Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
How much is turner looking to get in the free agent market. The fact that he's 35 and even with 7 very good years in a row he's only been good on the dodgers. This covid stunt is probably seen as a net positive by the average GM (look how much he loves the game) but I don't see a reasonable expectation of more than one year of very good performance out of him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

UZR IS BULLSHIT posted:

I actually kind of hope they don't bring him back, what he did last night was seriously bullshit

Zero people in the dodgers organization had a problem with it. The fact that it will continue to spread the virus to people who will get seriously ill or die is secondary to celebrating a World Series for everyone in power in baseball.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Ammat The Ankh posted:

gently caress the Dodgers

:owned:

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Der Meister posted:

Never seen the word hizzoner used before and I find it extremely annoying. Is that used commonly or just in this rag?

Also lolmets

It's was commonplace in Chicago, at least for the Daleys.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Nodoze posted:

lol, what a dumb thought. What does that matter at all

It will rule when he does something objectionable enough that they try to de hall him

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
I mean was Ozzie not available for the white Sox manager spot?

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

alpha_destroy posted:

There are two great SAS debates that haunt me because I was on the wrong side of them. One is thinking that Mike Trout was overhyped (loving oops) and the second was thinking davecrazy was wrong and unfounded in his hatred of Matt Harvey

Who was the "Mike Trout has a Mickey Mantle floor" poster (which was absurd like 3 months into trouts career) but basically a spot on comparison.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

bawfuls posted:

The only teams left without a Cy Young Award winner are Miami, Colorado, and Texas.

If only Jose hadn't decided to joyride his boat while coked up, he might have brought one to the Marlins.

It might be impossible to win a cy young out of colorado.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Drunk Canuck posted:

poo poo this is pretty much a step down for her, as she was vice president of baseball operations for the league.

But good luck in righting that ship, Ng.

I mean going from #2 anywhere to #1 somewhere is not a downgrade presuming the ownership lets her work.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
I want beefy boys to slap the long ball

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
I just want full platoon baseball with 9 awesome fielders and 9 chunky hittermen

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

I'm glad Ballwinkle didn't get the chopping block.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

seiferguy posted:

When was the last time Al Michaels announced a baseball game??

Possibly the 89 World Series

Edit: he did the 94 and 95 seasons on ABC.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
I mean I'll take unambiguously good at announcing dude Al Michaels who once did baseball over Hawk Harrelson who announced too much baseball and won last year.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

fawning deference posted:

Terribly late to the Bobby Abreu train, but in 2004, he hit .301/.428/.544 with 30 homers, 40 steals, 47 doubles, and 127 walks.

He finished 23rd in MVP voting that year, behind Juan Pierre and Steve Finley.

I mean he had a very good year but the people who got significant mvp vote share: Barrold, Beltre, Pujols, Scott Rolen, Jim Edmonds, JD Drew all had unambiguously better seasons. Juan Pierre was also good that year, they both probably were worthy of throwaway down ballot mvp votes.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

fawning deference posted:

23rd seems ridiculously low and there were players ahead of him who's seasons weren't close to as good

I agree completely, I don't pay that much attention to MVP votes after the first 4 or so, which I don't think Abreu deserved to be in. Usually the down ballot votes mean "dude who was a nice piece in a nice team" or was given a throwaway vote by the local beat reporter.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Chamale posted:

Best ERA in baseball over the past four years: Jacob deGrom, 2.52 ERA.
Mets record in deGrom's starts, past four years: 53-54

Sounds like he should have worked on his batting

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

related from this weekend:
https://twitter.com/thedailybeast/status/1340835705568804865