Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.
Update List:
- 1st Round
- Intermission: City Hall comms leaked!
- 2nd Round
- 3rd Round
- Intermission: even more comms leaked!
- 4th Round
- Intermission: a weird interference
- 5th Round
- Comms from City Hall leaked, again
- 6th Round
- 7th Round
- Final Score

Railroad Ink is a 2018 roll and write (think Yahtzee, but good) game published by Horrible Guild. Each player is a city planner charged with the design of the best possible infrastructure route (roads and railroads) for their own city - and if you are thinking "wow this sounds boring", then get ready to be amazed at how a concept so drab can be made charming with a few simple rules and some nice art. If you want a quick description and rules explanation, here's British funnymen Shut Up & Sit Down's review of the game:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rC6PVAmP7Bg

• The game is played over 7 Rounds.
  • At the beginning of each Round, a common pool of 4 Route Dice is rolled, presenting the players with a combinations of symbols from this list:

• Each player has to draw all four symbols on their board, filling up a grid that looks like this:

• Every Route drawn has to be connected by at least 1 side to either one of the Exits (orange arrows along the borders) or to a pre-existing Route.
  • You can freely rotate and/or reverse the pattern you see on the die.
  • You can't draw a Route in a way that directly connects Railways with Roads unless you are using a Station (black square that connects a Railway and a Road, IE: the last 2 die faces in the list above).
  • Each player also has a list of Special Routes that can be used once per round. Each Special Route can only be used once per game and only up to 3 of these can be used during the entire game:

• Each player must mark the spaces where they have drawn Routes this Round by writing the number of the current Round in the small white box inside the space:

• After the 7th Round, the game ends and the scores are tallied.
Scoring Points
  1. The main way to score points is Connecting Exits (orange arrows). You check how many Exits are connected by the same network of Routes (including Railways and Roads connected by a Station) and you gain points based on this table (if you have multiple networks, they all score points individually):

2. The Longest Road (longest unbroken streak of adjacent spaces with Road Routes, not counting branches - marked in blue in the example below) is worth 1 point/space. Spaces with a Station do not interrupt the streak.
  3. The Longest Railroad (longest unbroken streak of adjacent spaces with Railroad Routes, not counting branches - marked in blue in the example below) is worth 1 point/space. Spaces with a Station do not interrupt the streak.
  4. Each space occupied in the Central Square (orange square in the example below) is worth 1 point.
  5. Each end of a Route that does not connect with any other Route or the outer edge of the board counts as an Error (marked with an "x" inside a circle in the example below). Each Error is worht 1 negative point.

• I'll give players 1 week to sign up. Each player has to write a post in the thread with the name of their awesome/terrible Town.
  • If you don't have PMs, please send me an email at gloomhavenlp@gmail.com from your preferred contact. The email should contain your SA username.
  • After the signup window has expired, I'll send each player a PM/email with a blank sheet image (you'll be able to pick the color of your preference at this time).
  • Each Round, I'll publish the roll results in the thread. Each Round will last 1 week to let everyone participate at their pace.
  • During this time, every player will have to update their sheet (using any tool they prefer, from Photoshop to Paint) and send it back to me, marking down the new routes (don't forget to mark the Round number as well!). If you are using one of the Special Routes, please cross it out from the top of sheet.
  • If you prefer, there is a Tabletop Simulator mod that you can use for this, and it seems legit, but I'd rather not commit any :files: crimes so I'm not going to link to it. If you own the game, you could also just draw on a real gamesheet and take a picture of it. The sky is the limit.
  • Every time I publish the next Round of dice rolls, I'll also post everyone's in progress effort in the thread.
  • At the End of the seventh Round, we'll count the points and crown the winner of the 1st SA Railroad Ink Tournament! If there is a tie, the thread will vote on the winner for the best looking Town.
  • The winner, on top of the bragging rights, will receive not one but two forum upgrades of their choice. Or, if they prefer, I'll donate :20bux: to a charity of their choice.
  • Feel free to ask if you have any doubts on the rules (in the thread or in private); you can also consult the full rules here

- Are we using any expansion dice? No. We are using the base game "white" dice only.
- What if I'm late to the party? If you are late for the signup you can still take part in the game if you manage to do so before the first Round results are published, since nothing has been revealed yet. After that, you'll be unable to participate.
- What if I'm late with a Round update? Same as above: you can still send me your updated sheet up to the point when the latest Round results are published.

That Italian Guy fucked around with this message at 11:35 on Jan 4, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.
Reserved for future use.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

Want to test your mettle before the Tournament?
If the answer is yes, you are in luck! Shut Up & Sit Down has ran a few "play along" videos during the course of the lockdown, and one of them is for this very game. Just have a look at what the dice rolls are, pause the video if you want, and write down your selection. At the end of the video, you'll even see if you are better at this than Matt and Tom.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3YkjU-yV2N0

What resources can I use to play along?
Aside from the already mentioned TTS mod - which is being used in the video, making me think this is some kind of author/publisher sanctioned mod - you can:
  • Print these B&W sheets, if you want to write things down with your bare hands.
  • Save a copy of one of these digital boards, then use your graphic editor of choice:
What's up with the funky blue dice?
The play along video uses the expansion rules (and dice) for Lakes. These are the extra rules (alternatively, there is a full rules explanation at the start of the video):

Blastinus posted:

I'm absolutely down for this. The premise makes it sound like Carcassonne and I love me some Carcassonne.
The tile placing mechanic is quite similar - although of course everyone is building up their own map in this case. Like most roll&write game, Railroad Ink has no direct player interaction, which in turn allows us to run this asynchronous LP with any number of people. Speaking of!

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We've talked about Lake dice in the previous post; the other expansion in the Deep Blue set is Rivers.

Full cover for the Deep Blue edition.
  • As with the Lakes expansion, the Rivers one plays over 6 turn instead of 7.
  • You roll the 2 River dice on top of the regular four ones. You are not forced to draw any of the River dice, if you don't want to.
  • You don't have to connect Rivers to an existing one, but each "open" river end count as an Error at the end of the game.
  • You can't connect Rivers to exits. You can't connect Rivers to Roads or Railroads unless you use a Bridge (special face on the River dice).
  • At the end of the game, you choose one of your Rivers. You score 1 Point for every space of its lenght. If both ends of that River touch the outer edge of the map, you score 3 extra points.
  • Full rules for the expansion:

:siren::siren::siren:
We could play with this expansion, even if I said we were going to play with the base game. Please vote itt if you think we should be using it! If the majority votes yet, I'll edit the OP to reflect this :)

That Italian Guy fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Nov 5, 2020

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

whitehelm posted:

I hope we get some posts explaining why towns are building where they build whether out of character strategy posts, or in-character RPing. Either will of course affect any potential tie-breaker vote I give.
*Nods wisely in agreement*

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

The city planners list is growing! While we wait for the signup phase to be completed, let's talk about the other set. Railroad Ink has had a Pokèmon-style release, with 2 editions hitting the markets at the same time: Deep Blue, that we have already examined; and Blazing Red. The two editions are cross compatible, being almost identical for large part of the content; the main difference is the art and the Expansion Dice included with each edition. If the Blue edition has River and Lakes dice, the Red one has Volcanoes and Meteors.

Today we're having a look at the Meteors expansion dice.

Cover art for the Blazing Red box.

Meteors create Craters where they land, destroying any existing Route they impact, but allowing the player to harvest minerals and score points by connecting Routes to them.
  • The game duration is reduced to 6 Rounds.
  • You have to roll the expansion dice and draw a new Crater each round.
  • To determine the point of impact, you combine the two expansion dice: one dice shows distance (in spaces from the previous Crater) and the other direction.
  • Meteors bounce against the map border. Also, if a new Meteor would land on an existing Crater, it moves forward to the next free space in line.
  • You can mark one of your three Special Routes usage/game to ignore a single Meteor hit.
  • You can draw on top of a Crater, erasing it, but at the end of the game you get 2 points for each Route with an open connection to a Crater - and of course they don't count as Errors.
  • Full rules for the expansion:

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

Let's keep talking about the game while we wait for the signup period to be up :)

Remember when we said that the game has no direct interaction between players? This has been changed earlier this year, when Horrible Guild has kickstarted a new version of the game called Railroad Ink - Challenge. Well, in keeping with tradition, TWO new versions: Lush Green and Shining Yellow. As with the previous set, the main difference between the boxes is the art and the Expansion dice included. I have backed the Green edition (although I've just realized I like the Yellow version better, now that it's too late) and it should arrive in a month or so!

Box cover for the new sets.

Both editions of Railroad Ink Challenge add a few new things compared to the Blue and Red editions:
  • As mentioned before, this edition introduces player interaction in the way of Goal Cards. At the start of the game, a shared pool of Goals is drawn - certain are generic (IE: draw at least 5 Routes in the central square) while others have to do with the new Expansions. The players who achieve them faster get greater rewards, so you’ll have to keep an eye on what your opponents are doing and try to complete the Goals before they do.
  • Both Challenge sets include new white dice, with more possible Routes compared to the Blue and Red sets.
  • Certain spaces on the board now include small icons representing Structures: Factories allow you to duplicate a die, Villages give bonus points if they are close to a station, Universities unlock extra Special Routes.

• And of course each edition comes with its own Expansion dice: the Green set has Forests and Trails dice, while the Yellow one has Deserts and Canyons dice.

In the Forests expansion you'll try to build the largest orthogonally adjacent forest possible. In the Trails expansion, you'll draw trails in the corner of the Routes next to the main Roads and Railroads, trying to connect them to Stations.

In the Deserts expansion, you'll try to make your cacti survive the heat of the sun by having oasis next to them. In the Canyons expansion (not depicted) you'll draw canyons along the edges of the spaces, instead of inside of them; and you'll score points based on how many edges your canyon touches.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

Xiahou Dun posted:

Also, I know I'm super annoying about this, but color-blind people exist. To me these color-coded things might as well be random or magic.

Ah it's ok, there are no color coded items in the base set :) All the dice are black on white and there are no mini details inside spaces in the central square.

Of course if you are still having issues with the colors I can alter them to something more easily readable though!

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

As a reminder:

Tomorrow is the last day to sign up for the tournament!!

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

Final Reminder that today is the last day to sign up for the game!

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

Warm up your engines! Then cool them off, cause we aren't really driving anywhere - there are no Roads OR Railroads. YET.

Welcome to the 1st SA Railroad Ink Tournament! We have contenders from all over the internet, ready to recreate that M6 planning story from Good Omens plan the best possible infrastructure for their lovely towns. In a few minutes, each player will receive a PM/E-mail to officially start their planning career. Each player is free to use whatever medium they prefer to fill up their board (TTS mod, MS Paint, pictures from a real Railroad Ink set, etc) as long as the Routes and the Round number can be easily recognised. So without further ado, let's roll some dice! (right click > show controls > unmute if you want to hear the lovely sound of digital dice)

https://i.imgur.com/Znm9Bxn.mp4

As a reminder:
  • Every dice MUST be used.
  • Every Route drawn has to be connected by at least 1 side to either one of the Exits (orange arrows along the borders) or to a pre-existing Route.
  • You can freely rotate and/or reverse the pattern you see on the dice.
  • You can't draw a Route in a way that directly connects Railways with Roads unless you are using a Station (black square that connects a Railway and a Road).
  • Up to 3 Special Routes (on top of the gaming board) can be used during the game - only 1 per round, each one can only be used once per game. If you use one, don't forget to mark it off the board!
  • Don't forget to mark the Round Number in the small white box in the corner of the spaces you are drawing Routes into!

City Planners, you have a week to return a filled in game sheet to me! Remember that you can still sign up for the game up until the 1st Round results have been published!

Even if you don't want to participate in the tournament, you are more than welcome to play along! Feel free to use these boards:

EDIT: SporkChan you are unable to receive PMs at the moment! Maybe your inbox is full? Please let me know when I can try again (or send an email to gloomhavenlp@gmail.com if you prefer to be contacted via email) :)

That Italian Guy fucked around with this message at 13:37 on Nov 11, 2020

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

CzarChasm posted:

Two questions.

For this first round, does every die have to connect to one of the exits, or can I say take the straight road (1st die) connect it to an exit, and then place the 90 degree road (2nd die) to the first one?

Second, with the special dice, do you use one of them in addition to the four dice that are rolled each round (placing 5 tiles for that round), or do you use a special die in place of one of the normal ones?
Narsham has beaten me to it, but to confirm:
  1. You can always (including during the 1st Round) connect Routes to either an Exit or another Route, even if you've just placed it.
  2. The Special Routes are in addition to the 4 shown on the dice Routes (so you'll place 5 Routes instead of 4 in the Rounds you chose to play a Special Route in).

That Italian Guy fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Nov 11, 2020

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

Brief update

City Hall has received more than half the submissions already, and no one has chosen the same Route configuration so far! Also, I've just realized Railroad Ink is available at Tabletopia with a free account, so I guess that's another way you could complete the challenge! Only negative note is that, afaik, there is no way to mark down the Round number in there, so you would still need to take a screenshot of your board and then write the numbers down with Paint/Photoshop/other.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

A reminder from City Hall
This is a reminder that, depending on your timezone, Monday may be the last day to submit your drawings to City Hall!
Best Regards,
Carl the Temp.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

City hall comms leaked!
Almost all the submissions have reached City Hall already! However, it looks like our IT infrastructure is as in need of improvements as its physical one - today, this highly classified E-mail was leaked on the internet by certain nefarious individuals:

City Hall posted:

Hello and welcome to $city_name!

As our new City Planner, you are the lucky recipient of this veritable treasure trove of junk digital assets from City Hall!
  • Not just one, but two different official bluprint sheets for you to create the best infrastructure ever:

• You don't like the color scheme? Then neither do we! Feel free to alter it however your creative spirit compels you. Or, if you don't know how, just contact City Hall with the specifications you require, and we will provide new blueprint sheets in the color of your preference (1).
  • At City Hall, we believe our city planners should be free to express themselves in whichever way they prefer (2)! You can use a graphic editor of your choice, a Tabletop Simulator mod (3)(4) or even the newfangled Photography system if you happen to own a copy the official Railroad Ink business tool. Whatever you choose please make sure the Routes can be easily identified and don't forget to mark down the Round number in the appropriate small empty box inside the space.
  • Please remember to include the Town Motto in your first reply (5).
  • These are the official Routes provided by City Hall for the 1st week of public works:

• Remember that you can freely rotate and/or reverse them as you see fit (6).
  • Also remember the Special Routes that have been graciously made available to us by REDACTED (7)(8).
  • You have 1 week to return a compiled work in progress city plan to City Hall.
  • You can always contact City Hall if you have queries! (9)

Here at City Hall we have full trust in your competence and we are looking forward to see your masterpiece (10).

(1) The color of your preference may be subjected to extensive taxation.
(2) City plans submitted through Interpretative dance are NO LONGER accepted.
(3) A Tabletop Simulator key is not included in this digital asset package.
(4) Please refer to City Hall memo #114/19 regarding unapproved usages of the Steam ludic platform during business hours.
(5) If this Town doesn't have a motto, instead: congratulations, you just passed the 1st test.
(6) Euclidean geometry only.
(7) A reminder that you are contractually obliged NOT to enquire about the origin of said routes.
(8) Also, a reminder that you are contractually obliged not to listen to anything Carl has to say.
(9) Response time may vary based on your title and qualifications.
(10) See point #8.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We have had some...exceedingly interesting submissions so far!

The last remaining player has asked for an extension until tomorrow (Tuesday) lunchtime EST, so we will have our first Round update then :)

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

ENCLOSURE (1)
This Enclosure has been removed.

ENCLOSURE (2)

Project RRI #001-J posted:

Nowhere - Sighence

Motto REDACTED

New Mathsville - Blastinus

Always Show Your Work!

Dimension of Doors - Phelddagrif

Motto REDACTED

Linesham-upon-Plastic - Pea

THE LINE MUST BE DRAWN HERE!

Steelicity - Eeepies

Steelicity - the city of steel cars and trains!

Otisburg - CzarChasm

Motto REDACTED

Sporkia - SporkChan

Sporkia, where we provide the right tool for ALL MANY Most some jobs!

Las Llamas - megane

Life is better with llamas™!

Pompadia - The General

Motto REDACTED

Beltreno - Omobono

Meglio un autobus oggi che un treno domani

ENCLOSURE (3)
This Enclosure has been removed.

ENCLOSURE (4)

Project RRI #12-JL posted:

https://i.imgur.com/p0TbfkL.mp4

That Italian Guy fucked around with this message at 10:26 on Nov 19, 2020

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

A Reminder from City Hall
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello!

This is a reminder that, depending on your timezone, Monday may be the last day to submit your drawings to City Hall!

Best Regards,
Carl the Temp.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

From tcarl@.cntrc.rri.com posted:

Dear Mr. Mayor,

I have just finished setting up the new flyer for "RRI Developments", as per your request; please find it attached to this email.
Best Regards,
Carl T.

PS: your vechicle has been thorougly scrubbed and is ready for inspection.

Cities in progress

Nowhere - Sighence

Motto REDACTED

Always Show Your Work!

Motto REDACTED

Steelicity - Eeepies

Otisburg - CzarChasm

Motto REDACTED

Sporkia - SporkChan

Las Llamas - megane

Pompadia - The General

Motto REDACTED

Beltreno - Omobono

From REDACTED@.rri.com posted:

To Whom It May Concern,

these are the Routes for your RRI Development™ for week #3.

https://i.imgur.com/UarZZCh.mp4

PS: it has come to our attention that the full statistical distribution for the Procedural process is not a know entity to most of the City Planners. These are the possible outcomes when planning a RRI Development™:

That Italian Guy fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Nov 25, 2020

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

Leaked Comms from City Hall
Week 3 planning instructions have been unexpectedly delayed. We now know why.

Email 11-26-20 posted:

Seasonal Greetings from City Hall!

Did you know that a flock of turkeys is just called a flock of turkeys? But sometimes, it's called a gang. Apologies for the delayed communications, Carl was trampled by a flock of savage turkeys and had to be hospitalized. We found this in his inbox though:
REDACTED

Best Wishes,
Martha from Archives

PS: if you have already submitted your week 3 plans, good job! We knew we could count on you.

Also, someone did a really nasty hack job and was able to leak these seemingly innucuos emails from last week as well.

Email 11-18-20 posted:

Greetings from City Hall!

Your initial submission has left everyone astonished. Martha in Archives was awe-struck for a good hour (1)! We all agree that this has been the best thing to happen to this Town since the Old Ferry was made free to ride in 1954 (2).
These are the brand new official Routes for the 2nd week of public works:
REDACTED

Here at City Hall we knew you were the perfect candidate for this; we are looking forward to your next submission.

Best Regards,
City Hall

(1) Please don't forget to consult Directive #34-bis/12 Public works and expected results to avoid such incidents in the future.
(2) See point #8 from our previous communication.

That Italian Guy fucked around with this message at 10:38 on Nov 26, 2020

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

A reminder from City Hall the infirmary.

Hello!

Best Regards,
Carl the Temp.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

Good news everyone! Carl is getting better. Our common acquaintance, Sighence, has even sent him a "Get Well Soon" card and I've been told it has been most appreciated! Carl was only mildly traumatized by the avian theme.

Speaking of news, it looks like word is spreading!

Speaking of spreading, it's Infrastructure Week!

3rd Round Progress posted:

Nowhere - Sighence

Motto REDACTED

Always Show Your Work!

That Train Was Just A Car

Steelicity - Eeepies

Otisburg - CzarChasm

Motto REDACTED

Sporkia - SporkChan

Las Llamas - megane

Pompadia - The General

Motto REDACTED

Beltreno - Omobono

Speaking of Week, these are the week 4 approved plans:

Round 4 dice posted:

https://i.imgur.com/UGzPY5Y.mp4

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

Omobono posted:

This was over 7 rounds total, right?

Yes, a full game without any expansion dice lasts for a total of 7 Rounds :)

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

Blastinus posted:

Guess I should actually start deploying those superpower pieces. As the saying goes: use it or lose it.

Yeah, as a reminder you can draw up to 3 Special Routes, but you can only use one each Round! It's not mandatory, but it usually is quite beneficial.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

A Reminder from City Hall
Heavy snowfall is expected across most of the northern emisphere, so please note that depending on your timezone, today may be the last day to submit your drawings to City Hall!
PS: this is true even if your Town is located in the southern emisphere - minus the snow.

A weird interference
Comms from City Hall were...a bit weird last week. We are almost certain there is now a mole in City Hall, altering and leaking correspondence that is supposed to be highly confidential. At least, the Routes provided were kept intact, but this trend is quite worrisome.

Comms from City Hall, 12/01 posted:

Greetings from City Hall, Friend!

Carl is doing better, but he is not out of infirmary yet - something about some kind of wing-claw-and-beak bird virus. I'm sure it's nothing.

In the meantime, great news! Our boldacious city planning initiative has finally been recognized by local scriveners and articles themselves are only mildly slandering. These are the new Routes for week 4 of our Glorious Seven Weeks Plan:

Keep up good work,
Boris, Assistant City Cultural Attaché for Comradery

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

Not sure what to say about this. Slander of the highest order.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gxdl7b0AJ8I

We don't think we can trust any piece of media that mispells the word "word". In an unrelated note, I hope everyone will join us in welcoming back Carl after his recovery.

4th Round Progress posted:

Nowhere - Sighence

Motto REDACTED

Always Show Your Work!

Steelicity - Eeepies

Otisburg - CzarChasm

Motto REDACTED

Sporkia - SporkChan

Las Llamas - megane

Pompadia - The General

Motto REDACTED

Beltreno - Omobono

Round 5 dice posted:

https://i.imgur.com/RsSM4pD.mp4

That Italian Guy fucked around with this message at 12:22 on Dec 8, 2020

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

Hello!

Best Regards,
Carl the Temp.

Leaked comms from City Hall, 12-08-20

quote:

A defamating piece of media may have come to your attention in the last few days, over the so called "You Tube". Our expert in everything young, Carl, assures us that this is a clear attempt at destroying everything good we have been building - surely the culprits are from That City over there. You know the one.

Anyhow, these are the Routes for this week, straight out of the press!

This infrastructure renovation is totally worth the money we are paying, if you ask us.

Best Regards,
City Hall

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

One of our City Planners has not submitted their drawings withing the deadline! How authentic :3:

We'll wait one more day, to comply with the #335/1917 directive "5 seconds rule, but in days".

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

'Tis the season to be industrious and productive, at least according to RRI's corporate guidelines!

By the way, some of you have inquired about my middle name. It's a bit of a personal question, but since we have worked so hard on this project together, I think we can get a bit personal! My middle name is Cindy. Here are the latest Routes:
https://i.imgur.com/25qoNlf.mp4

It looks like the Railroad union has started a strike this week - something about being overworked the last week. So I hope you enjoy Roads!

By the way, Deadline this week is the 23rd of December, but please let us know if you need an holidays extension!

Best Wishes,
City Cindy Hall

Round 5 progress posted:

Nowhere - Sighence

Motto REDACTED

Always Show Your Work!

Steelicity - Eeepies

Otisburg - CzarChasm

Motto REDACTED

Sporkia - SporkChan

Las Llamas - megane

Pompadia - The General

Motto REDACTED

Beltreno - Omobono

That Italian Guy fucked around with this message at 12:21 on Dec 16, 2020

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

Hello!

This is a reminder that, depending on your timezone, Tuesday may be the last day to submit your drawings to City Hall!

Best Regards,
Carl the Temp.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

Dear City Planner / Mayor,

we were going over the expenses we have so far sustained during the new RRI development and...well, something has surfaced. Please find minutes from the last City Hall meeting attached:

You can find the rest of the minutes on Twitter - we are all for transparency here! The good news is that we have spent very little on anything that is not "dice". No wait, that's the bad news. In fact, we'll have to slash the dice budget massively if we want our City to continue exist after the next month. We have had some dissent, of course:

Image courtesy of Sighence.

Anyhoo, this is the proverbial end of the line. The stopping point. The die is cast, if you will. So have fun with the remaining funding and may all the gods have mercy on our soul.
https://i.imgur.com/dZSTfaj.mp4

As a result of the budget cuts, no straight Roads/Railroads have been produced. But if you like 90° turns, oh boy, you're in for a treat!

NOTE: since this is the last time anyone on this project is getting paid, take your time. You have until January 6th to submit your creations. Of course if everyone is a stakhanovist and we get all the submission before that term, we'll just pull the trigger and publish the final results then. As if.

Time for me to update my resumee.

Sincerely,
City Cindy Hall

Round 6 results posted:

Nowhere - Sighence

Motto REDACTED

Always Show Your Work!

Steelicity - Eeepies

Otisburg - CzarChasm

Motto REDACTED

Sporkia - SporkChan

Las Llamas - megane

Pompadia - The General

Motto REDACTED

Beltreno - Omobono

That Italian Guy fucked around with this message at 11:58 on Dec 23, 2020

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

Eeepies posted:

Quick question: Is something like this allowed?

Yes, as long as it doesn't connect directly a Road and a Railroad (IE: if the route below the circled one had an open Road connector on the "north" side). The open end will count as an Error (-1 point) at the end of the game, but it's possible to place a Route like that.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

Most of the submissions so far have been reaaaly close in score! This is going to be interesting :suspense:

Also, this is the official judge for the Tournament. As you can see, everything is being handled with the highest degree of professionality:

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We've had a few peculiar Rounds this game, with a ton of "4 of the same" or almost rolls. The four 90° turns on Round 7 has been particularly nasty since almost everyone had set up a few exit Routes with just a piece missing :v:

And yeah, Blue and Red editions have no real interactions with the other players during regular play till the very end; the new editions have a "Challenge" mode with objectives that can be completed by all the players but give more points to the 1st/2nd/3rd completing them. The KS copies should be shipped soon/have been shipped already, so I'll be able to try the Lush Green Challenge edition eventually.

EDIT: ok I lied, apparently the last update is "the game is being produced now", so it'll take a while. Last time I was talking about the KS I forgot to metion the 11x11 giant playboard with impassable mountains (unless you are using a specific Route) and "internal" Exits, so here's a pic! Also you can see the new Routes available in the Challenge dice in the lower left corner:

That Italian Guy fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Dec 29, 2020

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

Omobono posted:

Edit: unless I made a rules mistake but I think you'd have told me already.

I got it yes!

But if you want to make improvements for your Round 7 turn, I guess it's not a problem. I was a bit afraid this would become a trend, but actually it never happened since the start of the game, so it's alright if you want to change something before the deadline. I'm still missing 3 submissions and I guess they'll arrive in the new year :)

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

Sighence posted:

Yeah one of them is me sorry, I'll submit tonight. My tts save got corrupted so I have to do weird MSPaint cutting to make it work.

No worries, the deadline is January 6th so no rush :) I'll update before then if I get all the submissions, but you can take your time since I'm also missing 2 more drawings.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

CzarChasm posted:

I will also add that this inspired me to pickup a copy of the game myself. Though I'd be lying if Shut Up & Sit Down advocating strongly for it didn't also push hard.

Another job well done :colbert:

Jokes aside, I also tend to follow their recommendations a lot cause they usually match my tastes quite well.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

Sighence posted:

The tabletop simulator version has some doozies for expansions too. :cthulhu:
Yeah, most of those are stretch goals from the latest Kickstarter (for the Green&Yellow Challenge editions). They include this:

TIG's 2021 sneak peak
Once the game is over, I'm planning to start a new LP for another game from the same authors of RRI. They must have gone to the Vlaada Chvatil's school of game design, cause it's completely different (both thematically and mechanically, with a giant box and a ton of pieces) but it's also absolutely amazing.

To whet your appetite, you can have a look at this video...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XaTHH7xDRqE

Oh, and Happy New Year - depending on your timezone!

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

Omobono posted:

Sir, you are insane and I wish to subscribe to your newsletter threads.

This is a surprisingly light admin game to run, since a ton of content is emergent gameplay between teams (each House is going to be a team) - at least with a couple of changes to the auction system and if everything works the way I think :ssh:

That Italian Guy fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Dec 31, 2020

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

Happy New year everyone! We are only missing one submission! City Hall will release the final ratings as soon as all the drawings have been collected.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

All the drawings have been submitted and the scoring has been completed. As mentioned before, it's been a very tight race! So tight, in fact, that we have an ex aequo first place by score between two players. The thread will have the last word on who's going to be our Rail Road Ink Tournament Champion!

These are the final submissions by all our players (ignore the scoring on them cause they are not necessarily correct):

So, without further ado, these are the final scores for our Tournament:
https://i.imgur.com/s3HHhfH.mp4

As you can see, two contestants are tied at the top spot; luckily for us, the rules of Railroad Ink take this eventuality into consideration: In case of a tie, the winner is the player with the fewest Error marks on their board. If they’re still tied, the victory is shared. With one of the longest Railways I've ever seen, the winner of our 1st Railroad Ink SA Tournament is The General! Congrats on your well deserved victory, and please let me know if you prefer to receive two forum upgrades or :20bux: to a charity of your choice.

Thanks to everyone who was part of the game and I hope you had fun! We may do this again in the future :)

EDIT: I somehow forgot to add a full "history" of the game! Here it is:

Full Game posted:

Nowhere - Sighence

Motto REDACTED

Always Show Your Work!

Steelicity - Eeepies

Otisburg - CzarChasm

Motto REDACTED

Sporkia - SporkChan

Las Llamas - megane

Pompadia - The General

Motto REDACTED

Beltreno - Omobono

That Italian Guy fucked around with this message at 13:52 on Jan 4, 2021