Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

I’m glad to find this thread, I really need to start meditating. Stress, sadness, and adhd have been getting to me lately and I’m not good enough at dealing with it all on my own. I started seeing a therapist who recommended a video with Mingyur Rinpoche who I already see mentioned a few times itt. I just finished the video a few minutes ago. I liked the part where he talked about meditating to sound, that’s probably where I need to start. My own music is droney and meditative- it can be pretty harsh, but I think I come close to meditating while I fade in and out of drone layers.

Growing up I’d occasionally go to Quaker meeting with my dad, I think that gave me an early respect for meditative states, especially the power of meditation with groups. I’m hoping I can find something like that again.

Looking forward to exploring some of the links already posted, it makes me optimistic :unsmith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

It’s not double posting if it’s three months later right? :ohdear:

I’ve been using the Waking Up app for the last two months and I think it’s been fairly helpful so far. OneSizeFitsAll described the approach well, it feels very straightforward and accessible.

Now that I’m done with the beginners course and moving on the the daily meditations I’m wondering if any of you that use Waking Up can recommend any of the theory series as being especially good for beginners. I’ve been considering just starting the beginners course over again to keep improving the basics.