring so I have a feeling it's gonna be a short wait.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
That loving Hinch thing is amazing, how is this not performance art.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

MrMojok posted:

Yes Dernald, I'm sure Kayleigh and her husband appreciate that. He was cut by the Rays two months prior to the WS, because he gave up two dongs in four innings, one of which hit the loving roof of some stadium, and has been unemployed since.

The continued insistence that Gilmartin is good at baseball is a hilarious little subplot going on with the Trump staff.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Sydin posted:

So wait why is Trump obsessed with Gilmartin, I completely missed this dumb subplot. Is he a CHUD or something?

He's married to the press secretary.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Both of the options the Yankees declined are completely unsurprising, this is the second or third time they've done this with Gardner and it's best for everybody that Happ get a change of scenery.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Didn't Morton say it was Tampa or retirement at this point? I doubt anybody is going to blow him away with an offer that would change his mind this winter.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Hizzoner had his ego stroked to completion and now the rest of the world can carry on.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Bauer is clubhouse cancer too but nobody wants to talk about that for some reason.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

bawfuls posted:

There were some pretty strong signals that he was clubhouse cancer in Cleveland, based on what people said when he left.

I mean, didn't Bauer himself tell a story about how nobody liked him on one team so he went up to everybody in the clubhouse and asked them to their face why they didn't like him and his main takeaway was that he was just too smart and they were all jealous? There's nothing about him that doesn't seem insufferable.

EDIT: From his SI profile "I don’t know if I’m not afraid of sticking middle fingers in people’s faces, or if I enjoy it. But I end up doing that a lot."

EDIT2: I mean I'm not gonna root against him or switch teams if he was on the Yankees (Cole existing should preclude this from even being an issue) but it's like how I need to root for Chapman to get saves: It sucks.

Inspector_666 fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Oct 30, 2020

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Bregor posted:

Sucks for Carlos Santana, he’s been legit good but his option was something crazy like $19 mil that Cleveland just had no chance of picking up.

He's a switch hitter who has always had well-above-average OBPs and 2020 was his first time with a sub-100 wRC+ and even though he's 34 I'd normally think he'll be fine but this year who the gently caress knows.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

mcmagic posted:

Idiot Yankee fans want to trade for Lindor and let DJLM walk.

This is the only way I wouldn't be livid if DJ walked.

elentar posted:

It almost seems ridiculous to say it, but who's gonna take on a one-year $20 million arbitration case? Is this where the Mets actually start spending money?

Whoever trades for Lindor has to be thinking extension immediately like what happened with Betts.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Intruder posted:

I'm sorry but if you can't enjoy someone in the throes of maximum cope saying Qanon was actually a dem conspiracy I don't even know what to say

Yeah I have Huff muted on Twitter and I hate when people RT shitbags just to dunk on them but that one is worth seeing.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

bawfuls posted:

Interesting choice for SD. He's got 4 years of service time right now, so they already had control of him through any potential TJS recovery. Seems like the team is expressing some confidence in Clevenger and offering him stability during his recovery.

Yeah it's a shockingly uh, altruistic decision from SD given that they are paying more than his current arb salary.

I can see why they wouldn't want to try some kind of non-tender-and-re-sign situation but it's ~3$m more than I would have probably expected.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

davecrazy posted:

If the Mets sign DJ I’ll inject the Chud Yankee fan talk radio/Twitter tears directly into my veins.

The Mets signing DJ because of this would be an amazing troll move but would also mean they continue to play half the roster out of position which would be very Mets.

(They should use the "found money" here to sign Springer.)

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

bawfuls posted:

are BP fastballs typically 95+?

"BP" as we usually use it isn't, but there's also BP that's a machine setup on the mound that can definitely get up there. During the intrasquad stuff way back at the beginning of Summer Camp, they showed some post-game machine ABs that a bunch of Yankees were taking.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
I think you have to bundle the Stanton and Yelich and Ozuna, etc. trades together in the greater context of the Marlins tearing down what should have been a competitive team for iffy payroll-cutting purposes if you really want it to be #2 on that list.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Carlosologist posted:

Snell was going to get traded no matter what because of the upcoming salary commitments. Lord knows that Tampa values a clean salary sheet than actual good players you have to pay

I remember when the Rays bought out Snell's arb years and crowed about how they do too make big signings and keep homegrown stars around!

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

All of this stuff is so nuts and it's amazing how "We don't want to pay your salary" can be used as a cudgel against Rosario in arb. Nobody wanted to trade for him, so they put him on waivers, but that means every team knows there's still a decent chance he gets non-tendered so they can sign him for cheaper and all of this is somehow proof he's "overpaid" :argh:

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

secular woods sex posted:

I spent awhile trying to figure out just how much perceived velocity a pitcher would gain from being 7’3”.

I didn’t get there but if Ilgauskas was a pitcher and his extension was 115% of his height, the ball would be a little more than 52 feet away from the plate when he let go. Most pitchers are around the 54 foot mark, I think.

I guess best case is you get Randy Johnson but even more terrifyingly hard to track when he's delivering the ball.

6' 10" Chris Young apparently picked up ~6mph of perceived velocity back in 2009 with a release point under 50' from the plate, but getting to that required some frame-by-frame video slicing so who knows how generalizable any of that is.

EDIT: Here's an article that says each foot of extension gives you 1.67mph of perceived velo on your FB based on 2020 numbers.

Inspector_666 fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Dec 2, 2020

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Julio Cruz posted:

Jon Rauch was 6'10" and absolutely terrible and not even very fast so height alone isn't enough

Height alone isn't enough, and taller doesn't even necessarily mean larger extension (although obviously it does generally correlate.)

It's still fun to think about, though.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Sydin posted:

Cubs non-tender Martinez, which means they traded a mid-level prospect for a guy who went 0-21 for them this season, and then got cut. :lol::lol::lol:

Also picked up some guy named Robert Stock off waivers from the Red Sox, no idea who that is.

Amazing how quickly Martinez went from A Dude to nothing.

Robert Stock is a pro follow on Twitter and he can throw hard.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
David Dahl and Archie Bradley are the two non-tender names that I want the Yankees to go after as of right now.

I kind of can't believe the Reds non-tendered Bradley given how much interest there was in him around the deadline and the fact that he's been good for a few years and has Closer Experience.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Scwharber gets the boot, meanwhile:

https://twitter.com/BNightengale/status/1334297939951243265?s=20

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

ScottyJSno posted:

America is a dumb country.

Oh my God I just approved that guy's request to join an EW splinter group I'm admin of, and I almost denied it just because of his loving Dick Dorkins profile pic and I wish I had seen this before I pushed the button.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

R.D. Mangles posted:

EAT poo poo

you loving ted cruz looking motherfucker

"We're looking at 30 teams with zero revenue." is why I refuse to entertain even good-faith talk from (non-FO) people about salary cap/floors. Teams have sliced their revenue streams up so finely that they can pick any number for "baseball revenue" and have it be technically true.

Or are the Cubs saying Marquee made literally 0 dollars which seems like A Bigger Problem than non-tenders.

Also describing COVID lockdowns as a loving "work stoppage" gently caress all the way off you dipshit.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
The Athletic should be blowing up Sam's phone right now if they know what's good for them.

bawfuls posted:

definitive EW host rankings

Sam
Meg
Jeff
Ben

I could see putting Ben ahead of Jeff, but the other two are clearly better than both. I like Meg a lot but I prefer Sam because imo he comes up with the most creative/unusual ways of thinking about things.

Ben's job (I think he's actually said this before) is to be a steady hand on the tiller, so people usually rank him at the bottom because he kind of subsumes his personality in the name of consistency.

Niwrad posted:

The Cubs are making a few bucks a month off every cable subscriber in the Chicago area to run poker and tape delay tennis matches right now.

See, not baseball revenue!

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Popete posted:

So long minor leagues, I guess the NCAA will be the new player development path.

I don't think the development pipeline changes much, it just means less baseball for people to watch.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

I'm surprised he got a "reasonable" deal this year, I figured he was gonna be a dude who was wildly lowballed and wouldn't sign until right near ST.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Shiroc posted:

Santana was really good in 2019 and solid pretty much every other year. I don't think you can really pin anything too meaningful on last season just because everything was a mess. That seems like a good deal for KC with ~*veteran leadership*~. Cleveland is going to replace him with ???.

His >.500 SLG from 2019 might be a fluke but the dude gets on base like a machine. I definitely don't think KC is gonna regret having him.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Full season minor league featuring players that more than 5 other people might have heard of? Hell yeah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

I would love to be able to root for Taillon's comeback with him in pinstripes but I worry about where they would want to slot him into the rotation :ohdear: