Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

Popete posted:

Cubs will probably do nothing, idk what the plan is going forward. Kinda seems like they might just give up and start over. Or do the usual and hope everything turns around this next year and sign a handful of aging veterans who will get 50 PAs each.

Plug Alzolay into the rotation, try to resign Lester to a Wainwright type deal and call it a winter unless anyone wants a slightly used Bryant or Schwarber because they forgot to update their scouting reports with 2020 numbers.

Then next year they can proudly announce former Secretary of Education and Cubs co-owner Betsy DeVos will be handling the overhaul of baseball operations like she did with America's schools!

What are the odds the NL DH is in effect for 2021 but only announced during spring training to keep the NL clubs from offering deals?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

Timby posted:

They'll split the difference. I fully expect MLB to try its hardest to do a 162-game schedule, but there's no way stadiums will be at full capacity, and the league will use public gathering limits (e.g., Chicago) as an excuse to try to get the MLBPA to agree to something like a 20 percent universal salary rollback.

Only 20%? There's going to be a declined option/non-tender bloodbath, every team is going to dive under the salary ca....umm, luxury tax threshold and we're probably going to see an avalanche of 1 year deals before the CBA expires in a year. Many fans will happily lick the boot.

Then owners are going to make it all up, with mob-style interest the second a new CBA is settled by expanding by 4 teams instead of two.

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

Sydin posted:

So here's the question that's gonna make a lot of Cubs fans angry at me: if the market is such that the Cardinals don't think Wong is worth his $12.5M option, do the Cubs think Rizzo is worth his $16.5M one?

Wong has only had 2 seasons with an OPS+ (barely) above Rizzo's career worst this year, Rizzo will be back.

The real question is will they let him walk or will Jed drop big bucks on a 1B with back issues on the wrong side of 30.

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

^^^ What about Cano and Swisher?

R.D. Mangles posted:

the only people in baseball i hate more than tony larussa are the people who own my favorite team

Maybe this will help.

https://twitter.com/mlbtraderumors/status/1321979616303718400?s=21

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

Vernacular posted:

Not great timing with my recent avatar purchase :I

There is no solidarity but Owners of Small Time Professional Sports Franchises That Led Them Into Bankruptcy Through Sheer Mismanagement solidarity.

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

elentar posted:

It almost seems ridiculous to say it, but who's gonna take on a one-year $20 million arbitration case? Is this where the Mets actually start spending money?

Theo, is that you????

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

Bird in a Blender posted:

Tony being a drunk might have been seen as a positive.

He drove drunk The Right Way.

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

more falafel please posted:

Then do you put Javy at 2B? He's obviously fine there but he's been clear that he prefers SS. Or would you put Ha-seong at 2B at least as a trial?

Just sayin', he's played some 3rd in the KBO.

I'm guessing he costs under 18-20 million a year...

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

Sydin posted:

He could move to 2B and also has played some 3B in the KBO with success and scouts say he's got the arm for it. Ha-seong sounds like just a really good IF defender in general, loving get him and figure out his position later.

The other tidbit I keep seeing about him is that best case scenario he’s going to struggle with velocity early on and will have adjust, if he can.

Just like every other Cub hitter!

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

RC and Moon Pie posted:

Which era/attitude of Ted?

- The enthusiastic but clueless owner
- Let's tank the Hawks so we can move them to Charlotte
- Hands off completely
- Deep pockets
- Vince, I'm in the rasslin' business

How about the "gently caress you Jobu. I do it myself" era, which lasted all of a day.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

blossommirage posted:

I can't imagine we see expansion soon. I'd be fine if they made the wild card game into a best of three, but other than that, expanded playoffs are gross. Hell, even the Brewers hated it.

The owners are gonna do it ASAP once the CBA and Corona are behind them- they want the quick infusion of cash and expanded playoffs.

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

So do we get a taco again for this or what?

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

Luigi Thirty posted:

What a great offseason :suicide:

For fans of most teams this may be as good as it gets.

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

Popete posted:

Yeah basically this. Plus it would just be cool to see a 49 year old pitcher still going in the majors.

Anyone older than me is a-ok at this point.

I'm so old I remember people making a deal out of Steve Avery being the first MLB player born in the 70's.

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

Niwrad posted:

This better happen.

I thought they'd keep him. Especially after Theo took off early and left them an additional $10 million to play with this year.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w2pxnpArd5A&t=23s

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

Popete posted:

Ownership is really trying to kill this sport to save a few bucks in the immediate future.

Future issues are the next guy's problem, now get back to strangling that golden goose.

It's time for someone in congress to invoke the magic incantation that makes MLB owners take note "Anti-trust exemption". May be burn in eternal hell, but John McCain knew these magic words, he also liked seeing himself on TV and this is why MLB cares about PEDs nowadays.

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

Popete posted:

Uhhhhhh what the gently caress? This sucks, I really liked Len.

My only hope is they promote the guy who broadcasts for the Tennesse Smokeys, Mick Gillispie because I always liked when he did play by play for spring training games, he has a very old school announcer voice.

Isn't taking a radio job a step down?

Yeah, but you’re not forced to wear a suit and tie and babysit Mark Grace and a cavalcade of guests. Allegedly it’s going to be Chris Myers next year.

Has any ownership team burned 108 years of goodwill faster than the Ricketts?

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

more falafel please posted:

According to the Athletic article, Len just really wants to do radio, and has talked about how he wants to call a World Series. You don't get to call a World Series on TV unless you're Joe Buck and Whoever Hates Baseball The Most

There’s always the potential win-win of taking out Joe Buck, but Len doesn’t seem the type. He also doesn’t seem the type that would burn bridges on his metaphoric way out of town, but maybe that’s legit. I’m sure stories will come out in time.

I hope Chris Myers isn’t the pick since he’s overall just......there? Could be worse though, if the Ricketts family wanted to find a TV guy with similar views to theirs and there’s a drive into deep left field by Castellanos, that will be a home run and so that’ll make it a four run ball game.

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

Mustached Demon posted:

What else they gonna do? Change Wrigley Field to gently caress the poors stadium?

Have you seen their ticket prices from 2015 to today? They already did, and took the surrounding area with it.

Gotta dust off this gem.

https://twitter.com/madkenney/status/1218535475079593984?lang=en

Monkey's paw curls and you won't be booing Marquee Network in a year because nobody is watching...

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

The Pussy Boss posted:

hmmm ok maybe farhan knows what he's doing

I have nothing against the signing, but if getting Javy Baez to swing at a slider low and away is your standard then boy howdy do you have some arms to pick through!

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

Whooping Crabs posted:

the Cleveland Tourism Videos

The We're Not Detroits.

Honest Answer: The Naps.

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

Slimy Hog posted:

The Cleveland Antifa

Between the Naps and the Indians there was this:

https://ohiohistorycentral.org/w/Cleveland_Molly_Maguires

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

Squall posted:

Cobb County Crackers.

That's like the Chicago Chicagoans, or the Wisconsin Cardiac Patients.

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

FlamingLiberal posted:

I feel like half of MLB Trade Rumors' site right now is the Reds discussing trading pitchers. I guess they're just going to blow it up?

Nobody else is trying so why not pocket the 30-40 million?

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

Good to see Pittsburgh keeping up with the competition for once!

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

Sydin posted:

I loving hate this piece of poo poo team.

If Gore was coming along I could buy a "reset" for 2022-23, but Kyle loving Davies?

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

Don't give me hope!

https://twitter.com/faridyu/status/1343744239818178564?s=20

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

marioinblack posted:

The Cubs walking in like a three stooges bit makes me feel better about the Rays lovely ownership

I would too if I were you. Tampa sucks, but in a very specific way that encourages a degree of competitiveness. Just don't get too attached to anyone.

The Cubs are using the excuse of a global pandemic to finish closing the window they've been ignoring for the last 3 years.

ScumLord69 posted:

Chicago people feel free to join us on the South Side for the good baseball times. You know at least our manager likes to party.

As long as you party "the right way".

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

Traxis posted:

https://twitter.com/JeffPassan/status/1344026585398206466?s=19

I bet MLB teams were offering him the minimum, if that

Not gonna lie, I'd love to see more rank and filers move to Japan or Korea and get paid. If you're likely some 5th-10th+ round pick (If we ever get those again) and you're looking at a bonus of 1000 bucks and a plane ticket you'd think at some point it would make sense for your totally-not-an-agent to make a few calls for you.

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

Bregor posted:

Pay the beefy lads and also gently caress the Ricketts forever

This man in your friend, he fights for freedom.

Sure am glad the Ricketts blew their renovation/take over the neighborhood budget by a slim 100% and froze spending on the team for a couple years before this.

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

Sydin posted:

Cubs could have at least gotten a lottery ticket or something for him but now they get nothing, lol.

Think of the financial flexibility!

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

He didn't have enough funk

Cheer yourself up with the 2021 Giants Promotional Video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7gjfZABX8Kw

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

Even if you think Jon Lester is cooked, and I do, there are worse uses of 5 million bucks when you simply need 3-4 more human bodies capable of starting games this year. Add to that the whole “Best FA in Cubs history” that didn’t get a goodbye thanks to the rona, a fig leaf for the Ricketts clan’s desire to tank, or at the very least a veteran you might be able to flip at the deadline- which is what I thought tanks were looking for yet...

Tom Ricketts posted:

I would always take Jed’s recommendation on what to do with what happens on the field, but I don’t think anybody’s tearing anything down.

Gordon Wittenmyer posted:

The mandate from ownership and the business side wouldn’t allow Hoyer to make an offer. And even when the Nationals offer came in, and Lester gave the Cubs a chance to counter, the Cubs were “not close” to the Nats — perhaps as low as $2 million.

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

Wait, teams are allowed to sign players for more than 2 million?

That doesn't seem right...

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

Sydin posted:

My favorite part is that a lot of fans defended it on the grounds that okay yeah, maybe Quintana wasn't that fantastic overall for the Cubs, but his contract was so good that Theo had the flexibility to go out and sign Darvish!

The Ricketts are garbage, but that doesn’t mean the trade was awful at the time. Quintana was a good #2-3 starter and his contract did make him more valuable. He just sucked at pitching and doing dishes.

In hindsight yeah the whole premise was bullshit since the Ricketts decided to take a few offseasons off before the ‘rona gave them an excuse to burn it all down to pay down their Wrigleyville amusement part debt, but the deal itself at the time wasn’t an egregious overpay. Eloy is/was a stud but Cease at the time, and maybe even today still comes reliever risk on top of the teenage TJ on his resume.

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

Sydin posted:

https://twitter.com/Adams_Steve/status/1352056891673870338

Cubs officially getting outbid by NPB teams lmao

If I recall correctly, I think it was the Cubs insider blog that mentioned when a deal like this goes down, the NPB team will send a million dollars or so to "buy" the players rights.

Which actually means they sold 2019 PCL Pitcher of the year (I know, lol PCL) and at the time probable 5th starter Colin Rea for a million bucks.

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

bawfuls posted:

sounds like the union is wising up a bit

Which means we're likely to see a doubling down of the owners PR efforts for the next month, such as:

https://twitter.com/Ken_Rosenthal/status/1353733619953643524?s=20

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

UZR IS BULLSHIT posted:

Seems like all those Arizona mayors just want cover to open up Spring Training to fans, but they already don't give a gently caress about having packed bars and restaurants so I don't really understand what they think they're accomplishing

I wonder how many of those elected officials have had, shall we say, conversations with team owners about this in the last few weeks all while yelling for months to open things up.

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

R.D. Mangles posted:

maybe it's just my media consumption, but it seems even the mainstream sports press, such as it exists, is far more pro-labor and anti-owner than it was in '94, and while i suppose there is also a screeching right-wing cultural outrage machine, i think more people than owners expect would side with the players. whether that has any effect, who's to say-- sports from a business standpoint are in unprecedented ground and so much money is tied to TV deals, but i think owners who are expecting the general public to uniformly turn against "greedy players" are going to have a harder time when fans are genuinely pissed that they are not even trying to win and it's apparent even to sports radio mutants that owners are being brazen and perverse with their finances.

Never underestimate the deep cultural ties Americans have with Crab Mentality.

The general population is probably more sympathetic to labor than anytime in the last 30 years, NL Central fans even more so, but "I get hosed everyday at my job too" is a weird mental hurdle for way too many people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

Remember the Cubs' ace the season where they lost 101 games? Yeah he's 8 years older now. Perfect!

Maybe flip him for Ike Turner or Mike Tyson at the deadline.