Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Rad thread.

BoldFrankensteinMir posted:

Again, I greatly appreciate your optimism, but my personal experiences in life have repeatedly screamed the opposite to me. Now, if that's the result of just living inside Capitalism's fun-house mirror, I can maybe see that. But so what? It's not like we can wipe that away at this point, the damage is already thoroughly done.

I don't see the value in guessing what people would have been like if Capitalism had never happened in the first place because it clearly did, we ended the Holocene era with it for pete's sake. Even if you're 100% right and greed is just the result of a false scarcity enforcing system, you can't write it off because it's not "natural". Is it not human nature to farm and build permanent structures just because we didn't used to do it?

If rapacious greed and stepping on the downtrodden is an intrinsic part of human nature then there's no point in improving governance. It's like theorizing that I'm just a Boltzmann brain, floating in the void, having vivid hallucinations about posting. I can't disprove it, but if it's true then nothing I do matters; the only sane choice is to act like it isn't, just in case.

BoldFrankensteinMir posted:

I do not, I have seen people horde massive piles of stuff and live in permanent fear of poverty despite their being extremely well-off and those concerns being completely nonsensical. I think greed persists no matter the material conditions of a person's life, because it's a simple animal response that exists inside their own head first and foremost, like the urge towards anxiety-driven binge-eating when you're not hungry. Ever left a dog alone with an open bag of food? It's in no way beneficial for them to gorge themselves until they throw up, there is no real scarcity in play, but they do it anyway on instinct.

But it is beneficial: it is in response to the distinct possibility that there won't be any food later, so stock up now. It's just another material condition. That there's no material scarcity in play is part of the point - just like dogs, people aren't rational.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU