Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

UZR IS BULLSHIT
Jan 25, 2004

bawfuls posted:

He just completed his big payday (4 yrs $64M) and the perception at the time he signed that was he took a slightly below-market deal to stay in LA. He not only reached his peak performance as a Dodger but he grew up in Long Beach rooting for the team. He has long been considered a leader in that clubhouse and the emotional core of these recent teams.

If the Dodgers are not criminally stingy, they should be able to work out a deal to keep him in LA the rest of his career, especially with the NL DH likely to return if not in 21 then in 22 and beyond.

This all assumes he isn't permanently debilitated by covid :ohdear:

I actually kind of hope they don't bring him back, what he did last night was seriously bullshit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UZR IS BULLSHIT
Jan 25, 2004
Our country just absolutely cannot let go of the 80s, gently caress sakes

UZR IS BULLSHIT
Jan 25, 2004
The Saints provided a unique experience even within the context of being minor league baseball. MLB will probably sanitize the product, sadly

UZR IS BULLSHIT
Jan 25, 2004

loving dumb as poo poo

UZR IS BULLSHIT
Jan 25, 2004
Lol they let fans attend the World Series but sure I totally buy that they don't want to spread covid around at spring training (with no fans lol)

UZR IS BULLSHIT
Jan 25, 2004
Screenshot incriminating tweets, people

UZR IS BULLSHIT
Jan 25, 2004

UZR IS BULLSHIT
Jan 25, 2004
I have to imagine that along with those who think it's a liberal hoax, there's probably a ton of MLBers who are antivax. I bet most of them don't get the shot at all. I also don't believe MLB had any actual covid protocol last season so I'm expecting plenty more outbreaks this season lol

UZR IS BULLSHIT
Jan 25, 2004
Lol if you think that healthy 20 and 30 year olds are getting inoculated before July

UZR IS BULLSHIT
Jan 25, 2004
I mean I basically agree with you guys on that, but it's a very cynical, nihilistic agreement

I still don't think the players will be vaccinated before ST or probably even the regular season tho, considering there's no plan for making it happen and it needs to be happening like right now

UZR IS BULLSHIT fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Jan 5, 2021

UZR IS BULLSHIT
Jan 25, 2004

LeeMajors posted:

The answer is to fix the loving vaccine rollout not just throw our hands up and shuffle the vaccine to less-essential citizens.

I want baseball too, but gently caress.

Nothing about our response to this poo poo is ever going to be fixed lol

UZR IS BULLSHIT
Jan 25, 2004
He should be not just banned but memory holed from this thread

UZR IS BULLSHIT
Jan 25, 2004
Seems like all those Arizona mayors just want cover to open up Spring Training to fans, but they already don't give a gently caress about having packed bars and restaurants so I don't really understand what they think they're accomplishing

UZR IS BULLSHIT
Jan 25, 2004

What do all those mayors get out of this though?

I know what the obvious answer is, but I feel like the owners could pull this off without the cost of bribing all those people. So why bother?

UZR IS BULLSHIT
Jan 25, 2004

ScottyJSno posted:

Tanaka back to Japan.

https://twitter.com/Rakuten__Eagles/status/1354708572576370691?s=19

I saw him pitch in Sendai in 2010. The only NPB game I ever went to. My wife threw my Rakuten hat away when we moved to America. :argh:

Edit:
Lol 2 years $8.6M per year. MLB financial are a joke. The dude is 32. Is the Kluber deal really better than that? IMO no.

That can't possibly be accurate

E: like seriously, you must have missed a decimal somewhere. Here's the top salaries in NPB last year:

https://nbakki.hatenablog.com/entry/Top_100_Salaries_of_NPB_Players_in_2020

UZR IS BULLSHIT
Jan 25, 2004

IcePhoenix posted:

Did you misread the dollar figure as Yen instead of Dollars? Tanaka being the highest paid player in NPB makes sense to me.

For some reason I thought he was way older and figured he was going on a retirement tour.

Apologies to the goon I quoted, that really is a damning sign of the owners priorities.

UZR IS BULLSHIT
Jan 25, 2004
What in the ever living gently caress is the point of that :psyduck:

UZR IS BULLSHIT
Jan 25, 2004
Lol introducing both ties and expanded playoffs would be a crime against the sport. You'd have teams making the playoffs with 75 wins

UZR IS BULLSHIT
Jan 25, 2004
Speaking of The Show, I bought 20 last year, the first time I'd bought a sports video game since the 2K era on Dreamcast. Will last years version keep up with this years roster moves? I'm assuming no

UZR IS BULLSHIT
Jan 25, 2004
lol at Russian trollbots being aimed at baseball twatter

UZR IS BULLSHIT
Jan 25, 2004

So the normal spring training attendance then

UZR IS BULLSHIT
Jan 25, 2004
Can't wait to see what unexpected consequences this has lmao

UZR IS BULLSHIT
Jan 25, 2004

Chamale posted:

I wonder if you can quantify the value of taking longer at-bats (other than the impact of more walks and strikeouts). We know that tired pitchers perform worse, although that has to be untangled from the times-through-order penalty.

Pitches per plate appearance was definitely a hot poo poo stat back when analytics was called sabermetrics

UZR IS BULLSHIT
Jan 25, 2004

bawfuls posted:

Cricket is the perfect sport for people who bemoan the increase in home runs and long for the days of small-ball and great defensive plays. There are way more balls in play and fielding without gloves is aesthetically impressive.

The best summary comparison I've come across:

In baseball, outs are common and runs are rare
In cricket, runs are common and outs are rare

Alternatively, if you're a NEVER BUNT HIT DINGERS person, you can watch Big Bash League or other T20 competitions. Truly a sport for everyone

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UZR IS BULLSHIT
Jan 25, 2004
Why in the gently caress would all that come out in a speech to the Rotary Club? Do I just have no idea what the gently caress the Rotary Club is??