Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
Anybody have a good elevator pitch for Marxism?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Sharks Eat Bear posted:

Here’s my crack, I’m not at all an expert or well-educated source. Definitely open to hear the thread’s input on what I’m getting wrong too :)

Marxism is a criticism of capitalism, that hinges on pointing out the fundamentally exploitative relationship between capital and labor. The more labor is devalued and weakened, the more successful and powerful capitalists can be. Even though it is a 19th century theory, a lot of today’s ills are explainable by this dynamic: income/wealth inequality, continued exploitation of colonized nations, union membership eroding, environmental destruction, etc. Marxism says that this makes capitalism unsustainable because labor can’t be indefinitely devalued, and that capitalism should be replaced by an economic model where workers own businesses.

All good but this is my favorite so far, I can't wait to use an elevator again.

I appreciate the help, I feel like my own understanding wasn't sufficient to adequately distill to the key points and make it sound appealing.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
A hundred years ago my job would've required dozens of people doing calculations, now I just use Excel. I don't know if that's "automation" but it definitely impacts worker demand.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
What's the difference between capitalism and older societal structures like ancient Egypt? Aside from things like, the Egyptian elites were not just metaphorically but literally deified.