Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011
Setting an alarm and forcing yourself to mediate for a certain length of time seems to go against the point of meditation IMO

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011

Cheese Thief posted:

Ok do tell what the point is please

There is no point. The point is just to sit. It’s like dancing. When you dance there is no destination on the floor where you mean to end up, the point of the dancing is just to dance

IronClaymore posted:

I don't know if this counts, and I'm sorry for intruding, but at work, when I have a quiet moment of nothing to do, I just stop, and sit, and close my eyes, and breathe.
And it's nice. Normally at work I'm hyper energetic and try to help everyone and do a gazillion tasks all at once. But to just stop, and sit, and breathe, and not think, just for a moment.

I used to think meditation was just hooky Mumbo jumbo before I realized I had spent almost every shower of my life meditating without even trying to. Once I realized that my usual way to deal with anxiety or stress was to hop in the shower and chill it was like a little light went off in my head

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011

Mistaken Identity posted:

So, I have been giving meditation a try the last few days because there is quite a bit of stress in my life right now. A lot of it is positive stress, but some negative as well and I have been noticing myself to start to fray at the edges.

Anyways. I have always had a problem filtering out distractions and random noise while concentrating and as it turns out that gets even harder while meditating. I kept finding myself fixating on stuff like bird calls the strange electrical hissing some chargers make that is usually barely audible and only at the edge of my perception but which becomes almost world filling when you try to ignore it.

So, yeah. I assume that is something that gets better with practice but for now it was a somewhat frustrating experience.

Nothing wrong with listening to the birds sing during meditation :)