Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Winner's Circle Poll of People Who Win Contests
This poll is closed.
Bingo Cop Metis 31 17.51%
Major Isoor 13 7.34%
A Cup of Ramen 33 18.64%
Prokhor 14 7.91%
Arzaac 12 6.78%
Bowseretta 52 29.38%
Bernie 22 12.43%
Total: 127 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

sharrrk posted:

waiting patiently to vote for bowsette in the thread poll

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Tbh the killer app for these consoles is loading times.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Barudak posted:

drat straight. I literally just want to play a bunch of games I already own.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
For various reasons both worldwide and personal I’m going to need some heavy gaming to make it through this month I think.

Edit: probably not on the PS5 though. I have no reason to think I’ll be able to get one this month.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Can you play every PS4 and Xbox Whatever (the current one) on the new consoles?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Jay Rust posted:

A handful of irrelevant games on PS4 won't be playable on PS5, but everything that can be played on Xbox One, can be played on Series S/X

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Jay Rust posted:

I don’t know about the Xbox but on the PS5 they released a list of like 12 PS4 games that don’t work. The only one on on the list I’ve even heard of is Shadow Complex, for some reason.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Relax Or DIE posted:

note that the PYF game witches from the previous thread is still in effect, should anyone be inclined

Koudelka and Alice from Shadow Hearts are pretty cool witches.

One is a magical Welsh Romani psychic and the other is a magical French Catholic exorcist and they both go around killing demons, with Alice straight up hitting enemies with variations of biblical literature.

Also the trio of witches from Shining Force are cool and strong

Tao

Anri

Alef

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I said come in! posted:

A handful of irrelevant games on PS4 won't be playable on PS5, but everything that can be played on Xbox One, can be played on Series S/X

No such thing as an irrelevant game. Maybe check yourself

bovis
Jan 30, 2007

sharrrk posted:

waiting patiently to vote for bowsette in the thread poll

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

FirstAidKite posted:

Koudelka and Alice from Shadow Hearts are pretty cool witches.

Not a witch but I love Margarete, if only for her giant pair of novelty glasses when she uses Scout

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Does Beatrice, the golden witch of Rokkenjima count as a video game witch?

I’m still waiting for that PS4/Switch version of Umineko they keep delaying.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Arzaac posted:

Not a witch but I love Margarete, if only for her giant pair of novelty glasses when she uses Scout

One of my favorite bits is that her instant kill sniper rifle move will aim at the head of a monster, but many monsters in shadow hearts don't have a head in the typical place you'd expect a head to be so for the monsters that are just some dudes hanging upside down, her sniper scope zooms in on their foot.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Ive never bought a console myself until significantly after the release date when the console itself and also a trove of game I want for it are already on sale

I just deleted a long post about how depressing it's gonna be seeing another holiday season go by in the current U.S. conditions, but the point that originally stemmed from was that I've gotten all my most recent consoles from Black Friday sales when the consoles are in low demand because of some new product that's drawn everyone away (Got a PS3 on PS4 release, PS4 on Pro release) and you can just show up to a store and pick up like six half-price games you really want, and I've never been in a financial situation where that wasn't vastly preferable to picking up a fresh new console with such a low volume of total games

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

FirstAidKite posted:

One of my favorite bits is that her instant kill sniper rifle move will aim at the head of a monster, but many monsters in shadow hearts don't have a head in the typical place you'd expect a head to be so for the monsters that are just some dudes hanging upside down, her sniper scope zooms in on their foot.

:3: Margarete's the actual best, what a great character.

I need to actually play the sequel at some point, Shadow Hearts is amazing.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
It really is and it is an absolute crime that the 4th Shadow Hearts game never got made and that we don't have any ports or remasters of any of the 4 existing games.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Arzaac posted:

:3: Margarete's the actual best, what a great character.

I need to actually play the sequel at some point, Shadow Hearts is amazing.

I'm of the opinion the Shadow Hearts franchise follows almost every other franchise trend where the first game is clearly the best and the others are not as good. Covenant is almost kind of required playing because it is a direct sequel but the writing is much weaker and they try to fit in a loooot more comic relief which has aged VERY poorly because their idea was like "hey, you know the gay masseuse that was funny because it's funny to be gay? what if we had like...six more characters like that." All the stuff involving the ending and how it relates to the original game is really cool though, and the game does a much better job of expanding on characters in their new circumstances than even say, FFX-2 does. I say it's a lot worse than the original, but I think SH is REALLY good

From The New World is a totally different cast and really leaves the historical horror behind and angles itself much more as a "National Treasure" brand of alternate history with way more famous people and locations. It is also outright a comedy game, which is even worse than Covenant. It's got some neat ideas though, like having every character have some sort of unique methodology of powering them up, sort of like FF6. I don't really remember how far I got in it, but it was nowhere near as interesting as either of the first two games.

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
my memory is that SH:C is a bit better polished/a game in a mechanical sense, but I haven't touched them in long enough that I don't really put much stock in that memory. at some point I do plan to play the trilogy through again but it's a commitment. now that you mention it i do bet that a lot of the jokes have aged very poorly. I do wish that more jrpgs strayed from the wide 'fantasy with magic technology as needed' setting.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I also like how Margarete was apparently on an actual real life spy. I'm a sucker for weird alt-history games that incorporate real historical figures into the main cast.

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

From The New World is a totally different cast and really leaves the historical horror behind and angles itself much more as a "National Treasure" brand of alternate history with way more famous people and locations. It is also outright a comedy game, which is even worse than Covenant. It's got some neat ideas though, like having every character have some sort of unique methodology of powering them up, sort of like FF6. I don't really remember how far I got in it, but it was nowhere near as interesting as either of the first two games.

Shadow Hearts is on a sliding scale where one end is "Horror" and the other is "Good Gameplay"

Koudelka was bad gameplay with great horror
Shadow Hearts was mostly horror with some interesting but not super deep gameplay
Covenant leaned off the horror but developed the gameplay mechanics
From The New World eased off the horror almost entirely and had the best gameplay mechanics in the series

From The New World also still incorporates a lot of horror but it is largely in the latter half of the game once you get to South America and it mostly is relegated to dungeons, monster designs, and some of the sidequest stuff. From The New World also suffers in that a lot of what I found was interesting plot-wise happens in like the last bits of the game where everything in the story gets tied to the main theme from the first 3 games and it is done so in an interesting and unique way.

e: definitely a lot of gay camp though, but I'm glad Gerard found a biker boyfriend to do the traveling merchant thing with in From The New World

FirstAidKite fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Nov 1, 2020

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Man, that reminds me, I love shadow hearts monster designs, they get loving bonkers.

If I can I'll try to find an image of mail man, that's a wild one.

edit: here we go.

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

I’m very excited to play more Fuser but it’s going to bomb and nobody will play it just like Harmonix’s last 12 games

I also want to play Yakuza 7 and rear end Creed and Hyrule Warrior 2

games are back baby awooo

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Arzaac posted:

Man, that reminds me, I love shadow hearts monster designs, they get loving bonkers.

If I can I'll try to find an image of mail man, that's a wild one.

edit: here we go.

Looks a lot like my mail man...

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
I was thinking of getting 13 sentinels but I decided to wait for a bit, but it seems nobody talks about it any more. Is it a play-once short game? Or just not that great? Or super niche?

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

who even owns the shadow hearts IP now, Aruze imploded and rebranded to Universal but stopped making games a decade ago and I think the dev team was absorbed by like 4 different companies at this point so I’m sure nobody is working together anymore

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I have been really getting into classic/retro gaming lately. One of my sources for finding games to play and help me with branching out, has been this Youtube channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCnsNpWwCKSrTXOu-9wfVrpw this person is fun to watch, and they have very similar taste in games and views on gameplay. What works for them, what doesnt, usually ends up matching up with not just my own, but i've noticed a lot of goons here. So that is why I wanted to recommend this channel.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

This is a boss from From The New World, the game where your party consists of a lightsaber-wielding kid running a private detective agency in New York, a French guy who learned ninjutsu from a ninja village in Brazil, a giant talking cat who practices drunken fist and worked as a bodyguard to Al Capone, a mariachi whose guitar contains numerous firearms from a flamethrower to a shotgun to a missile launcher, a Native American Indian who strips naked to turn into monstergirls, another Native American Indian who does gun kata and hunts cryptids, and a gothic lolita vampire witch with a calorie-counting gimmick that determines if she's fat and powerful, skinny and magical, or a pink bat.

This boss is Shub-Niggurath. Except they translated its name wrong.

They translated his name as "Jeb"

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Yay new thread! And gently caress yeah more bingo. Why not?

I finished the first disc and chapter of The Legend of Dragoon. It says 20 hours on my save file but it definitely seems a lot longer. Game is definitely good, if you like turn of the century JRPGS this one is definitely up there.

My goal for November is to actually finish this game and start the next one on my list.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Its dumb that time passes during the boss fight at the end of a pikmin 3 level

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Barudak posted:

The way everyone is talking about how cool the haptic feedback and adaptive triggers are on the Dualsense for Cooling Springs of Astro's Playroom, that's what has me most interested now lol

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Real hurthling! posted:

Its dumb that time passes during the boss fight at the end of a pikmin 3 level

On the other hand you're free to come and go and I'm pretty sure any damage done to a boss carries over to the next day.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

I'm completely uninterested in any console that isn't a handheld. It has to do with many reasons, but it primarily comes down to I don't want to share my gaming time with the people around me. That's my escapism when I need a breather.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Waiting patiently until I understand all or even at least most of the poll options

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

It’s related to the Infinitum challenge I think

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Bingo cop is cop

The 4 posters are the ones who banned Infinitum until December.

And I can't read.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

redreader posted:

I was thinking of getting 13 sentinels but I decided to wait for a bit, but it seems nobody talks about it any more. Is it a play-once short game? Or just not that great? Or super niche?

pretty much everyone i know who has played it thinks it owns but it's a plot-heavy game so those discussions have usually been full of spoiler bars. i'm excited to dig into it myself soon

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Speaking of Shadow Hearts, is emulating that still somewhat borked?

Last I heard the judgement ring wouldn't render properly unless you were in software mode.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

redreader posted:

Looper posted:

pretty much everyone i know who has played it thinks it owns but it's a plot-heavy game so those discussions have usually been full of spoiler bars. i'm excited to dig into it myself soon

Yeah it's almost impossible to talk about without spoilers because it's basically a condensed visual novel sci-fi mystery. It's fantastic and incredibly well-written but like I said, I can't really go into anything. Absolutely worth playing, like the few posters in this thread who've played it have listed it in the top 2-3 games of the year, myself included

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

BisbyWorl posted:

Speaking of Shadow Hearts, is emulating that still somewhat borked?

Last I heard the judgement ring wouldn't render properly unless you were in software mode.

This is the game on PCSX2? I was just thinking of trying the game on that emulator.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

haveblue posted:

Waiting patiently until I understand all or even at least most of the poll options

please vote for me. I don't know what will happen to me if I lose

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

if you die in the poll, you die in real life