Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

droll
Jan 9, 2020

by Azathoth
Dude seriously organize and form a union the IWW will help facilitate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

droll
Jan 9, 2020

by Azathoth
Just read a (random social media post) critique of Marxism wherein someone claimed that there is no longer a distinction between the Proletariat and Bourgeoisie classes because workers can have 401ks and "own" a house.

For a moment I thought this was insightful, but then big picture it seems wrong to claim that this means they're no longer distinct classes. Insightful to highlight that yes, the Bourgeoisie tried to make workers reliant upon Capitalism for their retirement and security with 401ks, so now we have workers that want the stock market number get bigger, but to claim theres no longer 2 distinct classes?

droll
Jan 9, 2020

by Azathoth
I wouldn’t be surprised if they claim retired workers living off 401k are suddenly bourgeois.

droll
Jan 9, 2020

by Azathoth

Ruzihm posted:

Even in the early 20th century, Marxists recognized that an individual person will not necessarily fall into exactly one class. The importance is the distinction between class interests - those of labor and those of capital. And an individual person's actions are driven by these interests as they are objectified by the capitalist mode of production.

In the following quote, Rosa Luxemburg describes how the activity of worker-owners must be primarily driven by the interests of capital, despite that they by all accounts are workers (emphasis mine):

This is interesting because I hear a lot about co ops from popular streamers like vaush and apparently Hasan but I haven't watched any of the latter's content regularly.

Open question to syndicalists that want co ops; how do you respond to an analysis such as Rosa's here?

droll
Jan 9, 2020

by Azathoth
Are posters in this thread saying worker co-ops are temporary because they will, as Luxemburg puts it, become either pure capitalist enterprises or fail/dissolve? Or is there a follow-on from this where they play a different role in the revolutionary movement if they haven't become pure capitalist enterprises yet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

droll
Jan 9, 2020

by Azathoth
Does anyone have some good writeups they can link thst might break down the Ukraine situation using Marxist analysis but maybe a bit simpler for newbie dummies like me?