Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I feel bad for Temuera Morrison because unless he gets to play Rex at some point there's nothing stopping them from using an AI voice for clones and then pasting his likness onto a younger actor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

WE MUST RETURN TO THE DANCE! THE NIGHT IS OURS!

Arc Hammer posted:

I feel bad for Temuera Morrison because unless he gets to play Rex at some point there's nothing stopping them from using an AI voice for clones and then pasting his likness onto a younger actor.

I thought they had to pay actors if they wanted to generate their voice with AI? So unless he gives his permission I don't think that's happening. If it does well hopefully he gets a boatload of money because they'll be releasing clone related stuff for absolutely ever.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Yeam, Hamilton looks Hamil (:haw:) enough to me!

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Just Chamber posted:

I thought they had to pay actors if they wanted to generate their voice with AI? So unless he gives his permission I don't think that's happening. If it does well hopefully he gets a boatload of money because they'll be releasing clone related stuff for absolutely ever.

They also have well over a decade's worth of Dee Bradley Baker audio to work with, so they just buy Temuera's likeness, buy Dee's voice, and voila, clone ghouls forevermore

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Just Chamber posted:

That's not in the SAG/AFTRA contract.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Just cast the guy and be done with it, you have a new younger Luke good to go for a few decades of prequels and interquels milking the Skywalker brand.

Can he actually act or just look like him, not that there's lot of work in the required scenes.

They broke the Han and Lando seal, but those guys are at least decent actors too.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Between Andor and Obi Wan and everything else, we prob should have watched season 1 and 2 again before starting 3. Someone wanna fill me in on the context of why Amnesty person xyz99 set up the scientist? I recognized the scene in the recap, was it her partner that he tortured in that room? I thought it was the junkyard parts girl... wait. That was Andor ffs

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Timby posted:

That's not in the SAG/AFTRA contract.
It's almost certainly gonna' be eventually though, yeah?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

codo27 posted:

Between Andor and Obi Wan and everything else, we prob should have watched season 1 and 2 again before starting 3. Someone wanna fill me in on the context of why Amnesty person xyz99 set up the scientist? I recognized the scene in the recap, was it her partner that he tortured in that room? I thought it was the junkyard parts girl... wait. That was Andor ffs

Are you referring to the woman that turned up the mindflayer? She was still working for Moff Gideon. She discovered that the scientist guy wanted to work with the new republic and continue his work but for good purposes this time. She killed him to stop him from revealing anything to the new republic that Gideon was still working on.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Jesus, the deepfaking really is dire and unnecessary when you've got a perfectly fine Younger Luke to begin with :stare:.

Just cast the guy and be done with it, you have a new younger Luke good to go for a few decades of prequels and interquels milking the Skywalker brand.

Definitely. Unless you're watching all of Star Wars in chronological order, you'd never even notice that it's a different guy without the very obvious fact that Return of the Jedi and Book of Boba Fett were filmed 50 years apart.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

codo27 posted:

She's not as redeemed as first appears and he's a loose end with dangerous knowledge that needed cleaning up.

Kaedric
Sep 5, 2000

Cojawfee posted:

Are you referring to the woman that turned up the mindflayer? She was still working for Moff Gideon. She discovered that the scientist guy wanted to work with the new republic and continue his work but for good purposes this time. She killed him to stop him from revealing anything to the new republic that Gideon was still working on.

Pretty sure it just wiped his mind. If he died that woulda brought up a lotta questions.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
You're right, I don't know why I said killed, lol.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Kaedric posted:

Pretty sure it just wiped his mind. If he died that woulda brought up a lotta questions.

"Oh you know how Imperial technology is. Prone to kill you at the drop of a hat and [dramatic hand on forehead swoon] woe was me, there was nothing I could do because it's Imp tech and we all know it's evil..."

BRJurgis
Aug 15, 2007

Well I hear the thunder roll, I feel the cold winds blowing...
But you won't find me there, 'cause I won't go back again...
While you're on smoky roads, I'll be out in the sun...
Where the trees still grow, where they count by one...
I also got the sense she used him to figure out what tech to steal to continue the clone research. Maybe she got the stuff off planet, or made a grocery list.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

BRJurgis posted:

I also got the sense she used him to figure out what tech to steal to continue the clone research. Maybe she got the stuff off planet, or made a grocery list.

Nah, it was more likely a test of "Would he actually continue his research for the New Republic given the chance?"

And, well, can't let the Republic have that knowledge so best deny the asset to the enemy.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
I feel like that story would have been a lot more interesting if the new republic had actually shown any interest at all in also pursuing cloning technology, rather than banning and trying to memory hole it entirely. If Gideon had Pershing abducted off Coruscant instead and offered him to get back to work, he'd probably have been perfectly happy to get on with it.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Slashrat posted:

I feel like that story would have been a lot more interesting if the new republic had actually shown any interest at all in also pursuing cloning technology, rather than banning and trying to memory hole it entirely. If Gideon had Pershing abducted off Coruscant instead and offered him to get back to work, he'd probably have been perfectly happy to get on with it.

That leaves a trail a mile wide with open questions you don't want the New Republic asking though. Eliminating him in a tragic accident is nice and neat.

unruly
May 12, 2002

YES!!!

Neddy Seagoon posted:

That leaves a trail a mile wide with open questions you don't want the New Republic asking though. Eliminating him in a tragic accident is nice and neat.
Tragic accident is hilariously euphemistic. The only people in the control room were her and the tech. The tech left and then SuDdEnLy he contracted a case of flayed mind. The fact that she wasn't dropped 4 thousand floors to her death after such an open and shut case is kind of appalling from a criminal investigation standpoint. Maybe there is more remnant influence covering for her...

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Nah, it was more likely a test of "Would he actually continue his research for the New Republic given the chance?"

And, well, can't let the Republic have that knowledge so best deny the asset to the enemy.

Well there was also the implication a few episodes later that the First Order faction would've benefited from his research and skills in cloning Palpatine which Gideon wasn't down for.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Cojawfee posted:

I think she might be working for Thrawn, that she fried Pershing because Thrawn doesn't want Gideon to do his Dark Trooper project.

Plotac 75
Aug 8, 2007
Mysteries of the ancient lizardman sealed by ancient, mysterious lizard magicks lost in the mysterious realm of ancient lizardmen from ages far, far ago.
Nah she's specifically working for Gideon, and killed Pershing so that Gideon could deny Hux access to the cloning research for project Necromancer, because Gideon already got what he needed for project Me Myself and I.

Edit: the clones were nearly ready and gestating, by all appearances.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
maybe the new republic tech knew she did it but figured it would be better to blame the machinery so he couldn't get in trouble for walking away from the controls

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

moist turtleneck posted:

maybe the new republic tech knew she did it but figured it would be better to blame the machinery so he couldn't get in trouble for walking away from the controls

Yeah there's probably an implied scene where he confronts her and she reminds him that her left her there and is complicit.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I thought the Pershing episode was cool at first and I always say that episodes should be evaluated as part of a season and so now at the end of the season it feels like that ep was a lot of wasted time. Was it an episode that the Mandalorian needed or an episode that Star Wars overall needed? Between this and Bad Batch it seems like they're laying on the Palpatine Needs Clones a little thick.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

How well received was "somehow, Palpatine returned" by the public (as opposed to us terminally online goons)? I feel that has a lot to do with all this clone BS

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
I can't say for the non-online crowd, but I see it used as a punchline in various videos as shorthand for 'something happened and the movie doesn't want to explain it'.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
That episode basically did a lot of post-OT New Republic political situation heavy lifting and hit some plot beats for Gideon's manipulations.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib

Aces High posted:

How well received was "somehow, Palpatine returned" by the public (as opposed to us terminally online goons)? I feel that has a lot to do with all this clone BS

its a pretty widespread meme right now, which might mean the ST is now on par with the PT and it will soon be lauded as "actually good"

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Jerkface posted:

its a pretty widespread meme right now, which might mean the ST is now on par with the PT and it will soon be lauded as "actually good"

It needs to hurry up imo

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I guess we are (or at least I am) not really used there being so much blending between related shows. We have had some mixing of shows with Star Trek and Stargate where one show will use the characters from another show. But that is usually still insular. Stargate Atlantis would pull in people from SG-1 but that usually didn't have an affect on SG-1 stories. Whereas in these Star Wars shows, one show will do some world building, and then that directly affects another show. Like when there was pretty important Mando stuff in the Boba show. I do think it's kind of cool that all these shows are one big story though.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Aces High posted:

The only people who aren't terminally online that brought it up with me are lovely Gen Z fash kids who were really excited to tell people about how Palpatine coming back is the only good part of the Disney era. This is a sample size of exactly two people though, so I don't think that's worth much.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Aces High posted:

My dad and step-mom, who I saw the movie with, were both confused and then were even more confused when I told them it happened in a video game, and then confused yet further when I corrected them that it was not a star wars video game, but the one where the kids learn their dances from.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

BRJurgis posted:

It was extremely basic poo poo. It was to start up his research again.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Aces High posted:

FWIW, the general feel I've gotten of it from family, friends, and coworkers, both those who are big Star Wars fans and those who aren't was generally ":dafuq: why is Palpatine back?" and a uniform dislike of TRoS.

I don't think I've met a single person that knew about his return being in loving Fortnite, but I also don't know may people who played Fortnite :v:

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

My Fortnite addicted nephews didn't even catch it

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Again, it is explained in the very first scene in the movie.

Now, the fact that so many still believe that it wasn't means having Kylo walking through a room of cloning vats on his way to talk to a dead guy clearly wasn't enough, and they needed to stop everything dead in its tracks to say it out loud, but it's not like it wasn't explained.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

The other thing they could have done is not have Palpatine return, what with him dying at the end of Return of the Jedi and all :colbert:

I say this fully aware that Ian McDiarmid was also the absolute best part of that dreadful loving movie. Having Palpatine return was incredibly stupid, but McDiarmid's Palpatine is also wildly, wildly entertaining.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

LividLiquid posted:

Again, it is explained in the very first scene in the movie.

Now, the fact that so many still believe that it wasn't means having Kylo walking through a room of cloning vats on his way to talk to a dead guy clearly wasn't enough, and they needed to stop everything dead in its tracks to say it out loud, but it's not like it wasn't explained.
"They made a Palpatine clone somehow," isn't any more satisfying that "Somehow Palpatine returned".

That's not to say further exposition about how that happened would have improved the movie. It definitely would not have. I think suddenly having Palpatine back in the third movie of your trilogy without a single hint that anything was up is going to get audiences going, "wait, what? why is this happening?" regardless of how well you explain the logistics of cloning.

If your point is simply that there is an explanation, you're right. But when people quote "Somehow Palpatine returned," it's not necessarily a criticism of the technical events presented so much as it's a criticism of the story. The fact that he's a clone isn't really relevant to the idea that it's an incredibly jarring direction for the story to suddenly turn in.

And all this is conceding the idea that it was obvious he was a clone- this was not obvious to me on my first (and only) viewing, but I do recognize that that was the intention.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
It’s a terrible line because they’re terrible writers.

Somehow, Palpatine is alive.
Somehow, Palpatine survived.
Somehow, Palpatine was resurrected.
Somehow, Palpatine is back from the dead.

Now remove the SOMEHOW and try “I know it’s hard to believe,” or “There are rumors,” etc.

They’re such hacks.