Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.
We've had a few peculiar Rounds this game, with a ton of "4 of the same" or almost rolls. The four 90° turns on Round 7 has been particularly nasty since almost everyone had set up a few exit Routes with just a piece missing :v:

And yeah, Blue and Red editions have no real interactions with the other players during regular play till the very end; the new editions have a "Challenge" mode with objectives that can be completed by all the players but give more points to the 1st/2nd/3rd completing them. The KS copies should be shipped soon/have been shipped already, so I'll be able to try the Lush Green Challenge edition eventually.

EDIT: ok I lied, apparently the last update is "the game is being produced now", so it'll take a while. Last time I was talking about the KS I forgot to metion the 11x11 giant playboard with impassable mountains (unless you are using a specific Route) and "internal" Exits, so here's a pic! Also you can see the new Routes available in the Challenge dice in the lower left corner:

That Italian Guy fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Dec 29, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sighence
Aug 26, 2009

The tabletop simulator version has some doozies for expansions too. :cthulhu:

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Blastinus posted:

Yeah, after looking at the format, I realized that this is intended to be a chill game where what the other players are doing is mostly not a factor in the gameplay, so I've actually been avoiding everyone else's boards on purpose and just doing what I think would be best for my board in specific. I'm interested to see how it all pans out.

Same here, I just checked the 6th turn boards a few days later after submitting my turn 7 out of curiosity.
It was not a good idea.

By the way, goddammit brain, no we're not improving our submission and there's no point in thinking about it anymore.
TIG, you got my 7th round right? :toxx: that's final no take backsies or corrections.

Edit: unless I made a rules mistake but I think you'd have told me already.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

Omobono posted:

Edit: unless I made a rules mistake but I think you'd have told me already.

I got it yes!

But if you want to make improvements for your Round 7 turn, I guess it's not a problem. I was a bit afraid this would become a trend, but actually it never happened since the start of the game, so it's alright if you want to change something before the deadline. I'm still missing 3 submissions and I guess they'll arrive in the new year :)

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

The toxx is for my sanity, not out of any kind of fair play or anything. I just added an escape clause if I made a rules error, but if the submission is legit that's it.

Eeepies
May 29, 2013

Bocchi-chan's... dead.
We'll have to find a new guitarist.
I planned out my final turn so that i could work with railroads, roads, T-junctions.
I didn't plan for 4 corners lol, fortunately I could fit them in but that was annoying af.

Sighence
Aug 26, 2009

That Italian Guy posted:

I'm still missing 3 submissions and I guess they'll arrive in the new year :)

Yeah one of them is me sorry, I'll submit tonight. My tts save got corrupted so I have to do weird MSPaint cutting to make it work.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

Sighence posted:

Yeah one of them is me sorry, I'll submit tonight. My tts save got corrupted so I have to do weird MSPaint cutting to make it work.

No worries, the deadline is January 6th so no rush :) I'll update before then if I get all the submissions, but you can take your time since I'm also missing 2 more drawings.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
I just want to say this has been a lot of fun, win or lose.

I didn't even really think about comparing my moves to other players as we were going along other than looking at the first week to see how different everyone played.

I will also add that this inspired me to pickup a copy of the game myself. Though I'd be lying if Shut Up & Sit Down advocating strongly for it didn't also push hard.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

CzarChasm posted:

I will also add that this inspired me to pickup a copy of the game myself. Though I'd be lying if Shut Up & Sit Down advocating strongly for it didn't also push hard.

Another job well done :colbert:

Jokes aside, I also tend to follow their recommendations a lot cause they usually match my tastes quite well.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

Sighence posted:

The tabletop simulator version has some doozies for expansions too. :cthulhu:
Yeah, most of those are stretch goals from the latest Kickstarter (for the Green&Yellow Challenge editions). They include this:

TIG's 2021 sneak peak
Once the game is over, I'm planning to start a new LP for another game from the same authors of RRI. They must have gone to the Vlaada Chvatil's school of game design, cause it's completely different (both thematically and mechanically, with a giant box and a ton of pieces) but it's also absolutely amazing.

To whet your appetite, you can have a look at this video...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XaTHH7xDRqE

Oh, and Happy New Year - depending on your timezone!

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Sir, you are insane and I wish to subscribe to your newsletter threads.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

Omobono posted:

Sir, you are insane and I wish to subscribe to your newsletter threads.

This is a surprisingly light admin game to run, since a ton of content is emergent gameplay between teams (each House is going to be a team) - at least with a couple of changes to the auction system and if everything works the way I think :ssh:

That Italian Guy fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Dec 31, 2020

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

Happy New year everyone! We are only missing one submission! City Hall will release the final ratings as soon as all the drawings have been collected.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

All the drawings have been submitted and the scoring has been completed. As mentioned before, it's been a very tight race! So tight, in fact, that we have an ex aequo first place by score between two players. The thread will have the last word on who's going to be our Rail Road Ink Tournament Champion!

These are the final submissions by all our players (ignore the scoring on them cause they are not necessarily correct):

So, without further ado, these are the final scores for our Tournament:
https://i.imgur.com/s3HHhfH.mp4

As you can see, two contestants are tied at the top spot; luckily for us, the rules of Railroad Ink take this eventuality into consideration: In case of a tie, the winner is the player with the fewest Error marks on their board. If they’re still tied, the victory is shared. With one of the longest Railways I've ever seen, the winner of our 1st Railroad Ink SA Tournament is The General! Congrats on your well deserved victory, and please let me know if you prefer to receive two forum upgrades or :20bux: to a charity of your choice.

Thanks to everyone who was part of the game and I hope you had fun! We may do this again in the future :)

EDIT: I somehow forgot to add a full "history" of the game! Here it is:

Full Game posted:

Nowhere - Sighence

Motto REDACTED

New Mathsville - Blastinus

Always Show Your Work!

Dimension of Doors - Phelddagrif

That Train Was Just A Car

Linesham-upon-Plastic - Pea

THE LINE MUST BE DRAWN HERE!

Steelicity - Eeepies

Steelicity - the city of steel cars and trains!

Otisburg - CzarChasm

Motto REDACTED

Sporkia - SporkChan

Sporkia, where we provide the right tool for ALL MANY Most some jobs!

Las Llamas - megane

Life is better with llamas™!

Pompadia - The General

Motto REDACTED

Beltreno - Omobono

Meglio un autobus oggi che un treno domani

That Italian Guy fucked around with this message at 13:52 on Jan 4, 2021

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

:catstare:
Are you kidding me right now? Wow.

Goontratulations to The General, gg wp.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

Omobono posted:

:catstare:
Are you kidding me right now? Wow.

Goontratulations to The General, gg wp.
The funny (well I guess depending on the point of view) thing is that, as a rule of thumb, you would be the first to submit your drawings each time and The General would be the last...so you've been in the lead until this morning :v:

Also Google Sheets sorting goes alphabetically (if the item used to filter is a match), so you show up first in the table - I've only realized this now. Apologies for that! Think of it like being that Oscar winner that was announced by mistake :v:

Blastinus
Feb 28, 2010

Time to try my luck
:rolldice:
Crap.
Yeah, i kinda had a feeling that I wasn't going to win. Didn't figure I'd end up in a pretty definite last, but eh, it's no biggie. I still had a lot of fun.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

That Italian Guy posted:

The funny (well I guess depending on the point of view) thing is that, as a rule of thumb, you would be the first to submit your drawings each time and The General would be the last...so you've been in the lead until this morning :v:

Also Google Sheets sorting goes alphabetically (if the item used to filter is a match), so you show up first in the table - I've only realized this now. Apologies for that! Think of it like being that Oscar winner that was announced by mistake :v:

No, no, it is absolutely funny and anyone saying it's not would be lying.

Honestly I didn't even notice that I was first in list, I was too busy alternating :catstare: and laughing on getting second because somebody's else trains ran on time. I feel that's a simply perfect ending.

(16 squares railroad, Jesus)

Average Lettuce
Oct 22, 2012

I didn't participate, but just wanted to say that this thread inspired me to get this game, ,and I've been having lots of fun with it, thanks!

Eeepies
May 29, 2013

Bocchi-chan's... dead.
Had a lot of fun with this as well, thanks for hosting! If i do a breakdown of my turns and my thought process behind each one, would anyone be interested?

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

Eeepies posted:

Had a lot of fun with this as well, thanks for hosting! If i do a breakdown of my turns and my thought process behind each one, would anyone be interested?

I think it would be really neat!

Average Lettuce posted:

I didn't participate, but just wanted to say that this thread inspired me to get this game, ,and I've been having lots of fun with it, thanks!

Always glad to spread the good word :eng101:

Phelddagrif
Jan 28, 2009

Before I do anything, I think, well what hasn't been seen. Sometimes, that turns out to be something ghastly and not fit for society. And sometimes that inspiration becomes something that's really worthwhile.
Good game, thanks for hosting!

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

By the way, if anyone is interested I've just started a new LP for King's Dilemma - same authors as Railroad Ink, completely different genre! Everyone is welcome to sign up and pretend to be alt-history low fantasy noblepeople itt...maybe we'll even get the chance to build some Roads for the kingdom :)

You can find it here: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3954050

Always an appropriate reaction, no matter the setting.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Excellent game! Thanks for running / playing!

Sighence
Aug 26, 2009

Yeah, this was pretty good fun. Those last two turns were where I fumbled, as I got straight railed by the lack of straight rails at the end.

Eeepies
May 29, 2013

Bocchi-chan's... dead.
Turn-by-turn play from me:

Turn 1

Coming into the game, my first instinct was that I wanted to rush to the center as soon as possible, so when I saw the 3 road set-up, I immediately started placing them towards the center. The 2 big questions I had for this turn were the following:
1. Does the overpass belong on the first square, or the second?
I finally went with the center position instead of being next to the border, with the argument that it'll be much easier for me to connect it to the main road eventually. This then led me to my second question:
2. Does the railway connect with the overpass immediately, or does it go onto a border?
I decided finally on no, because as a curved railway, if I connected it to the overpass, it'll be very awkward to connect out eventually.
Retrospect on turn 1:
In retrospect, I went about the 2 questions the wrong way. I should have thought about both of them together, because I think the correct method would have been to overpass on the first square, and railroad in it's current position so that I just needed one straight railway to get them connected. I could worry about connecting the two highways together later.

Turn 2

I don't think the play this turn here was faulty. Connecting the off-railroad with the overpass using the other curve railroad and the special tile makes sense, and I decided to use the special tile here because I already knew what the 4 tile surrounding it were. Road going top was for the connection to the top, while the T-junction railroad off the right was to connect with the new overpass. BUT.
Retrospect on turn 2:
I can't help but feel that I'm being too fancy with my plays here. Instead of making it look neat and trying to connect everything, would I be better off rushing for connections first? I still don't know.

Turn 3

My main fault here was to attempt too much, I think. At this point, I was looking to connect to 6 different connections while getting a connection between the main road and the main railroad. I needed to devote 11 of the upcoming 14 tiles for that task, which required me to get really lucky, and suffice it to say I didn't get it.
Should I have tried to connect my railroad at the top right, or build at the bottom instead and get a connection there?
Now that I had a look at this turn, I can say that I was forced into this move because of my play in Turn 2, and well, that makes me think my turn 2 was wrong. Specifically, the tile at the top left of the center box. That tile alone made me overreach.

Turn 4

The question for this turn was do I continue to extend at the right, or close off my top left?
I could have placed 3 of the tiles at the top left, closing it off entirely, while tossing my curved railroad somewhere else. Ultimately though, I decided going right was more important, since it finished off the right-most connection and allowed me an easy access to the bottom-right one.

Turn 5

This turn was straightforward for me. The two tiles at the bottom left solved that area basically, and all I needed was a straight road or a straight station to finish that place off. The 2 rail T-junctions got me thinking about longest railroad, and if I could connect those last 2 tiles there, it would have been a 14 path railroad. Again, previous placements and these tiles forced me into this move, I don't think I could see any other alternative. All I needed were more railroads to get this done.

Turn 6

And as it turns out, more railroads were the one thing I didn't have. This turn's pure roads were pretty bad for me. It helped in the longest road, and getting the bottom connections connected, but again, I'm still looking at the top left and regretting it heavily. 3 errors, a huge long connection that really gave no benefit apart from longest railroad, which I couldn't even get that long anymore since there was no point doing a second connection at the bottom right. Now, I just needed straight stuff.

Turn 7

And as it turned out, the dice basically said 'get bent'. A curved road that I couldn't use, a curved station that I couldn't use, and two curved railroads which I could use to block off the errors at the north while extending longest railroad... but really weren't ideal either! I tried a few different methods, but at the end this gave me my most points. Turn 6-7 were a disaster for me.

Conclusion
Ultimately, I think my 2 biggest mistakes in this game were:
1. Overreaching
I reached for too many connections, and got burned. The top right corner especially was easy points, and I didn't grab them. I only got 28 points when 32 should have been easily reachable. Which ties into my next mistake:
2. Building too many tiles at the same section
I spent so many tiles to make a nice close-knit road/railway system, but beauty doesn't give any points. Connections, especially easy connections does, and the 9 empty tiles at the top right stick out like a huge sore thumb. 2 tiles in any direction at the top right would have gotten me 4 more points, tying me for first, but my tiles were stacked so close to each other that it was inefficient, inelegant, and in the end, insufficient for my victory.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

That was really interesting to read! By turn 4 you were in a really good position to connect a ton of exits, I think you got a bit unlucky with the dice, although you had very little room for error/improv with the massive mid section connection cutting through and only a few open tiles left.

I usually tend to build my roads and railroads in different quadrants (like bottom left and top right), and use weird pieces to start new exits that will eventually connect to the main routes; I then try to use one of the special Routes to connect the Road with the highway.

Blastinus
Feb 28, 2010

Time to try my luck
:rolldice:
Crap.
Yeah, if I wanted to disaster-proof my design, I should have gone for a minimalistic angle and built along both ends of the board. Given the time constraints and the unpredictability of the pieces, trying to build out of one side into the center has a high probability of leaving you unable to finish your connections on the other side, which is what did me in eventually.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

I feel like I made a bunch of critical mistakes with railroads in the center and got stuck having to use pieces inefficiently to glue stuff together. I was hoping to connect up both of the exits in the top right, but I waited too long and got stuck without the pieces I'd need.

megane fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Jan 4, 2021

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
Yeah, I misread the rules for the first 4 or 5 turns and just tried to make the longest continuous connections, but then I saw scoring rule 1 and realized what kind of mistake I was making. (And also how the longest roads actually worked) Still a lot of fun. Thanks for hosting. I'm going to check out your other thread.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Holy crap I won :eyepop:

I know a lot of people were complaining about corners on the last turn, but they saved my rear end. Allowed me to close off all my loose ends. Glory to Strongbadia Pompadia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

Reviving the thread to let everyone interested know that Railrdoad Ink is going Digital soon!

The launch party stream can be found here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bsqydq-zT7w