Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?

Cornwind Evil posted:

I'm cash strapped and the library has a long waiting list: I'm mainly curious how 'Libertarians take over a town and discover the deep flaws of everyone being like them' triggers 'a mass increase of bear numbers and bear aggression'. The way it's described it's like the Libertarian mass somehow caused a brainwave pulse that drove bears insane.

It's not so much that the libertarians drive the bears crazy. It's more of a confluence of events. Increased human expansion into bear habitat + climate change = more frequent interactions with bears that have learned that humans are good food sources and also squishy and not to be feared. Add to that libertarian rugged individualism, and you have a town (and state) that cannot create or even fathom community-based solutions to the problem.

I'd actually just read this when it got chosen for BOTM, and found it to really be more like two stories being told in parallel - the story of Grafton, its history, and the various civic personalities that drive its descent into libertarian paradise/hellscape, and the story of the bears, which could happen really anyway, but the problem is amplified by Grafton (and New Hampshire)'s reflexive inability to spend public money on a public issue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU