Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

so what you're saying is you don't have the official hat. Sorry that means your team didn't win which means we have to assign it to the [wheel slows down clicking] twins. Congratulations twins fans

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Sydin posted:

The scouting reports I've seen about Ha-seong are:

-He's a legit GG-caliber SS and there's no reason that shouldn't translate to MLB
-He has a long, fairly loopy swing that works well in the KBO where average FB velo isn't much higher than 91-92, but will make it very difficult to catch up to 95+ heat
-He on paper has the instincts, athleticism, and hand-eye coordination to adjust his swing to be productive vs MLB's higher velo, but swing changes are always a gamble

Personally I think he's worth the risk and would love to have him, but my guess is he'll cost more than nothing which will put him out of the Cubs' reach.

Then do you put Javy at 2B? He's obviously fine there but he's been clear that he prefers SS. Or would you put Ha-seong at 2B at least as a trial?

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Traxis posted:

Like the eng in english.

The answer to the next question is "like win"

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

GoatSeeGuy posted:

Just sayin', he's played some 3rd in the KBO.

I'm guessing he costs under 18-20 million a year...

No, we're already gonna trade KB and Bote for Arenado.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Johnny Bravo posted:

There are actually Dodgers fans that still have animosity towards Yu over 2017? That's insane lol

My mother-in-law, a diehard Cubs fan, is still pissed about him for 2017/2018. We never should have signed him, the Cubs always blew him up when they played the Dodgers (IIRC darvish has faced the cubs twice, once with TEX where he gave up 2 in 4.1, and once with LA in the NLCS, where he gave up 1 in 6.1 and took a bases loaded four pitch walk off Carl's Jr. by just staring him down and daring him to throw a strike) and so obviously we should have never signed him, he's trash. She maintains this after being the Cy runner up, because writers don't know what they're talking about, and he can't pitch for poo poo.

I think she might have confused him with Kenya Maeda, who is also good, but we did blow him up in game 1 of the 2016 NLCS and that's a super memorable game, so.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

I have a sub but I don't want to scroll through to read "Brock for Broglio" again so I'm not going to

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

bawfuls posted:

your taco was provided by one Markus Lynn Betts, a man who's never been implicated in any kidnapping scheme

I think the Washington Generals are going to accuse him of kidnapping some basketballs from between their legs soon

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Joey Freshwater posted:

How does that work? Do they just move the previous Rochester players to St. Paul? What happens with the St. Paul players?

St. Paul was in the independent American Association, and I don't think they typically sign players to multi-year deals, so they're probably just done

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Salvor_Hardin posted:

That's kinda sad. I still fondly recall we did a corporate outing to see a SP Saints game and we all got blasted at the game and surrounding breweries.

Yeah, indy league games are great. I'm close enough to both the Gary SouthShore RailCats and the Chicago Dogs, who have a rivalry about whether it's ok to put ketchup on hot dogs.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Popete posted:

I imagine part of it is they don't want to compete against themselves for ticket/concession money. The price of MLB games today makes seeing a AAA team with near MLB quality baseball for a fraction of the cost a pretty attractive alternative.

I love minor league ball but it's a completely different experience.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

rickiep00h posted:

Also historic in that it was Big Z's last pro game.

I didn't go to the meetup, but I did see Big Z pitch an inning for the Dogs in a game that got rained out that year. He got shelled :(

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Welp, time to reset my "number of current Cubs I've run into at Noodles & Company" to zero.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

According to the Athletic article, Len just really wants to do radio, and has talked about how he wants to call a World Series. You don't get to call a World Series on TV unless you're Joe Buck and Whoever Hates Baseball The Most

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

bawfuls posted:

Sam Miller cut from ESPN, hopefully he lands somewhere better. He has always been my favorite of the EW crew

https://twitter.com/SamMillerBB/status/1334928469155704832

Sam was always way too good for ESPN and the comments on his articles proved it. I'm sure he'll land on his feet, hopefully in a way that lets him keep doing EW. Although I will say I've enjoyed the Meg & Ben episodes more than the Sam & Ben episodes since they started doing them. Meg is just great.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

R.D. Mangles posted:

Hell yeah, Big Dinger Jon

I initially sat in the LF bleachers for the game he hit his first homer, which is where I usually sit, but moved to CF above the batter's eye because there was more room to spread out. Including Lester I think there were 5 cubs dingers hit to LF that game.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Vernacular posted:

but...but it was outside???!!!?

that sucks dude. glad you and your pops stayed home

It was inside a farm & fleet

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Spoeank posted:

Yeah... a first round MLB pick decided he would rather get CTE than take his chances with baseball, I wouldn't be so dismissive of that calculus going forward because of stingy owners.

It's rough, because even if Kyler Murray ended up being MVP caliber (which, iirc he wasn't projected to be, I think he was projected as like a 2ish WAR major leaguer) he wouldn't be in the big leagues yet. So he'd be on the bus hoping he'd get paid in 4 or 5 years in arbitration, where the NFL was gonna pay him Change Your Life money right out of school. I don't know how the MLB or baseball in general gets around that problem.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Intruder posted:

Yeah Kyler already signed a fully four year guaranteed contract that he'd have to be one of the top players in MLB to reach in value through year 5 (not even counting time in the minors), and the way he's playing he'll probably be making more than Trout 2 years from now

Right, so from a baseball fan perspective I'd love it if he had stayed with the A's but odds are he would have been, like, Daniel Descalso. From a player advocate perspective I'd rather he plays in the NFL for a few years and hopefully keeps his blood-brain barrier intact and retires with gently caress You Money.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Chamale posted:

A radical proposal I've seen is to have teams pay half their revenue into a common salary pool, and players get base pay + massive bonuses for producing WAR. This would put all the focus on player development and smart drafting rather than allowing rich teams to outbid poor teams. Unfortunately, the owners would almost certainly object to paying players what they're worth, and the lack of guaranteed money could be an issue for players.

A less radical proposal is to ensure pro baseball players, major and minor, get enough pay and a pension so that anyone who signs can avoid becoming destitute because they tried to play baseball for a living. But that might slightly cut into the salaries of top talent, so the players' union probably would never go for it.

Even that pool system creates a $/WAR price point that would be leveraged against veterans, so the PA wouldn't go for it

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

R.D. Mangles posted:

i am biased because in 2019 josh bell hit something like 14 home runs in a single series against the cubs right before the all star break and i am now terrified of him

I've never looked at his Fangraphs page but he's had the "danger, this dude mashes" tag in my head for years now.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Poque posted:

I can't handle "Offsason" in the thread title anymore. mods please

Has that been there this whole time or am I getting Mandela'd

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

I'll probably never not root for the laundry, and if I can go back to wrigley in 2021 I'm gonna openly weep when I get up the ramp and see the field, but I can't see myself getting invested in the team on a day to day basis. Even the last couple years I probably couldn't have named most of the bullpen guys. I can't watch on TV legally, and I wouldn't want to anyway. Pat and Ron are great to have on doing something else, but yeah, I might be turning the Sox game on a lot more if I want something to watch.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Shiroc posted:

Cleveland and the Cubs being reflections of each other in how they both would have taken the exact paths that they did no matter who had won in 2016. Both see their window starting to close, so they actively slam it shut themselves early for cost savings.

During game 7 the cubs window had been "open" for about 15 months

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

R.D. Mangles posted:

To be fair they did not have to face the juggernaut NL superteam Dodgers.

Yeah, it would have sucked if they had to face Kershaw twice.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Sorry I don't give a poo poo about the Dodgers or rays but the WS was not an asterisk

if anything adding another round made it much harder (how many times this season did the Dodgers lose 2 in a row? what are the odds of the Dodgers losing 2 in a row to a decent team?)

If it had ended up being Marlins/cleveland or something we could talk about how it was asterisk but after the short ramp up and injuries and extra playoff round you can't tell em they didn't deserve the title. also if you dispute that the Dodgers have been the best team in baseball for the last 5 years you're insane.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

They will do whatever the states allow them to, at this point. If FL allows 20% capacity, they'll be at 20% capacity. It's just like the 2020 regular season - there was always a possibility they didn't do a season at all, but once they started there was no chance they wouldn't just finish it.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Shiroc posted:

One time I saw a game in Cleveland against the Astros in 2014 and a guy kept screaming "YOU SUCK GROSSMAN" of all people on the team. It's the only thing I've thought of every time his name comes up.

This reminds me of one of my favorite heckling experiences ever. I was in the upper deck at Yankee Stadium in 2017, and some Bronx Teens were just behind us shouting "YOU TRASH HOLLIDAY YOU FAT PIECE OF poo poo" every time Matt Holliday came up. Also, every time a ball got fouled back they were lunging to see if it was going to hit someone and shouting "WHO GETTIN DRILLED?" They were also planning which NY Giants game they were going to get tickets to, with one kid saying "no, no, week 8, Saints, watch AP blow his knee out"

Those kids ruled.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Basically, yeah, but they were like 15. It was perfect for my only YS experience.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

According to new court documents, a former Angels employee used to give a ball doctoring substance to a whole bunch of Angels player. Eventually he gave the substance to a whole bunch of players on other teams, and LAA/MLB knew all about it, until he was fired as a scapegoat

Funnily enough, Trevor Bauer was not one of the other players

https://www.latimes.com/sports/angels/story/2021-01-07/fired-angels-employee-bubba-harkins-names-players-illegal-product

Bauer does independent testing at driveline to find the best sticky stuff, he most definitely has a private blend.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

bawfuls posted:

Tommy Lasorda is dead, I guess he got out of the hospital two days ago so he could go pass his final days at home. His legacy is mixed and I am just young enough not to have any particular attachment to his managerial career. He lived a long life and never faced any repercussions for the way he treated his son.

in my childhood i remember lasorda as being "somehow older than don zimmer" but in hindsight they weren't that old at the time

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Man remember when hatsune miku pitched with a bloody sock in the alcs

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

drat, the Padres are not giving me a lot of reasons to not own a Padres hat.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

R.D. Mangles posted:

anyone think the Schwarber signing in D.C. indicates that the NL knows they're getting the DH, they just haven't announced it yet?

Also a reminder that in 2020 Schwarber basically never played DH because they didn't have another outfielder to put out there because of Budgetary Concerns.

What I've heard is that teams are operating as if there will be universal DH. Don't know if that means they're right, but that's supposedly how they're thinking.

This being a one year deal does sort of imply a DH, but for any team planning post-2021, I don't think there's any way there's not a DH after this year.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Strasburgs UCL posted:

https://twitter.com/BNightengale/status/1349802036880056320?s=20

Just what the Mets needed: a slugger who can't effectively play defense at any position. They certainly don't have enough of those.

For a max of 1.5 million and a 40-man spot, it's just a flyer/depth move. Maybe I'm just used to the Cubs doing that with every guy who "used to be pretty decent, right? Oh not since 2016"

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Sydin posted:

Cubs avoid arb with Javy, Bryant, Contreras, and Davies, which is shocking to me. I thought for sure they were going to try to hit Javy and Bryant with the max 20% salary reduction.

Bryant and Contreras' salaries will be someone else's problem before too long, and they're going to try to extend Javy to be the "see! 2016 is alive and well!" guy

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Intruder posted:

The Cubs are waiting for Kluber's arm to get a little worse so he can lose 3-5 more mph off his fastball, then sign him

Yeah, he can't be showing up Hendricks by throwing 89.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Didn't it come out that all of the stuff about Cobb being racist was made up by a writer who was basically doing a con for publicity?

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

I'm pretty broke up about it too, to be honest, and he retired almost a decade before I was born. There weren't a lot of guys I knew anything about before my time, but Aaron was one of the ones I knew the best when I was a kid. I had one of those Topps "baseball talk" players with the cards that had little records embedded on them, and the player came with a Hank Aaron card with a little interview and the Milo Hamilton call.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Poque posted:

lmao this team is going to make obscene amounts of money when in-person attendance returns and they have no players to pay

i'm still gonna pay $60 for an obstructed view seat in the back of the 200s, cry when I get up the ramp, and give val Capone $100 to get me shitfaced

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Sydin posted:

n/m I just checked that guy's twitter account and he's literally nobody, might as well have quoted xXx420W33dLord69xXx for all that their insight into trade rumors means jack poo poo.

has KatyPerrysBootyhole checked in yet?