Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Baka-nin posted:

Umm yeah you would, someone has to make those things, someone has to distribute them, someone has to handle replacements, someone has to make sure they're serving their intended purpose, someone has to take them out of circulation when no longer needed etc. Then there's the calculations of how much each card can actually use otherwise the system is completely pointless. You haven't changed anything or solved any of the problems, your just adding extra steps.

I think he's saying bitcoin will make communism

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
Seems like in the history of the world new technologies are the things that make actual large changes to social structures and the human conditions more than pretty much anything anyone just does

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

VictualSquid posted:

If technology will be able to save us depends significantly on the definition of technology.

Beer did a lot of writing on how planning systems made up of either people or computers interact with the real people the administer and the planning encoded in institutional patterns that the "scientific management" ends up destroying.
As cybernetics are generally considered part of stem this would be technology, but it isn't what most people mean by it.

I read this first as meaning beer the drink and I was nodding my head at how good an example of how a technology is the only thing that really fundamentally changes human civilization since beer is seen as one of the driving forces of the agricultural revolution

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Harold Fjord posted:

The Wealthy are fighting about who gets to exploit particular persons and materials.

which wealthy? putin is a super billionaire but the president of ukraine seems to be "owner of a used car lot" upper middle class. It seems like an invasion, not two equally matched foes being used as pawns under capitalism.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

I wonder what value the sanctions on Russia will have. I assume they will make life even more miserable for the Russian working class, and not have much effect on the richest. The elections are so rigged that there's no way to democratically remove Putin, militaries seem to always veer really far right these days so I assume there's no chance of a military coup, modern military technology is so overwhelming now that a "people's uprising" probably isn't possible anymore, etc.

“Sanctions have no effect on rich people” always feels like it’s partially rich people propaganda