Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.
I like the one that looks like a dick and balls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

fermun posted:

Most of them aren't organized and theres a few that aren't actually space-themed but were in batches with space stuff that I bought so that's why you'll see one that's about hot air balloons, for example, but by far most are space-related

two of this batch due to the hologram

If any of them are too hard to see and you want me to get another picture of them, let me know and I'll get a better pic.

The apollo 75 ones make me sad

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
where did you buy them and how much are they i want some CCCP ones. are they authentic

Weka posted:

I like the one that looks like a dick and balls.

also wanted to say this

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

fermun posted:

Most of them aren't organized and theres a few that aren't actually space-themed but were in batches with space stuff that I bought so that's why you'll see one that's about hot air balloons, for example, but by far most are space-related

two of this batch due to the hologram

If any of them are too hard to see and you want me to get another picture of them, let me know and I'll get a better pic.

fermun
Nov 4, 2009

indigi posted:

where did you buy them and how much are they i want some CCCP ones. are they authentic

also wanted to say this

They are all authentic, total collection cost me probably about $400, started the collection in summer 2013 when my wife was doing a language immersion course in Moscow and having seen some pins before, I asked if she could go to the Izmailovsky Market and get me a couple dozen ones as souvenirs. Since then, once or twice a year I will look on ebay and try to find any that i don't own that are a reasonable price (I prefer under $2/pin), though I am willing to pay a bit more if it either completes a "series" of pins or if it is from a series of pins that you don't see for sale often. If you just buy a random lot of soviet pins of all categories, they'll be a lot cheaper then if you specifically buy space ones, most will just be random CCCP things or Lenin or about sports, etc. but you'll find a few space ones mixed in most likely

the backs of the pins will often have something about their manufacture, a stamp with a month and year or maybe a factory name or maybe a symbol representing a factory, here's an example:

Prices for the pins have gone up a ton since the Russia-Ukraine war, they cost closer to $5-$10/pin in a lot of listings now, and you can't get any shipped from Russia or Belarus and very few now ship from Ukraine. I've been seeing complete sets of some pin series that are super rare that are listed as shipping from Russia so can't ship to the US

fermun has issued a correction as of 03:13 on Dec 1, 2022

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

god drat Zelenskyy and Putin

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
the pins own

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
holy gently caress those are cool, I have like 12 and they're repros from aliexpress lmao I feel so inadequate now

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
The pins own and I also noticed the cock n balls one instantly

fermun
Nov 4, 2009
I realized that I didn't upload a picture of 4 of them and that 2 more were not in my drawer that I keep them in, not sure where those might be.

I only got one pic, didn't show off the hologram, oh well.

this is a pic from 2018 but the missing two are the two of the astronaut wearing red:

edit: this is why triples is best. triples is safest.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

fermun posted:

I realized that I didn't upload a picture of 4 of them and that 2 more were not in my drawer that I keep them in, not sure where those might be.

this is a pic from 2018 but the missing two are the two of the astronaut wearing red:

is that dude wearing a track suit and chain

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Oh my god lol

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how much do you want for one of the Soviet space guido pins

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
5 simply 5

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
goddamn outstanding

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

https://twitter.com/SawyerMerritt/status/1600989069273886721

why are they shooting steve aoki into space

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

I hope they never come back

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

What about asteroid mining? On one hand it's a distraction from fixing the climate we have. On the other, unlimited mineral resources. And unlike The Expanse, I'm pretty sure you can just use tele-operated robotic miners instead of sending laborers halfway across the Solar System to get at those rocks

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Maximo Roboto posted:

I'm pretty sure you can just use tele-operated robotic miners instead of sending laborers halfway across the Solar System to get at those rocks

up to a 75 minute delay between input and feedback if by "tele-operated" you mean from Earth, otherwise you still have to ship drone pilots to the belt

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys

Maximo Roboto posted:

What about asteroid mining? On one hand it's a distraction from fixing the climate we have. On the other, unlimited mineral resources. And unlike The Expanse, I'm pretty sure you can just use tele-operated robotic miners instead of sending laborers halfway across the Solar System to get at those rocks

what resources are in an asteroid that we can't get on earth, and how much does the earth version cost?

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

Maximo Roboto posted:

What's the point, though? The minerals of interest in the asteroid belt are iron, nickel, cobalt, and some small amounts of gold, silver, platinum, and palladium. It would undoubtedly be a better use of resources to just dig through garbage dumps on earth and recycle the minerals here, or have undersea mining drones on earth.
But I suppose in some hypothetical where it would make sense you'd probably wanna put a refinery in orbit around mars or something so you weren't flying big useless rocks around. Really though, the whole thing seems like a setup for someone intentionally crashing an asteroid into the earth

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Hatebag posted:

Really though, the whole thing seems like a setup for someone intentionally crashing an asteroid into the earth

probably going to happen either way

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

fermun posted:

thanks for resurrecting this thread so i could see the blinged out soviet astronaut

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

indigi posted:

I wouldn't think so unless humans start leaving earth in the billions and then there was a conflict between the people on earth and the space people. It would be pretty hard to direct an asteroid at a specific place on earth so unless some group was just trying to kill everything on earth and make it uninhabitable for millenia there's not much point

Unless you're just talking about random asteroid impacts, those are pretty common. Supposedly a mass extinction level asteroid hits every 200 million years or so but at least 3 have hit earth already so that's at least 3 fewer potential big boys there out of 1.1-1.9 million 1 km+ asteroids in the belt. It might not make sense to mine asteroids but it probably wouldn't be a terrible idea to set up asteroid monitoring stations around ceres or mars that could shoot out little drones to steer wayward asteroids into the sun

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

I don't give a fig about space

Red Baron
Mar 9, 2007

ty slumfrog :)

Hatebag posted:

I wouldn't think so unless humans start leaving earth in the billions and then there was a conflict between the people on earth and the space people. It would be pretty hard to direct an asteroid at a specific place on earth so unless some group was just trying to kill everything on earth and make it uninhabitable for millenia there's not much point

Unless you're just talking about random asteroid impacts, those are pretty common. Supposedly a mass extinction level asteroid hits every 200 million years or so but at least 3 have hit earth already so that's at least 3 fewer potential big boys there out of 1.1-1.9 million 1 km+ asteroids in the belt. It might not make sense to mine asteroids but it probably wouldn't be a terrible idea to set up asteroid monitoring stations around ceres or mars that could shoot out little drones to steer wayward asteroids into the sun

I think they were more talking about an “oopsie” where the asteroid just hits somewhere

like when trains just accidentally derail, but bigger

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys

indigi posted:

they should hurry it up

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

no wi fi in space means no video games. hard pass for me

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

Red Baron posted:

I think they were more talking about an “oopsie” where the asteroid just hits somewhere

Hm, maybe. Well now that i think about it my asteroid redirection system could also be hijacked by some nefarious people and used to kill all life on earth as well, a lot to consider here

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

Hatebag posted:

What's the point, though? The minerals of interest in the asteroid belt are iron, nickel, cobalt, and some small amounts of gold, silver, platinum, and palladium. It would undoubtedly be a better use of resources to just dig through garbage dumps on earth and recycle the minerals here, or have undersea mining drones on earth.
But I suppose in some hypothetical where it would make sense you'd probably wanna put a refinery in orbit around mars or something so you weren't flying big useless rocks around. Really though, the whole thing seems like a setup for someone intentionally crashing an asteroid into the earth

Sending primary resource production and other heavily polluting industries in space would make remediation of Earth's biosphere easier especially since production of environmentally friendly infrastructure and durable goods are not initially free of greenhouse gas and pollutants.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

yeah getting all the mining and resultant pollution off Earth would be unambiguously good, but it's much too expensive and centralized an undertaking for anyone right now. we can't get power companies to switch to nuclear or agribusiness to utilize ecologically harmful techniques, even in cases where there'd only be insignificant upfront costs. you'd have to dedicate the US military budget for a decade+ before any smelted iron made its way back to Earth, even if every citizen in China wanted to, they can't realistically begin such an undertaking right now with the US and EU breathing down their neck

Red Baron posted:

yeah either this or maybe millenarians

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys

Danann posted:

Sending primary resource production and other heavily polluting industries in space would make remediation of Earth's biosphere easier especially since production of environmentally friendly infrastructure and durable goods are not initially free of greenhouse gas and pollutants.

oops, an equipment shuttle disintegrated on reentry from the space factory and now the atmosphere is 75% heavy metals

now we all live in Ohio: The Planet

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

no figs in space

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
fig newtonian physics

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

Danann posted:

If you had the resources, technology, and political power to send robots to get minerals out of asteroids and return refined metals to earth it would probably take fewer resources and cause less pollution to make primary resource extraction more environmentlly friendly and just do it on earth, though.
An iron mine, for example, it's main impacts are combustion emissions, acid mine drainage, and tailings. The combustion could be resolved by fuel cells or nuclear equipment, the acid can be solved by taking the sulfur compound containing rocks and keeping them from getting oxidized or even extracting the sulfur for other purposes, and the tailings can be used as a concrete amendment. That would all make the iron more expensive but probably not nearly as expensive as fancy asteroid iron

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Tighclops posted:

fig newtonian physics

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

Hatebag posted:

How good are recycling processes for converting electronics and other complex synthesized products back into materials that can be reused? I know Apple likes to hype them but I have to wonder if modern civilization is so good at manufacturing complicated items that it's very hard to convert into reusable form.

Though of course, I might be thinking of plastics, which of course space mining wouldn't help because no fossil fuels up there.

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
if we're just assuming the progression of technology will make pretty much anything possible then we could have nanomachines or genetically engineered bacteria that can strip valuable resources out of scrap

it doesn't really make sense to say that limitations of our current recycling capabilities mean that obviously we need to invent all the technology necessary for asteroid mining

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Were I head commissar of the leftist world order, I'd say "gently caress off, space! We're full!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

the milk machine posted:

if we're just assuming the progression of technology will make pretty much anything possible then we could have nanomachines or genetically engineered bacteria that can strip valuable resources out of scrap

it doesn't really make sense to say that limitations of our current recycling capabilities mean that obviously we need to invent all the technology necessary for asteroid mining

the ecosphere has a health bar that may be drained before we figure out perfect recycling but not before we figure out asteroid mining (which we're already technologically capable of)