Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
who is worse
eric s ray,mond
esr
View Results

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

Pardot posted:

maybe there just arent enough eyes yet, enough eyes and we could have seen heartbleed, just need more eyes

"just not enough eyes!" says esr as debian ships a comically broken ssh implementation for what, like 4 years? until someone notices

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

they probably didn't have a guy who knew what #include means

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

rotor posted:

like regardless of rms' failings - and lets be clear, there are many - he wrote emacs and big chunks of gcc and managed to come up with the idea of open source software that everyone in this thread has at some point in their life benefited from.

rms didn't really come up with the idea of open source software though. it was something that was already in the hacker/nerd zeitgeist at the time, and would have happened without him.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Sagebrush posted:

they probably didn't have a guy who knew what #include means

sorry I don’t use Twitter much

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Sweevo posted:

rms didn't really come up with the idea of open source software though. it was something that was already in the hacker/nerd zeitgeist at the time, and would have happened without him.

the only thing RMS did was turn it into a toxic hellscape of bad software restricted by bad licenses.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

rotor posted:

carpetbagger

Actually I think you'll find the term "carpetbagger" is a term coined by southern whites to delegitimize efforts to reform southern so-called society after the civil war?

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

fart simpson posted:

its esr. close thread.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
close thread? it wasn’t close at all!

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

rotor posted:

still so mad they went with the lame "heartbleed" name and not "fartbeat"

arsebleat

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

rotor posted:

like regardless of rms' failings - and lets be clear, there are many - he wrote emacs

why is this poo poo a big deal dont you power-nerds write software all the god drat time

TehSaurus
Jun 12, 2006

echinopsis posted:

why is this poo poo a big deal dont you power-nerds write software all the god drat time

I used emacs a lot for years but it seems to get more and more irrelevant as time goes on. Like I'm sure it will mostly do what my ide does but who has the time to find all the required plugins and compile/configure that poo poo?

What I'm saying is esr.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

echinopsis posted:

it might not seem like a big deal now but a robust, extensible and free text editor was fuckin revolutionary at the time, likewise for a compiler.

My point isn't that emacs is great or whatever, it's that rms actually contributed to the community he founded. esr is a barnacle.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

at the time your choices for text editors were: vi, emacs, or a bunch of things you had to pay money for.

and compilers? it was gcc or a bunch of commercial ones that cost hundreds and sometimes 1000+ dollars.

[old man voice] AND THAT WAS IN NINETEEN NINETY TWO MONEY

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
gently caress robust is a mighty word

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

echinopsis posted:

gently caress robust is a mighty word

i like it because it's got the word 'bust' in it

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
i think my amigos 500 had emacs on its workbench disk

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

rotor posted:

i like it because it's got the word 'bust' in it

how had I never noticed

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

if u pronounce it right it's like robot titties

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

STOP STARING AT MY RO-BUST. MY OCULAR RECEPTORS ARE UP HERE.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
turns out 2020 hasn’t been so bad after all

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
2020 ruled and its been my most profitable year yet

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica
https://invisible-island.net/ncurses/ncurses-license.html

my homie dhall
Dec 9, 2010

honey, oh please, it's just a machine

rotor posted:

STOP STARING AT MY RO-BUST. MY OCULAR RECEPTORS ARE UP HERE.

my homie dhall
Dec 9, 2010

honey, oh please, it's just a machine
i think it’s somewhat funny when linux is an rear end in a top hat to people, but maybe that’s wrong

esr should be fired into the sun

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

my homie dhall posted:

i think it’s somewhat funny when linux is an rear end in a top hat to people, but maybe that’s wrong

a lot of his poo poo is really unconstructive and works out very exclusionary, but otoh a lot of open source projects really struggle with any kind of management and overarching vision, and there it is pretty clear that torvalds has helped a lot even when scaling the project up.

i am in present day more impressed with blender, since it seems to be going places with a reasonably cohesive vision without modelling itself clearly on any competitor in particular. no idea who the people are and how they are making decisions though.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

in a shocking twist, blender is actually written by esr

pram
Jun 10, 2001

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

a lot of his poo poo is really unconstructive and works out very exclusionary, but otoh a lot of open source projects really struggle with any kind of management and overarching vision, and there it is pretty clear that torvalds has helped a lot even when scaling the project up.

i am in present day more impressed with blender, since it seems to be going places with a reasonably cohesive vision without modelling itself clearly on any competitor in particular. no idea who the people are and how they are making decisions though.

i think this is the difference between starting a project because you want to make a useful piece of software, and starting a project because you want to make a copy of a thing that is controlled by an Evil Corporation

things that are stuck in the FSF style 'free as in freedom' ideological ghetto are usually crap. like krita vs GIMP

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
free as in the ui makes you want to jump off a building

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

pram posted:

i think this is the difference between starting a project because you want to make a useful piece of software, and starting a project because you want to make a copy of a thing that is controlled by an Evil Corporation

things that are stuck in the FSF style 'free as in freedom' ideological ghetto are usually crap. like krita vs GIMP

are you saying that krita is good and gimp is bad or the other way around? asking bc i've never heard of krita and while gimp has improved a ton over the last couple of years, it's still kinda ehhhhhh imo

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

curse you fart simpson for reminding me esr exists

pram
Jun 10, 2001

Achmed Jones posted:

are you saying that krita is good and gimp is bad or the other way around? asking bc i've never heard of krita and while gimp has improved a ton over the last couple of years, it's still kinda ehhhhhh imo

krita is like one billion times better than gimp

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed
krita is a program which set out to fill a niche which at the time wasn't covered particularly well by anything, and after succeeding at that expanded in scope to cover a lot of image manipulation tasks

gimp set out to be a free clone of photoshop and didn't even aspire to be something you'd choose to use if you had no ideological or financial objections to using photoshop instead

the end result is unsurprisingly that krita is a much better program

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i miss photoshop 5.5. that was the peak version of photoshop and it's been downhill ever since

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

why is this thread rated crap

lotta secret esr fans in the pos

pram
Jun 10, 2001

Plorkyeran posted:

krita is a program which set out to fill a niche which at the time wasn't covered particularly well by anything, and after succeeding at that expanded in scope to cover a lot of image manipulation tasks

gimp set out to be a free clone of photoshop and didn't even aspire to be something you'd choose to use if you had no ideological or financial objections to using photoshop instead

the end result is unsurprisingly that krita is a much better program

i already said that but yes

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Cat Face Joe posted:

why is this thread rated crap

lotta secret esr fans in the pos

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Sagebrush posted:

i miss photoshop 5.5. that was the peak version of photoshop and it's been downhill ever since

the worst thing was making lightroom a cloud program and then introducing lightroom classic

if you take real photos your photo library will be hundreds and hundreds of gigabytes. cloud photo editing should be a gimmick not the main attraction

just wish i had the newest one coz it has colour grading rather than duotone

also just wish I had a program
I could use 3D LUTs with to grade photos

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Sagebrush posted:

yep.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

mods please remove all posts except the op, close thread and sticky it tia

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i pay $19.99 a month for a CC subscription and its the best sub i have. lots of cool toys