Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

Impressive that you've kept up that routine with kids. I've been struggling since the second little one was born a few months ago. Time and sleep is very limited, it seems. I need to jump start it again one way or another.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

isaboo posted:

Yeah, there have certainly been lapses in my practice because of the kids and other distractions. That's half of the trick, isn't it? To find the time, with the other half being able to sit while things are stressful. It's easy to do when things are good, but another thing altogether when poo poo Is Going Down. That's when you'll find the most benefit, in my experience. It'll take time to get to that point, but it will come if you're diligent. I've seen my wife sit stone cold and calm while any number of kids scream in her face for something. Even 30 seconds can make a difference. Hell, it usually calms the kids down too since they see that Mom is unflappable in that moment.

I got really good at it when I used to commute through Atlanta, LA, and other places like those. Stuck in a car and can't move for 5-10 minutes and you're stressed about all the morons around you actively trying to kill you? That's the perfect time to practice while under duress!

Conversely if you're somewhere that you're waiting for something to happen - on public transit, sitting in a waiting room, or just waiting in line to check out at the store - take 2 minutes to breathe.

It may sound cliche, but 'wherever you go, there you are'. You just have to remember that the you is not the thoughts banging around in your head at any given moment, and take the time to connect with your body/breath/external world however you can. The worst thing you can do though is think "shut the gently caress up, brain!!!" That's a surefire way to encourage the unwanted chatter to intensify.

There may be a proper term for it, but another technique I've used is the '3 senses method''. Pick something to visually focus on for a minute, then a sound, then something you can touch.

e: lol, I guess the video above said the same thing only much simpler - 'anywhere, anytime'

Thanks for the advice. Going to see if I can put it in practice today while the baby sleeps on me.