Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!
It can take a bit of work to learn how to do this. It's a skill. Like, as comparison, a painter needs to learn how to see different types of light and shadows in order to paint realistically. We look at objects all the time, but we don't always look at objects the way a painter does. We sit down quietly all the time, but we don't always sit down quietly the way a meditator does.

It's hard to diagnose exactly what might be getting in your way. When you try to meditate, do you feel anxious? One thing that helped me was to set a timer. Make it 5 or 10 minutes at first. When you set the timer, start by speaking these words in your head: "This time is set aside for me. There is nothing else I need to do other than be here, right now." Then i would begin with a simple relaxation exercise. Relax the hands. Relax the shoulders. Relax your throat. Relax your tongue in your mouth. Relax your jaw. Relax your face. Relax your eyes. Relax your whole body. Take a deeeep breath in. Take a slowwww breath out. Breathe in again and smile. Now you are here.

As for focusing on your breath, I find that just paying attention to the sensation of air passing through your nose--that particular feeling of the air brushing through you--is really easy to slip into. If you find that your breath is not a useful object of focus, you can find something else to focus on. I think external stimuli can be great. If you are by flowing water, focus on the fwoooooshhh of the waves. If you can hear traffic, focus on the fwoossshhhh of the passing cars. A mantra can help, if you are receptive to repeating mantras.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU