Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Oh yeah, I knew I took these pictures for a reason

I decided to make something the cookbook I got it from calls "Abbot's Beans", and is a dish that Armenian priests cook. I like it because it's really cheap and easy to make as a main dish

First you boil your beans! I used Great Northern here since they're readily available. Any kind of white bean would be good I'd imagine

After that you sprinkle some salt on the beans

Now you make the dressing! It's tahini, water, lemon juice and garlic all mixed together. I like to use leftover bean water for a little more flavor

Now, heat some olive oil

Toss that pepper in there and fry it for 10 seconds

Then you drizzle the dressing and oil over the beans! I also add chopped parsley to it but forgot to buy it this time

Voila! It's honestly kind of like deconstituted hummus. I usually eat it with toast or brown rice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

The mods can't just expect a callout within this thread's timeframe. It's not a proper challenge unless it comes right when the mods are at their cockiest.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Namtab posted:

The mods can't just expect a callout within this thread's timeframe. It's not a proper challenge unless it comes right when the mods are at their cockiest.
I'll have it before 2021, I swear. Just... end-of-year, bollocks-everywhere motherfuckery happening. Y'know, as usual for the rear end-end of the gregorian indicator of our shenanigans.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

See? Right now it would just be ineffective to challenge them to a fight that we all know id win

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Namtab posted:

See? Right now it would just be ineffective to challenge them to a fight that we all know id win

You haven't finished your task either....

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Yeah m y task is to record a callout, amd im waiting for you to think youre unbeatable

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

sb hermit posted:

oops, I meant to say :stoked:

It is done.

https://imgur.com/a/zPdShrt

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
I said I was gonna finish Adachi and Shimura by the new year, but I got busy and didn't get around to the last few eps. I have a 3 day weekend though, so I'll finish it and put up my review by the end of it.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Here's the silly fanfic. Enjoy, I guess! It's very, very dumb, but was sorta fun to just gently caress around with a small story!

Who's who (if anyone's curious enough):
  • Kengo Arisugawa = Arist
  • Nurse Namikawa = Namtab
  • Kensho Karasuyama = Smoking Crow
  • Goro Gongenzaka = Gorf Zaplen
  • Rintaro Ayukawa = Julias
  • Jiro Nikaido = SB Hermit
  • Tetsuya Kagurazaka = Kagaya Homoraisan
  • Seiji Wakamatsu = Wark Say

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

One callout

https://voca.ro/18N9PBxUq6FW

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

sb hermit posted:

Your task, should you choose to accept it, is to do a 3 episode test of any Autumn anime that you haven't seen before, and write a review of any length. It could be a single word. It could be paragraphs long. It's up to you.

If you'd rather not do an Autumn anime but you have an anime in mind that you haven't given the 3 episode test of, then you can instead watch (for 3 episodes) and review that anime and that review can also be of any length.

So today I finished watching Adachi and Shimamura. The premise is simple-we have two delinquent school girls, the titular Adachi and Shimamura, who form a bond hanging out with each other on the second floor of the empty gymnasium while playing hooky from class. Adachi is a loner, who hasn't sought friendship, and Shimamura is aloof, and tends to go with the flow of things, which has the consequence of her having trouble maintaining steady, meaningful relationships with others. As the two hang out, they come to realize the feelings they have for each other, and we watch their relationship grow. As one might expect with adolescents, both characters are terrible at both expressing their true feelings and understanding each other's intent.

Adachi rather quickly realizes that she is full-on, head-over-heels, in love with Shimamura, but is both afraid of pushing her away, and lacks the self-esteem to confess her true feelings. On the other hand, Shimamura initially thinks of Adachi as just another friend, and over the course of the show, slowly realizes that her days without her are a little less colorful, and that she laments the flow of time that moves people apart.

The show, based on a novel, is framed by alternating between the two characters as the narrating perspective, which does a good job of giving the viewer both character's perspectives and internal thoughts. As an adult, I can't help but say that it's a tad frustrating and aggravating seeing dumb kids be stupid about this stuff, especially when they spin their wheels and wind up being so oblivious to comical degrees, as is the case with Shimamura somehow never grasping that Adachi truly loves her, despite all of the intimate physical interactions and time that they spend together.

I enjoyed seeing Adachi's small personal victories throughout the show, and was saddened whenever she lacked the conviction to go through with a plan or make a love confession. These are both good things, as they make you root for the character to succeed. The show wasn't really all that humorous, but there was the occasional cutaway gag or joke that made me smirk. The animation quality isn't anything standout, but the color design in the show was nice, it painted each romantic scene with an exaggerated hue of warmth, especially in the Opening to the show.

As much as I enjoyed the journey watching these two doofuses, I have to say the ending feels a tad underwhelming. Despite Adachi becoming a bit more bold and proactive, she never confesses her love to Shimamura, and likewise while Shimamura finds comfort in Adachi and would be sad to lose her, she doesn't come to a conclusion that she loves Adachi either. In that way, the story feels inconclusive, leaving the viewer hanging for an emotional payoff that never will arrive. Also, the alien subplot? Completely worthless in my opinion. It lends the show a bit more personality, but it doesn't affect the plot in any meaningful manner and takes a story that's supposed to feel down to earth and realistic...much less so.

Overall, I'd rate Adachi and Shimamura a 6/10. A fine, lighthearted yuri romance, but a tad too one sided and inconclusive to leave a strong lasting impression. I guess that makes me Shimamura.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Julias posted:

So today I finished watching Adachi and Shimamura. The premise is simple-we have two delinquent school girls, the titular Adachi and Shimamura, who form a bond hanging out with each other on the second floor of the empty gymnasium while playing hooky from class. Adachi is a loner, who hasn't sought friendship, and Shimamura is aloof, and tends to go with the flow of things, which has the consequence of her having trouble maintaining steady, meaningful relationships with others. As the two hang out, they come to realize the feelings they have for each other, and we watch their relationship grow. As one might expect with adolescents, both characters are terrible at both expressing their true feelings and understanding each other's intent.

Adachi rather quickly realizes that she is full-on, head-over-heels, in love with Shimamura, but is both afraid of pushing her away, and lacks the self-esteem to confess her true feelings. On the other hand, Shimamura initially thinks of Adachi as just another friend, and over the course of the show, slowly realizes that her days without her are a little less colorful, and that she laments the flow of time that moves people apart.

The show, based on a novel, is framed by alternating between the two characters as the narrating perspective, which does a good job of giving the viewer both character's perspectives and internal thoughts. As an adult, I can't help but say that it's a tad frustrating and aggravating seeing dumb kids be stupid about this stuff, especially when they spin their wheels and wind up being so oblivious to comical degrees, as is the case with Shimamura somehow never grasping that Adachi truly loves her, despite all of the intimate physical interactions and time that they spend together.

I enjoyed seeing Adachi's small personal victories throughout the show, and was saddened whenever she lacked the conviction to go through with a plan or make a love confession. These are both good things, as they make you root for the character to succeed. The show wasn't really all that humorous, but there was the occasional cutaway gag or joke that made me smirk. The animation quality isn't anything standout, but the color design in the show was nice, it painted each romantic scene with an exaggerated hue of warmth, especially in the Opening to the show.

As much as I enjoyed the journey watching these two doofuses, I have to say the ending feels a tad underwhelming. Despite Adachi becoming a bit more bold and proactive, she never confesses her love to Shimamura, and likewise while Shimamura finds comfort in Adachi and would be sad to lose her, she doesn't come to a conclusion that she loves Adachi either. In that way, the story feels inconclusive, leaving the viewer hanging for an emotional payoff that never will arrive. Also, the alien subplot? Completely worthless in my opinion. It lends the show a bit more personality, but it doesn't affect the plot in any meaningful manner and takes a story that's supposed to feel down to earth and realistic...much less so.

Overall, I'd rate Adachi and Shimamura a 6/10. A fine, lighthearted yuri romance, but a tad too one sided and inconclusive to leave a strong lasting impression. I guess that makes me Shimamura.

:golfclap: