Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Kanine posted:

literally anything involving deng xioping

Son of a bitch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Sharks Eat Bear posted:

Please excuse the naive question, but are things like culture and language really considered to be in the domain of ideas rather than material reality? I would think that language (for sure) and culture (debatably) would fall squarely into a materialist framework rather than idealist.

"Culture" in a neo-Kantian/Weberian sense is quintessential idealism, language is semiotics/post-structuralism and is not quite idealism but certainly not materialism

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Cpt_Obvious posted:

Let's play fantasy land and say a group of fascists try and take over the United States. And they fail. What do you suppose should be done with them? Do you believe they should be sent to to prison?

Yeah the basic problem is that liberals need to have the right onside in order for their politics to function. If there's any meaningful consequences for the Trumpists they'll permanently alienate most of the right. Of course they're already permanently alienated but at that point even the remote possibility of anyone who's not already a Never Trumper ever being reconciled to the liberal center will be dead. Liberals are rapidly approaching the point where they'll have to confront the fact their politics has 0 popular base, and in order to govern under such conditions they're going to have to be a lot more decisive, assertive and realistic than they've basically ever been, certainly for the last 40 years

icantfindaname fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Jan 11, 2021

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Sharks Eat Bear posted:

Mind expanding further? Sounds interesting, albeit not very intuitive for me personally*. I’d research myself but I have a feeling I’d have a whole lot of dialectics to unpack before i started scratching the surface...

*this may be a silly reductionist argument, but isn’t language materialist insofar as you could literally break it down into sound waves? Or is it that “noise” is material but certain groupings of noises having specific meanings is semiotic/post-structural? I have a hard time separating the meaning from the matter, I would think that all meaning is imbued into matter with context and observer biases, but anyway I’ll stop there because I have no idea if this makes sense or if I’m just showing my rear end! :)

There is a material aspect to language of course but as I understand it philosophers like Saussure and a bunch of other dead white French guys talked about language as a kind of abstract symbolic system with internal rules of grammar and such, but that exists outside of the subjective mind of individuals. That has little to do with materialism, it wasn’t about like physical speech or voice

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

The TRPF is empirically true though. I have seen people on Heinrichian Twitter making GBS threads on Michael Roberts but the data he uses is compiled by mainstream economists

https://thenextrecession.wordpress.com/2020/09/20/more-on-a-world-rate-of-profit/

Also interest rates have had an even clearer and longer secular decline since the early modern period, as this guy from Harvard Econ and the Bank of England details

https://www.bankofengland.co.uk/working-paper/2020/eight-centuries-of-global-real-interest-rates-r-g-and-the-suprasecular-decline-1311-2018

https://macromusings.libsyn.com/paul-schmelzing-on-the-suprasecular-decline-of-global-real-interest-rates

icantfindaname fucked around with this message at 13:11 on Feb 26, 2021

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Sharks Eat Bear posted:

If I’m understanding*, it doesn’t sound like the argument is intended to be convincing, per se. If it’s at least plausible/possible that s/v could grow faster than c/v, then you would have to accept that the expectation of declining rate of profit can’t be “proven”, in the sense of mathematical/logical formal expression. It can be hypothesized and supported through empirical study (which afaik, seems to be the case), but this is a step shy of being an inevitable logical necessity. This all kind of hinges on the use of the word “proven” in a technical, rather than colloquial sense.

*definitely a big “if”, I’m not very well-read on this so might be missing the mark entirely

That’s the same argument as in Marx after Sraffa. As far as I understood it though Marx from the beginning was assuming constant technology or at least that technological progress would eventually exhaust itself, which seems quite reasonable if perhaps a bit early circa 1850

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Here's an overview of the TRPF fresh from the take furnace of Heinrich twitter

https://twitter.com/jimmyjwu/status/1379871041804115969

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1zvyoa4s33ynbqaig32jUhZvC6j7G2HYC/view

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

The thing about PMC disourse is that if anything I feel like the PMC are a very 1960s phenomenon, and they've been on the decline now for decades. White collar labor has been massively deskilled by computers. "Managers" in the traditional Taylorist sense are on the way out, the whole point of the gig economy is that there are no managers but the algorithms. If anything we're returning to a nineteenth century system where the main class division really is just property ownership once again. A huge amount of "postmodern" left discourse I think took the conditions of the mid 20th century as normal and that was just wrong