Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
who is worse
eric s ray,mond
esr
View Results

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

fart simpson posted:

its esr. close thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Achmed Jones posted:

i guess we arent posting enemies any more fart simpson

united in hatred is the yospos way

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

like regardless of rms' failings - and lets be clear, there are many - he wrote emacs and big chunks of gcc and managed to come up with the idea of open source software that everyone in this thread has at some point in their life benefited from.

esr is a loving carpetbagger who wrote no code of any substance and whose sole contribution was a book full of pithy and obviously, demonstrably wrong assertions like "with enough eyes all bugs are shallow"

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Pardot posted:

heartbleed

still so mad they went with the lame "heartbleed" name and not "fartbeat"

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Pardot posted:

maybe there just arent enough eyes yet, enough eyes and we could have seen heartbleed, just need more eyes

"just not enough eyes!" says esr as debian ships a comically broken ssh implementation for what, like 4 years? until someone notices

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

echinopsis posted:

why is this poo poo a big deal dont you power-nerds write software all the god drat time

it might not seem like a big deal now but a robust, extensible and free text editor was fuckin revolutionary at the time, likewise for a compiler.

My point isn't that emacs is great or whatever, it's that rms actually contributed to the community he founded. esr is a barnacle.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

at the time your choices for text editors were: vi, emacs, or a bunch of things you had to pay money for.

and compilers? it was gcc or a bunch of commercial ones that cost hundreds and sometimes 1000+ dollars.

[old man voice] AND THAT WAS IN NINETEEN NINETY TWO MONEY

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

echinopsis posted:

gently caress robust is a mighty word

i like it because it's got the word 'bust' in it

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

if u pronounce it right it's like robot titties

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

STOP STARING AT MY RO-BUST. MY OCULAR RECEPTORS ARE UP HERE.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

i hate him so much