Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

I still don't know how to meditate. All I really know is to "focus on your breathing and clear your mind". Well, my mind doesn't clear. I just sit there, breathing deeply and deliberately, thinking my regular thoughts, and then I get bored and do something else.

What else can I do? How do I meditate?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

isaboo posted:

It may sound cliche, but 'wherever you go, there you are'. You just have to remember that the you is not the thoughts banging around in your head at any given moment, and take the time to connect with your body/breath/external world however you can. The worst thing you can do though is think "shut the gently caress up, brain!!!" That's a surefire way to encourage the unwanted chatter to intensify.

This is the part I can't understand. That is the purpose of meditation, for me. That's why I'm in this thread right now, because I need a way for my brain to shut the gently caress up before I resort to regularly medicating myself. I can pretend that's not the case I guess. But it still is. It just seems like a contradiction to me, you're doing this to calm your mind but also not trying to do that.