Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

im trying the illusion one wait for me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

absolutely, can't wait!

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
wow those are all excellent but 25 is incredible and 30??? how in the gently caress lol

imma download that sun one when i get home so i can see how the in hell you did it

most threads make me feel inadequate but this thread.. this thread is king

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
amazing how much simpler that sun shader is when I dive into it. gently caress I must have no imagination.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

i made one more for "fractal" in the background while i was at work

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9LWdASGR3O8

now to start on "illusion"

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
oh my god

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

fart simpson posted:

i made one more for "fractal" in the background while i was at work

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9LWdASGR3O8

now to start on "illusion"

pretty cool mate

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

i made a penrose triangle

im trying to animate it but i made it spin too fast and the black background doesnt really have enough contrast so ill try again

https://i.imgur.com/HkMOyPy.mp4

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

extremely cool! great job with the vector displacement

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

im re-rendering it now with better animation parameters but itll be when im at work so expect the result to be uploaded in like 10 hours or something

here's my nodes, it was relatively simple this time, mostly about finding the right angles

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

also not gonna downplay it, i hit my head against the wall for a long time on this one because of the vector displacement stuff. i was getting tons of visual artifacts no matter how high i bumped up the displacement for the longest time and after 2 hours of failing, trying it multiple ways and none of them worked, i had to take a break. in my break i suddenly realized my problem was that i was considering "scaling to 0" should make points disappear, but actually it just moves them to the origin point and drags along a bunch of extra edges and crap with it.

so i had to re-frame the problem in my mind away from making a white/black mask and scaling everything in one step, and think more about the actual math involved in multiplying the entire point space at once, and what shrinking and extruding actually mean in vector displacement terms. and then everything kind of clicked into place in my mind

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

I’m still firmly in the trial and error stage of thinking about vector displacement

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

well it turned out my main problem plaguing me through all of these (some of them it’s not visually apparent but i struggled to some extent with all the vector displacement stuff) was that i was thinking in terms of grabbing out the “edges” of my shape through masking, then moving the edges. actually what i should have been doing is masking out entire slices of the whole object and figuring out not just where the edge needs to be, but how to distribute the point densities throughout space

so i was doing the first one of these, not the second:

it mostly looks fine if you stop there, but if you want to do any follow up steps and refine the shape, you can keep bumping up the subdivisions and it won’t really help because you’re just cramming in more point density in the bottom of that where it isn’t needed, and not really adding any more at the top to work with

it took me way too long to figure that out, now you know too if you didn’t already.

fart simpson fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Dec 2, 2020

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
so if you were to raise a box out of a plane it’s not about just making a square go up (which will force the sides to exist) but actually creating a side as well as far as what you create in the shader

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

echinopsis posted:

so if you were to raise a box out of a plane it’s not about just making a square go up (which will force the sides to exist) but actually creating a side as well as far as what you create in the shader

so heres a v simple example i just drew up. i have a subdivided plane and i want to make a little smooth hill in the middle. ive turned on a wireframe shader so you can see the geometry involved:

ok, so i mask out the area i want to adjust, and add to the z values right? but that doesn't look like a very smooth hill. it has a big pointy thing a tthe top, and if i wanted to further adjust this shape there'd be no more points to work with:

so what i was doing before in this situation was just cranking the subdivision modifier to 11, which kinda works, sometimes. but what if instead i use math to redistribute the inner geometry without touching the edges of my plane? ive done it here with some vector curves to squish in detail to the center on the x and y axes but theres lots of math ways to do various things like this. if you turn off the wireframe shader it looks like this vector curve node did literally nothing, which is why i wasn't "getting" it until last night. but actually look at what happens to the points, they bunch up toward the center where i want my hill:

now that my geometry is distributed to better support my desired smooth hill feature, i can the exact same hill but it looks way better, and if i wanted to fine tune the details of the top of the hill or whatever then theres plenty of points to work with to shape it:

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
masking? that exists? gently caress I am terrible at this.

I understand what you’ve done and it’s good. don’t quite how you’ve moved the points but i get how that fixes the problem

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

by masking i mean making a black/white image of the area you want to change. like here i basically just said give me the areas where x and y are centered around 0, 0 with a rolloff for distance. that gives me the following:

black is a 0 value, and various shades of grey are positive numbers up to 1 being pure white. the displacement is just taking each point there and adding the black/white value of that mask to that point's z value. so areas where you see that mask is pure black get 0 added to their z coord so they dont move. white areas get 1 added so they move up 1 unit along z axis, etc.

that's what i meant by masking

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

that ui looks like a nightmare, but i appreciate the work you're all putting out

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Roosevelt posted:

that ui looks like a nightmare, but i appreciate the work you're all putting out

it’s what you make of it, it’s just a visual programming language with a focus on 3D graphics. pretty efficient for applying texture maps to surfaces but if you want to make a fractal generator or a solvable maze generator it’ll get messy

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
i love the hill trick

if am fairly proficient at openGL and know how to write very basic shaders, then would it be better for me to move up to writing advanced shaders in code, or to learn blender?

on the one hand blender nodes would let me quickly find out not only common shader tricks, but let me experiment quickly with them live to better understand them. on the other hand it sounds like it's non trivial to even get access to an animation time variable in blender, so maybe there's a bit of learning curve that wouldn't generalize to other shader programming?

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Happy Thread posted:

i love the hill trick

if am fairly proficient at openGL and know how to write very basic shaders, then would it be better for me to move up to writing advanced shaders in code, or to learn blender?

on the one hand blender nodes would let me quickly find out not only common shader tricks, but let me experiment quickly with them live to better understand them. on the other hand it sounds like it's non trivial to even get access to an animation time variable in blender, so maybe there's a bit of learning curve that wouldn't generalize to other shader programming?

well, keep in mind that we're in the nodevember thread which is specifically an event to limit yourself in blender to just the shader editor. it's normally much easier to animate and extrude etc things than what you're seeing us discuss in here, and normally in blender people are doing a lot more in the object editor and so on and much less geometry stuff in shaderland. you're seeing us talk about it here specifically because it's such a non standard way to use the program

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

and here's my final entry for "illusion"

https://i.imgur.com/bPxqF26.mp4

great thread jenny, i had no idea nodevember was a thing but im glad you posted this and glad i did some of them. it was fun.

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

excellent work! I'm going to have to try boning up on vector displacement for next year

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

https://twitter.com/NodevemberIO/status/1344779292920737793?s=20

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

i forgot if i said it but i really liked this thread

excellent stuff

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

in case you missed it geometry nodes are in the mainline blender releases now. nodevember is going to be crazy this year

https://twitter.com/erindale_xyz/status/1374404450249404424?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
they look like diatoms