Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
who is worse
eric s ray,mond
esr
View Results

pram
Jun 10, 2001

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

a lot of his poo poo is really unconstructive and works out very exclusionary, but otoh a lot of open source projects really struggle with any kind of management and overarching vision, and there it is pretty clear that torvalds has helped a lot even when scaling the project up.

i am in present day more impressed with blender, since it seems to be going places with a reasonably cohesive vision without modelling itself clearly on any competitor in particular. no idea who the people are and how they are making decisions though.

i think this is the difference between starting a project because you want to make a useful piece of software, and starting a project because you want to make a copy of a thing that is controlled by an Evil Corporation

things that are stuck in the FSF style 'free as in freedom' ideological ghetto are usually crap. like krita vs GIMP

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pram
Jun 10, 2001

Achmed Jones posted:

are you saying that krita is good and gimp is bad or the other way around? asking bc i've never heard of krita and while gimp has improved a ton over the last couple of years, it's still kinda ehhhhhh imo

krita is like one billion times better than gimp

pram
Jun 10, 2001

Plorkyeran posted:

krita is a program which set out to fill a niche which at the time wasn't covered particularly well by anything, and after succeeding at that expanded in scope to cover a lot of image manipulation tasks

gimp set out to be a free clone of photoshop and didn't even aspire to be something you'd choose to use if you had no ideological or financial objections to using photoshop instead

the end result is unsurprisingly that krita is a much better program

i already said that but yes

pram
Jun 10, 2001
the best thing about esr is the ncurses licensing drama

https://invisible-island.net/ncurses/ncurses-license.html

really shows what a useless pos he is and how he attaches himself to projects like a barnacle to claim credit