Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cruft

We woke up this morning and decided it was time to bring a doggo back into the house. The Roomba has gotten bored, and I haven't had to clean poo poo out of anything for almost 6 months now.

Here are the candidates:

Champ

Champ is 8 years old, and appears to be a Dog™ Brand Dog. He weighs about 60 pounds, which is about the size of the last dog we had. Seems like a solid dog. I'm personally not a fan of doggie eugenics, and Champ appears to have the same pedigree as me, namely the "my relatives screwed whatever was nearby" bloodline. In dogs this can translate to fewer health problems.

Here's a video of Champ, checkin' out the place. He seems to be pretty tuned in to people, which is something we are looking for in a doggo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iyLzZXtF-A8

Snowflake

Snowflake looks like some sort of Bichon, which means about 15 inches tall, 10 pounds at most, and doesn't "shed". But we'd have to comb his hair all the time in order to keep it from getting matted up and blocking his butthole and eyeballs.

We don't yet know what the story is about Snowflake's haircut.

Before:

After:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cruft

prepuce repurposed posted:

team snowflake here. smol dog ftw :dogcited:

My daughter is also on Team Snowflake, although just barely.

I have to admit I like the idea of giving my dog the same "tired of hair" haircut I give myself every spring.

cruft

Champ wasn't particularly happy to meet us, and as soon as he got back into his pen, his back hair went up and he was barking non stop, so he clearly wasn't digging us.

Snowball already got adopted out.

Now now we're back on the hunt.
The dog hunt.
The lapdog hunt.

cruft

ROUND TWO

We're having to cast a much wider net, now. We've quickly realized that our options within a 300-mile radius boil down to:

• Pit bull
  • Pit bull
  • Pit bull
  • Rottweiler
  • Pit bull
  • German Shepherd
  • Pit bull
  • Pit bull
  • Pit bull
  • Other

I feel like I know why there are so many pit bulls, and it sucks, because it is 100% not the doggy's fault, but also we are all in agreement that we're not in the market for a dog with potential behavioral issues. Also, our house is pretty small.

I don't know if it's because COVID-19 has turned dog adoption into a seller's market or what, but we're having a heck of a time getting any information on a doggo besides a photograph, and you're no longer allowed to drop by and play with a bunch of dogs at a shelter to see how you get along. So this is becoming challenging.

Anyway.

ROUND TWO CONTENDERS

Astra

Astra is a Chihuahua puppy. Chihuahuas are friggin' weirdo spaz dogs who live in constant fear of attack, probably because they were bred to be snacks for the Aztecs. Astra's write-up fits the profile. My grandmother had a chihuahua: after a few weeks they warm up to you and like to cuddle. Astra is housetrained despite being only 4 months old.

Jasper

Jasper was hit by a car and lost the use of his back legs, but has been rehabilitated to the point that he can walk on his own now. Apparently he needs to be reminded periodically to slow down, which probably means he derps out and drags himself around. This seems like a perfect dog for sittin' around and occasionally taking strolls around the block, which is mostly what we do here.

Jasper looks a whole lot like the little dog we had for the last 16 years, until June. This may be flavoring our opinion Jasper.

Riverdance

Riverdance is a tripod but apparently doesn't mind. The rescue's write-up on this doggo spends a whole lot of time talking about why he lost his leg, but doesn't say anything about the actual dog. This dog has a pin head and my father would be sure to remind us of this at every opportunity. I know this because when we had tiny-head-on-meat-brick dogs in the past, that's how it went. Fortunately, dogs understand actions better than words, so my dad can have his yuks and the dog would still get lots of pets.

cruft

good catte here

e: just noticed STRATEGICALLY PLACED DVD TITLE FOR CATTES

cruft

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

boy howdy do I like jasper

Yeah, so did a bunch of other people, apparently.

It's beginning to look like finding a dog to adopt in 2021 is similar to finding a PlayStation 5 in 2020. I'm seriously contemplating writing a web scraper to alert us about when new dogs show up, because the turnaround time seems to be hours.

Anyway. All of those doggos wound up getting adopted before anybody had a chance to read our applications.

ROUND THREE

We are now honing in exclusively on Chihuahuas, on account of there being a Chihuahua rescue in Albuquerque, and apparently a never-ending supply of Chihuahuas from this state and Mexico that need new homes.

Paul

Not actually named Paul, but the shelter name they gave him is horrible, so he's Paul. 11 years old. Hobbies include hypoglycemia and sleeping on your lap.

Latte

8 years old, apparently a real couch potato, so he'd fit right in. Latte picked a fight with a coyote, and only lived through it because he had two actual (as in not bite-sized) dogs backing him up. He's got a big ol' gash down his back to prove to the ladies that he's one tough mofo. Hobbies include hypoglycemia and sleeping on your lap.

Michael

This dog is only a year old, and looks like a big derp. On the shy side. Maybe not housetrained. Bigger than we've been hoping for, but our last dog was bigger than Michael so whatever. Also: beggars can't be choosers, and we are beginning to understand that we are beggars here.

Scooter

12 years old, bad depth perception, has trouble telling the difference between fingers and snausages. Honestly, so do I. Could be a winner here.

cruft fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Jan 19, 2021

cruft

:siren: we are making the 4-hour round trip to Albuquerque to meet Scooter and a chihuahua named Ruby.

cruft

Everybody please say hi to Ruby!

She's probably 8 pounds sopping wet, and she loves destroying nylabones and licking my daughter's face. The dog shelter is a freaky place for any dog, but Ruby started wagging her tail for the first time after just a couple minutes in our house.

cruft

Wow, y'all really like dogs.

Here's what we know of Ruby's story: she was probably born somewhere around Juarez, in May 2020. So she's about 8 months old. She made it into a Juarez vet in October to get spayed, and then last week she came up to Albuquerque. We asked to see her literally minutes after her profile was posted on the web site, because my wife is good at :f5:. She weighs 9 pounds, and is probably not going to get much bigger.

Here's the story we invented to fill in the gaps: Juarez never had Bob Barker to remind everybody daily to spay and neuter their pets. There are lots and lots of doggos. Ruby may have been brought in off the streets to try to adopt her out, but nobody who visited wanted her. So last week they got all her paperwork together and shipped her up to Albuquerque hoping she'd have better luck.

Last night she woke up at about 03:00 barking and growling. After we turned the lights on, she calmed down, and eventually we figured out she wanted to go out to pee. They told us at the shelter she was meticulous about peeing away from her bed, so presumably the same instinct was kicking in here. She peed about a gallon, then came in and went back to sleep. We're wondering if the growling might have been because she's not used to waking up in the same place she went to sleep, or maybe she has bad vision, or maybe she just needed to pee. It was adorably cute, either way.

This morning, we took her for a walk, and had to lift her over icy patches. It may have been the first walk she's ever been on. She wasn't sure what to do at first, and was very interested in the sounds the birds were making. By the end of the walk, which only went to the end of the block and back, she was leading the way and acting like a more confident doggo. When she got home, she pooped: outside again! It was about 1cm thick, because this dog is tiny.

Right now her main hobby appears to be licking faces. She also enjoys sleeping in laps and being carried around. She's pretty well bonded to our teenage daughter now, which is very cute. Ruby is sleeping on my daughter's lap right now as she attends World History over Google Meet.

I may be able to get some photos of her awake after she's recovered from her international travels.

cruft fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Jan 21, 2021

cruft

She's like a tiny Napoleon, tearing her Bonaparte.

cruft

pillow is bigger than dog. been thinking about this and can't sleep

This awesome dog is going places!

Probably to the pillow, and then to sleep. But those are definitely places!

cruft

I was taking Ruby photos and suddenly she decided she wanted to be on the bed.

LOL

cruft

Private first class hairman :patriot:

Glad to see this dog finally made it onto that cushion.

Good dog.

cruft

Before we decided to get a dog, I said we didn't have enough urine-stained rugs in the house.

We do now.

cruft

She's became very comfortable here. Engaging her in play was awkward, I had to basically force her onto her back and then jam my hand in her mouth. But she got the message pretty quickly and it made a huge difference.

Now she's regularly spazzing out like this, exposing her belly. That means she no longer fears we'll eviscerate her, which is good.

cruft fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Feb 11, 2021

cruft

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

If you don't have it already, purchase Nature's Miracle Laundry Boost to add to the detergent when you wash your clothes. It will destroy the enzimes in cat urine and actually get the scent out of those clothes.

Seconding Nature's Miracle. The entire line is good stuff, as far as I can tell.

cruft

biosterous posted:

(more here: https://postimg.cc/gallery/QVtC122)

we have changed her name from Shakira to Kira (i prefer 1-2 syllable names for cats). she is friendly and is bravely exploring the apartment (she wanted to get out of her safe space room pretty quickly and explore). we love her!

Good lookin' cat right here. Seems like it's doing cat-appropriate things with yarn already. I'm no cat expert but this seems like what you want in a cat.

cruft

Dear friends,

It has come to my attention that I am the cruelest dog owner on earth, on account of I would not let Ruby eat a green meeple from the Carcassonne game.

Your ashamed pal,

cruft

cruft

Teddy Thunders posted:

Just mom things.

I knew I liked you from the moment you greeted me by saying you liked me, but we also appear to have the same phone, which really seals the deal.

Obligatory dog photo:

cruft

xcheopis posted:

Little cow doo doo doo doo doo doo

drat you.

cruft

Teddy Thunders posted:

Pixel crue!

She's a beautiful pupper. How's she holding down the job of being royalty?

We think she might be hypoglycemic, or maybe she's just an rear end in a top hat, but she sure likes to be warm, and she's lazy as poo poo. Like I thought we were sedentary but this dog makes us look like olympic athletes. She's happy to go on walks any time, but it's -20° out so she's more happy to sleep under a blanket.

Here she is next to a power tool. I'm doing this in the hopes that when I turn it on later to trim her nails she won't flip out.

cruft

I was really rooting for that cat getting the string out of the box. Disappointed at the conclusion. Keep trying, cat buddy.

cruft

biosterous posted:

the terrible secret is that the pipe cleaner is knotted at both ends, so it will never leave the box

here is an apology picture:

Non-dog owner spotted.

Noob. You think a cardboard box has permanence.

cruft

(he got the carrot)

:peanut:

cruft

The latest OS update broke my ability to use the external monitor through the USB hub, so I'm taking the opportunity to be a lazy rear end and sit around various couches instead of standing at my desk all day.

Right now I'm in the dining/living/entry room and Ruby's on the dog perch I built her.

cruft

xcheopis posted:

Gotta keep an eye out for possible squirrel incursions or maybe another dog

You would not believe the poo poo that goes down on the other side of the thing you can see through but cannot walk through no matter how many times you paw at it.

Seriously, all kinds of poo poo goes down. Dogs and people, yes. Also cats. And deer. And phantoms that only the dog can see. Bears. Mail carriers that ignore her no matter how loud she is.

The worst part is there's this gigantic metal monster that comes by and steals all the food the people put into the big green food storage container outside. She flips her poo poo about it and nobody seems to understand, even though it happens over and over. She probably thinks we just aren't good at remembering that we've put all our delicious food in there. And yet, we keep putting more food in there, every day, never seeming to question where it goes. People are stupid.

cruft

deep dish peat moss posted:

Heres my cat Oz on his first visit to the vet, before I adopted him

I'm going to pretend the human is holding the kitten aloft in celebration of a victory over... something. Scabies, maybe.

cruft

Dear BYOB Pets Gang,

I have some... disturbing news about our new dog Ruby. Please be sure you are sitting down for this. You may be tempted to think this is an excuse to post cute dog photos, but please believe me when I tell you this is a very serious investigation.

Ruby, aka "Rubi" in the Spanish paperwork, and henceforth known as "dog A", was presented as an 8-year-old chihuahua mix. I think breeds are a bullshit concept but this is what we were told, and we're going to stick with the facts here.

I have done some Internet Sleuthing and was able to obtain this photograph of a dog right after she had her uterus removed by the vet in Juárez. The photo's date is 2020-Nov-18:

This dog bears a striking resemblance to "dog A". The vet is the same one who signed the paperwork for "dog A"'s surgery. The coloring is an exact match to "dog A", the surgery wound location is in the exact same place, and the shaved area matches "dog A" exactly.

Let us move forward with the presumption that the pictured dog is in fact "dog A".

Curious about "dog A"'s story, I kept digging. I found this photo, on the Facebook page of a group who transports dogs from "high kill" areas to "low kill" areas. It was dated 2021-Jan-17:

This also appears to be "dog A". Note the similar coloring, tongue in position to lick the photographer's face, and, interestingly, the sweater. This sweater was featured in her listing on the shelter where we picked her up. Unfortunately this evidence has been lost, but we have multiple witnesses willing to testify that they saw this same sweater on "dog A" in the adoption listing as "photo 2". As a point of interest, here is a screen capture of "photo 1", taken 2021-Jan-19:

We have established that "dog A" was at a Juárez vet on or around November 18. The dog was then driven to a shelter in Albuquerque on January 17, and adopted three days later, on January 20.

Ladies and Gentlemen of BYOB, I would now like to present a photo posted to the Facebook page for "Muttlove Juárez" on 2020-Nov-26. This is a rescue which takes dogs off the streets, gets them medical care, and attempts to adopt them out. It seems there are a lot of dogs on the streets in Juárez. But that's beside the point. Ladies and Gentlemen, I assert that the photo you are about to see is, without question, "dog A", and that the text added by "Muttlove Juárez" casts serious doubt over the true identity of "dog A".

Please prepare yourselves.

Ladies and Gentlemen, the photo:

WHO IS DOG A?!?!?!?

cruft

Confession time: in the process of writing up that post, I realized the dog in the surgery photo is a different dog.

Don't tell though. It's more interesting to think our dog is a spy with multiple aliases.

It seems there are a lot of stray dogs in Juárez. Kinda helps you understand what Bob Barker was on about.

cruft

Stoner Sloth posted:

friend, this just means that your dog is a good enough spy to have put out false leads and decoys to throw you off the scent

:eek:

:dance:

cruft

Beans is a :krad: name for a dog.

cruft

biosterous posted:

Kira stepped on my mouse and keyboard in such a way that left my youtube video and brought me right to byob :psyduck:

here is a pic, i guess she wanted me to post it!

Nice work, nice cat, high fives all around.

cruft

I just got back from the vet, who thinks our 9-month-old dog is probably more like 2 or 3 years old, based on dental tartar.

Also, she may have ringworm. And possibly some sort of liver condition. So we're running an assload of blood tests.

We'll get this dog sorted out one way or another, but it looks like we won't be going to Disneyland next year.

cruft

xcheopis posted:

Dress the dog up as Cinderella or Belle and put on a show.

We might just do this regardless.

cruft

rear end-penny posted:

Dogs always gently caress up the conversions between dog years and human years.

Danger is a super anxious cat who used to be very picky about being touched, but she's getting a lot calmer and even starting to enjoy snuggles some. Here she is earlier today on my lap.

Holy crap, Danger is that cat's first name.

cruft

Ruby update!

RUBY IS AN IMPOSTOR

Claim: Ruby is 8 month old
Reality: The veterinary evidence suggests Ruby is 2-3 years old.

Claim: Ruby is a dog
Reality: After the twentieth time she jumped on my laptop keyboard, I am convinced she is part cat.

Claim: No really, Ruby is a dog
Reality: Bloodwork shows she has severe kidney problems. The current guess (still pending more testing) is that she has 3 to 36 months to live. The vet mentioned in passing that this sort of thing is very common with cats.

Anyway. We were looking at, like, 10- to 13-year-old dogs, and it seems now like we got one. We're now applying ringworm treatments, feeding her a kidney diet (this basically means the dog has to eat ALL THE TIME, it's like winning the dog lottery), and we're back to having a pill box for the dog, like we did for our 15-year-old dogs last year. We also get to start doing saline injections to try to get more fluid into her kidneys. And we now understand why she needs to pee 16 times a day.

She's playful when not sleeping, and loves walks, and is the cuddliest animal we have ever had, so it's all good. We're sad we don't get her for longer, but we'll all have a good time while she's around. Bonus: she fits into a large purse, so she'll go with us everywhere.

cruft

xcheopis posted:

God drat it. :(

I look at it this way: this dog was living probably in a trash heap on the edge of Juárez. She is *tiny*: 8.5 pounds. She was probably not getting much to eat, had to fend of much larger dogs, and her inability to regulate heat well meant she was shivering most nights.

When the rescue picked her up, every subsequent move was an improvement for her. She got immunized, sterilized, fed, brought indoors. Then she moved again, caught ringworm on the way, but now she gets to live out the rest of her days in someone's lap, with an all-you-can-eat buffet, and her own carpeted dog perch from which she can yell at kids to get off her lawn.

The only real bummer about it is that we thought we were getting a healthy puppy, so her adoption fee was way more than it should have been, and she's going to cost a whole lot more per year than we figured.

cruft fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Feb 26, 2021

cruft

biosterous posted:

https://streamable.com/cq2ky4

(cornell bird feeder lab livestream)

Poor thing, had that all lined up perfectly, but there was some weird forcefield in the way.

cruft

I have bad news. That's a duck not a goose

:captainpop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cruft

Do not mess with this cat.