Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eeepies
May 29, 2013

Bocchi-chan's... dead.
We'll have to find a new guitarist.
I'm signing up as councilor of Steelicity. I'll put a vote towards no expansion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eeepies
May 29, 2013

Bocchi-chan's... dead.
I gave harsh glares at my subordinates. "Does no one here know what I want? What I need!? Your plans are all rubbish!" The subordinates look among each other, not knowing what their eccentric mayor would want. One of them, the new intern, stammered a reply "Sir, I have one last plan here, but I was afraid of showing it". I took a look at his plans, and a small smile went over my face.

"Great plan! Your submission is accepted!" As the rest look among each other in confusion, wondering what they missed that the intern found, I finally gave my reason.

All that matters is the center.

Eeepies
May 29, 2013

Bocchi-chan's... dead.
Steeliticy appreciates all the railroads coming, and we're sending in a petition for even more rails in the future.

Eeepies
May 29, 2013

Bocchi-chan's... dead.

That Italian Guy posted:

It looks like the Railroad union has started a strike this week - something about being overworked the last week. So I hope you enjoy Roads!

The citizens of Steelicity will not stand down quietly into the night at this outrage, City Hall.

Eeepies
May 29, 2013

Bocchi-chan's... dead.
Quick question: Is something like this allowed?

Or the dead end leading out of the map instead

Eeepies fucked around with this message at 12:18 on Dec 23, 2020

Eeepies
May 29, 2013

Bocchi-chan's... dead.
I planned out my final turn so that i could work with railroads, roads, T-junctions.
I didn't plan for 4 corners lol, fortunately I could fit them in but that was annoying af.

Eeepies
May 29, 2013

Bocchi-chan's... dead.
Had a lot of fun with this as well, thanks for hosting! If i do a breakdown of my turns and my thought process behind each one, would anyone be interested?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eeepies
May 29, 2013

Bocchi-chan's... dead.
Turn-by-turn play from me:

Turn 1

Coming into the game, my first instinct was that I wanted to rush to the center as soon as possible, so when I saw the 3 road set-up, I immediately started placing them towards the center. The 2 big questions I had for this turn were the following:
1. Does the overpass belong on the first square, or the second?
I finally went with the center position instead of being next to the border, with the argument that it'll be much easier for me to connect it to the main road eventually. This then led me to my second question:
2. Does the railway connect with the overpass immediately, or does it go onto a border?
I decided finally on no, because as a curved railway, if I connected it to the overpass, it'll be very awkward to connect out eventually.
Retrospect on turn 1:
In retrospect, I went about the 2 questions the wrong way. I should have thought about both of them together, because I think the correct method would have been to overpass on the first square, and railroad in it's current position so that I just needed one straight railway to get them connected. I could worry about connecting the two highways together later.

Turn 2

I don't think the play this turn here was faulty. Connecting the off-railroad with the overpass using the other curve railroad and the special tile makes sense, and I decided to use the special tile here because I already knew what the 4 tile surrounding it were. Road going top was for the connection to the top, while the T-junction railroad off the right was to connect with the new overpass. BUT.
Retrospect on turn 2:
I can't help but feel that I'm being too fancy with my plays here. Instead of making it look neat and trying to connect everything, would I be better off rushing for connections first? I still don't know.

Turn 3

My main fault here was to attempt too much, I think. At this point, I was looking to connect to 6 different connections while getting a connection between the main road and the main railroad. I needed to devote 11 of the upcoming 14 tiles for that task, which required me to get really lucky, and suffice it to say I didn't get it.
Should I have tried to connect my railroad at the top right, or build at the bottom instead and get a connection there?
Now that I had a look at this turn, I can say that I was forced into this move because of my play in Turn 2, and well, that makes me think my turn 2 was wrong. Specifically, the tile at the top left of the center box. That tile alone made me overreach.

Turn 4

The question for this turn was do I continue to extend at the right, or close off my top left?
I could have placed 3 of the tiles at the top left, closing it off entirely, while tossing my curved railroad somewhere else. Ultimately though, I decided going right was more important, since it finished off the right-most connection and allowed me an easy access to the bottom-right one.

Turn 5

This turn was straightforward for me. The two tiles at the bottom left solved that area basically, and all I needed was a straight road or a straight station to finish that place off. The 2 rail T-junctions got me thinking about longest railroad, and if I could connect those last 2 tiles there, it would have been a 14 path railroad. Again, previous placements and these tiles forced me into this move, I don't think I could see any other alternative. All I needed were more railroads to get this done.

Turn 6

And as it turns out, more railroads were the one thing I didn't have. This turn's pure roads were pretty bad for me. It helped in the longest road, and getting the bottom connections connected, but again, I'm still looking at the top left and regretting it heavily. 3 errors, a huge long connection that really gave no benefit apart from longest railroad, which I couldn't even get that long anymore since there was no point doing a second connection at the bottom right. Now, I just needed straight stuff.

Turn 7

And as it turned out, the dice basically said 'get bent'. A curved road that I couldn't use, a curved station that I couldn't use, and two curved railroads which I could use to block off the errors at the north while extending longest railroad... but really weren't ideal either! I tried a few different methods, but at the end this gave me my most points. Turn 6-7 were a disaster for me.

Conclusion
Ultimately, I think my 2 biggest mistakes in this game were:
1. Overreaching
I reached for too many connections, and got burned. The top right corner especially was easy points, and I didn't grab them. I only got 28 points when 32 should have been easily reachable. Which ties into my next mistake:
2. Building too many tiles at the same section
I spent so many tiles to make a nice close-knit road/railway system, but beauty doesn't give any points. Connections, especially easy connections does, and the 9 empty tiles at the top right stick out like a huge sore thumb. 2 tiles in any direction at the top right would have gotten me 4 more points, tying me for first, but my tiles were stacked so close to each other that it was inefficient, inelegant, and in the end, insufficient for my victory.