Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ciao Wren
May 5, 2023

by sebmojo

zer0spunk posted:

TIL that sheev isn't said in any of the movies..so whoever made that dudes name sheev palpatine in whatever random side project thing and it stuck, i salute you

I still prefer the original Cos Dashit. 'cos he's da poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BRJurgis
Aug 15, 2007

Well I hear the thunder roll, I feel the cold winds blowing...
But you won't find me there, 'cause I won't go back again...
While you're on smoky roads, I'll be out in the sun...
Where the trees still grow, where they count by one...

Animal-Mother posted:

"This is the one way out."

^ excellent

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

Ciao Wren posted:

I still prefer the original Cos Dashit. 'cos he's da poo poo.

“Who da poo poo? Cos Dashit!”

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Neddy Seagoon posted:

We don't talk about the Yuuzhan Vong invasion! :toughguy:
You can just skip those to get to the bit they mean.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Sash! posted:

You go back that far and it is ambiguous if the Emperor is actually a bad guy

man it feels a lot more specifically Japan in that book exerpt doesn't it

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

skasion posted:

The emperor character in the original drafts was called Cos Dashit. Strongly regret that Lucas backed down from this

Cos Dashit has returned

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

We’re in da poo poo now, Cos Dashit is back, shieeet.

kneelbeforezog
Nov 13, 2019
How does s3 mando go? From start to worse? Or starts bad gets better than goes bad again?

SolarFire2
Oct 16, 2001

"You're awefully cute, but unfortunately for you, you're made of meat." - Meat And Sarcasm Guy!

A.o.D. posted:

There's no such thing as a good emperor.

Tell that to the Fire Emblem thread.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

kneelbeforezog posted:

How does s3 mando go? From start to worse? Or starts bad gets better than goes bad again?

First episode is weak, 2nd is good, 3rd is great, 4-6 is ok, 7 and 8 are fantastic.

And then there’s goons who say the whole season is trash cause it’s not Andor.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

kneelbeforezog posted:

More or less better as it goes. I don't think it's as good as previous seasons but it's comfortably enjoyable for the most part.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
This show has been kind of laboring under its own hype. Majority of it has been alright to good but it’s never been great. People latched onto it because it was a breath of fresh air in the unbearably fart-huffing state of the fanbase between 8 and 9. In that context it seems great. fun action-adventure serial about knights and cowboys in space with cornball retro props and effects combined with modern CG, that sometimes hits on a serious lesson for the kids. It’s family entertainment the same way Marvel movies or Filoni’s cartoons are.

Of course that positive reaction also led Disney to latch onto it and put it under pressure and try to build other stuff onto its cachet like BOBFett and Rangers of the New Republic. And all that poo poo became a huge mess/fell through with the pandemic. So I don’t think they’ve consistently done their best work over the course of the show. I kind of hope they can dial the scope and pace of the show back a bit now that the moff got vaped and Bo-Katan has been made Mandalore for the tenth time.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
There's a case of the week episode that is fun and has cool cameos and I want more of this please mister disney father sir

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
I do not care for the way however, i'm never watching those cartoons!!!!!!! (never)

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

zer0spunk posted:

I do not care for the way however, i'm never watching those cartoons!!!!!!! (never)

I watched enough and never again

Love Rat
Jan 15, 2008

I've made a psycho call to the woman I love, I've kicked a dog to death, and now I'm going to pepper spray an acquaintance. Something... I mean, what's happened to me?

Cartoon Man posted:

First episode is weak, 2nd is good, 3rd is great, 4-6 is ok, 7 and 8 are fantastic.

And then there’s goons who say the whole season is trash cause it’s not Andor.

I'd say it is trash. But it's what I want in my trash.

Unpretentious family pulp? Fine with me.

Love Andor, which is a legit good drama/thriller. But it's an outlier. My "Michael Clayton"/John Le Carre/Graham Green loving mom thought it was great and she could take or leave SW after Empire. It's doing great things, but SW is also space cowboys shooting monsters.

Mando could be much better made, but it works on its half-assed level.

Love Rat fucked around with this message at 01:51 on May 14, 2023

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Love Rat posted:

Love Andor, which is a legit good drama/thriller. But it's an outlier. My "Michael Clayton"/John Le Carre/Graham Green loving mom thought it was great and she could take or leave SW after Empire. It's doing great things, but SW is also space cowboys shooting monsters.

Your mom might enjoy Le Carre's son's work. Nick Harkaway's last novel (Gnomon) was a detective thriller about the death of a suspect in custody who was being neurally interrogated by the British police state on suspicion of evading surveillance. His next novel, Titanium Noir, comes out on Tuesday.

Love Rat
Jan 15, 2008

I've made a psycho call to the woman I love, I've kicked a dog to death, and now I'm going to pepper spray an acquaintance. Something... I mean, what's happened to me?

Kesper North posted:

Your mom might enjoy Le Carre's son's work. Nick Harkaway's last novel (Gnomon) was a detective thriller about the death of a suspect in custody who was being neurally interrogated by the British police state on suspicion of evading surveillance. His next novel, Titanium Noir, comes out on Tuesday.

I wasn't aware that Le Carre's son had taken up writing. Thanks for the recommendation. I'll tell my mom and check those out myself.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Love Rat posted:

I wasn't aware that Le Carre's son had taken up writing. Thanks for the recommendation. I'll tell my mom and check those out myself.

You're very welcome! He's one of my favorite writers working today! He actually reminds me a little of Terry Pratchett in his warm humanist wit, his satirical tendencies, and Being Extremely Online Yet Has Read Lots Of Classics. Literally can't recommend him highly enough.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

https://twitter.com/starwars/status/1658140689098735619

Wonder if they'll go into the obvious "we retailored some Ranger material for S3" or not

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Vinylshadow posted:

https://twitter.com/starwars/status/1658140689098735619

Wonder if they'll go into the obvious "we retailored some Ranger material for S3" or not
What? Is that a thing? Why would Transphobe McAntiVaxx's show be about the retaking of Mandalore?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

LividLiquid posted:

What? Is that a thing? Why would Transphobe McAntiVaxx's show be about the retaking of Mandalore?

Episode 3 in particular feels like it could have been reworked from Rangers.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

LividLiquid posted:

The Coruscant stuff, Carson's X-Wing shenanigans and Din being named Marshal of Navarro by Greef at the end of the season smacks of ideas they hastily pulled out of Rangers of the New Republic's stillborn corpse and stuffed into Mando where they could.

Also it was real lovely of them to promise Temura Morrison he'd be in Season 3 and then ghost him like that. I guess Disney didn't like him dissing Book of Boba Fett and what it did to his character.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I mean, they turned him into the universe's lamest gangster. Why would they want him back once they realized how much they destroyed the character?

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Book of Boba Fett being about him becoming a crime lord instead of a long con to destroy the crime family that killed the sand people that adopted him sucked.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

I thought it was fine, but only that. I don't have any desire to revisit it. But it would've been way better to have it be a long con, yes. Like, that would've made it legit great.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar
Temura and Disney need to reconcile, otherwise we lose all chance for adult Omega and Boba meeting face to face so they can do the “like looking in a mirror” joke.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Marsupial Ape posted:

Temura and Disney need to reconcile, otherwise we lose all chance for adult Omega and Boba meeting face to face so they can do the “like looking in a mirror” joke.

Ahh poo poo, this made me laugh.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Frankie Adams and Temuera Morrison tooling around the galaxy beating up fools :hellyeah:

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar

Jerusalem posted:

Frankie Adams and Temuera Morrison tooling around the galaxy beating up fools :hellyeah:

Get out of my brain.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib
Temura is in Ahsoka i don't think disney ghosted him, he just expected to be in mando s3 and wasnt

Hellbore
Jan 25, 2012

Jerusalem posted:

Judging by (Bad Batch spoilers)who plays the adult female clones, any live action appearance would probably be Keisha Castle-Hughes.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

https://twitter.com/starwarsfonts/status/1659027065553682432?s=46

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib
Those are so good they make me nostalgic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vernii
Dec 7, 2006

Finished watching Mando S3 last night. Overall, I have a sense of disappointment with the season compared to s1 and s2. The show's side adventure / planet of the week format was better suited for the fairly grounded character goal of "keep Grogu safe" and didn't adapt well to a larger plot of reuniting the Mando diaspora and retaking their world.

It really felt like watching a future-skinned Skyrim mod being played out. Nevarro felt small and was obviously just a quest hub and the main characters keep getting distracted by side quests on their way to Solitude Mandalore. Most episodes fell into the mediocre but watchable level of entertainment.

The highlights for me: episode 3 with Dr. Pershing was actually interesting for a look at the life of an imperial defector and how terminally incompetent the NR is, I was excited at seeing Pellaeon, and the shield gate fight in the final episode was entertaining. The rest of the final was kind of boring: two mobs of near-identical mooks slam into each other in an MCU style visual mess, a cruiser crashes in the most underwhelming manner possible, and the three parallel fights are constantly robbed of tension by scene transitions between them.