Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cheese Thief
Oct 30, 2020
This is a thread to tell each other when you meditate. It might be helpful to have a place to check in. It can be difficult to stay on our ideal path. Speaking for myself, I need to do this.

Resetting the compass:
"I will walk a straight, perfect line everyday."
Try as we might, to walk the straightforward 180 degrees, being off by a single degree daily we over time find ourselves going in circles.
The act of meditation is the recalibration of the mind, so that one may continue the clearest way forward.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cheese Thief
Oct 30, 2020
Being very busy this morning, I set my timer for 7 minutes, and meditated for 2. I could feel a sense of peeking through a foggy woods.

The first step to meditation, is I think to get comfortable. I sit cross-legged on on the carpet. Close your eyes. I don't listen to music.

2 minutes doesn't sound like much, but it's better than 0. And it's hard, my mind was wanting to run off for about 1 minute and 30 seconds of it.

Cheese Thief
Oct 30, 2020
Yea, I do it within an hour of waking up. Meditation isn't some type of relaxing technique to help you get rest, even though it can be and thats ok too. But if you are sleepy, just realizing that, accepting it and observing the state of being sleepy, in theory that is how you do it.

Cheese Thief
Oct 30, 2020
I Meditated for 2 minutes this morning. I set my timer for 2minutes 30 seconds but didn't make it. I breathed deeply one time, nonvolitionally. I could feel the mind turning it's focus back to the body. I feel different right now.
To get into the higher planes, look for 'The Mind inside of the Mind.' One time I was looking for the mind inside of the mind inside of the mind inside of the mind, and so on, and I went to such a high level it was almost scary. No, it was scary. I find it frightening sometimes.

Cheese Thief
Oct 30, 2020

A Typical Goon posted:

Setting an alarm and forcing yourself to mediate for a certain length of time seems to go against the point of meditation IMO

Ok do tell what the point is please

Cheese Thief
Oct 30, 2020

A Typical Goon posted:

There is no point. The point is just to sit. It’s like dancing. When you dance there is no destination on the floor where you mean to end up, the point of the dancing is just to dance

I used to think meditation was just hooky Mumbo jumbo before I realized I had spent almost every shower of my life meditating without even trying to. Once I realized that my usual way to deal with anxiety or stress was to hop in the shower and chill it was like a little light went off in my head

I guess I got the wrong impression from your comment, it sounded like you were telling me I'm doing it wrong.
I need to use a timer so I'm not late for work in the morning. I also have to make myself put time back or I'll put it off, for a year or more.
I don't like alarms either so I understand.

There are two sides to Meditation Mountain: Peace and tranquility on one side. On the other side is insight. So I'd contend there is a point to it. In one sense it is practicing for death.

Cheese Thief
Oct 30, 2020
I a little bit apologize for my poorly conceived thread. It serves this purpose: If you have a goal to set aside time for meditation/contemplation, then to tell each other here is a way to stay motivated. I know OPs are supposed to be well thought out, but I'm not trying to sell the idea to anyone.

I just sat on the floor for 5 minutes with my eyes closed. I breathed deeply several times. Some methods teach controlled breathing, I do not practice that. I think the breath should be natural. In meditation, you are the observer. You watch the body do what it does without controlling it's function.

Above I stated that meditation is in a sense practicing for death. That sounds intense and overblown, but let me explain at least 1 profound experience.
It was the night before my finals, years of college came down to a single test that would determine everything. The night before I sat in meditation, before bed. I didn't move my body, my body craved to move but I wouldn't move at all. I started getting very nervous, it felt like I was dying, that I lost the function of my body. My eyes behind my eyelids began REM, rapidly moving in circles as if I was in a deep sleep, but being fully awake and conscious. I was scared, I was saw lights, referred to as a nimmita by the Thai monks. I retreated from the light out of fear. But then I remembered what love meant. I approached the light again in this state but contemplated the idea of love. At that moment something happened, I felt a huge rush, some type of chemical was released in my brain. I think I had a near death experience.
This has happened only that one time, but I'll never forget it.

[edit] I have to edit my posts or it reads real bad. I always forget to proofread or read back what I wrote before hitting submit and the stuff i write is always real bad at first go

Cheese Thief fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Nov 12, 2020

Cheese Thief
Oct 30, 2020

massive spider posted:

Depends on the style or goal of meditation. For some meditation is an attention training excersice and it's helpful to use a timer to set aside a block of time.

Hey thanks for posting. If you go into a Monk's temple, there is a set length of time the meditation begins and ends, after which the monk taps a bell.
The head monk later discussed organizing a retreat of specifically 'no bells.' Because he says with 'no bells' you get a 'no bell peace prize.'
He was a funny monk.

Cheese Thief
Oct 30, 2020
All you do is be in a quiet place and close your eyes while watching your breath. Look for Ajahn Brahm's Guided Meditation if you want. Selling mediation for $90 I think is unethical, the knowledge is priceless.
As I havent updated, Ive been bad and distracted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cheese Thief
Oct 30, 2020
I truly appreciate sharing in this thread. This is a subject I deem a serious topic, I hold in reverance.
I have been bad, not engaging. It has been a very difficult month, personally I believe if I had been meditating upon wakening that life would be better.

Maintaining routines is how I expect to keep the right path. I am not knowledgable enough to share in great detail, methods towards insight/peace, but again I am thankful for the earnest postings.