Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OneSizeFitsAll
Sep 13, 2010

Du bist mein Sofa
I started using the Waking Up app earlier this year, and found it to really work for me. It made an immediate impact on my sense of wellbeing and helpd with my propensity for anxiety. A few months later and I'm still using it. Harris cuts through a lot of BS and really explains things lucidly, plus his voice is very relaxing. Would definitely recommend it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OneSizeFitsAll
Sep 13, 2010

Du bist mein Sofa

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

I still don't know how to meditate. All I really know is to "focus on your breathing and clear your mind". Well, my mind doesn't clear. I just sit there, breathing deeply and deliberately, thinking my regular thoughts, and then I get bored and do something else.

What else can I do? How do I meditate?

It takes practice. I'd say don't actively try and clear your mind, so much as let that come as consequence of being mindful. Try and concentrate on your breath - don't control the breath, just let it come, and notice it. Allow your mind to notice whatever it notices (sounds, feelings etc) as things that are occurring in your consciousness. Not things that you are doing, or that others are doing, just points in consciousness. When a regular thought comes in, treat that as simply another thing that has occurred in your conscious state; notice it, without judgement or frustration, and let it dissolve away. Again, it takes practice, but it does work and does get easier.

The Waking Up app I recommended upthread takes you through this really well.

OneSizeFitsAll
Sep 13, 2010

Du bist mein Sofa

TheKub posted:

I take a slightly different approach to meditation than the cross-legged silent breath counting. I feel like I meditate for just a moment here, a moment there. I'll take a big breath and just relax my body and just take in all my senses, mindfully experiencing moments through the day.

What does this exact moment feel like?

*checks in with skin* It's warm today. Feels a little humid, I wonder if it might rain again.

*breaths deep through nose* There's the scent of fresh cut grass in the air

*what do the ears have* and the rumble of a mower in the distance, almost completely drown out by Kashmir blasting from the speakers.

*somatic awareness check* Oh, I'm sitting in an awkward position and am getting tight in my back. I'm thirsty. I'm not hungry, I want to eat, but I'm not hungry.

Once I "check in" I experience a period where there is less chatter overall and I can have thoughts just exist with out having judgments about them which, in turn, makes it easier for me to make better decisions and make them with more confidence.

Here's a 2 minute video that what finally got me to an "ah ha" moment. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n6pMbRiSBPs

So I meditate while I play guitar, while I walk my dog, while I sip my coffee, while I rip a bowl.

Not to keep harping on about Waking Up, but it's my main reference, so...

Harris encourages exactly what you describe. Often during a guided meditation he will say to try and foster moments of mindfulness during the rest of the day, especially when changing from one activity to another. I think the idea is that the guided part serves as useful base practice for training your brain to be mindful, but that the benefits are far greater if you try and do it often, even if just for short bursts - it will better suffuse your thinking and attitude to life and bring more psychological relief if you're doing it often, though the guided sessions are without doubt potent and beneficial.

I will say though in respect to your very last line that I find that it really doesn't work when I'm stoned. Also not so much when I'm lying down, though I still sometimes try and do at night in bed if my brain is all over the place.