Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

What's your timeline to completion? Neat to see all the work and thought put into this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Me have motors that scream to 10,000rpm. Me have more cars than Pick and Pull

Suburban Dad posted:

What's your timeline to completion? Neat to see all the work and thought put into this.

Honestly, it's been good for my mental health not to think in timelines other than kinda vaguely; I've had enough exposure to arbitrary deadlines in my professional career. What I do is give myself a series of shiny objects. Like, right now the physical side is "get steel for tube notcher and chassis" which is waiting on the truck to be fixed... the prepreg NACA duct stuff is a wholly separate "thing to learn capabilities with", the wheel scanning was "enable some design stuff that's figured out in concept and needed finalizing" final bodywork design requires me to learn some stuff in CAD to do it right (I'm not great at surfacing) and the next "figure this out, I don't have this planned out" sorta stuff is more detailed mounts and ducting and stuff. So when I have time I just poke at whatever I feel like, on average of an hour or three a day.

I think a realistic goal is to get the chassis structure knocked out before fall, and stuff relating to bodywork started around then too, but it's not very concrete; stuff comes up both in a 2020 sense and a personal life sense. I have a perfectly functional race car that I can get on track with once all the stuff for that works out too; this whole tube chassis project is kinda "build what may be the last race car I own" so I want to not stick myself with bad decisions to the greatest extent practical.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Fair enough. Seems very ambitious but fun to learn about a billion different things.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Well, that's the thing - if I wanted a finished product I could just save up and buy it. But I like designing and building stuff; so it's an ambitious thing I can design, build and then race? Perfection.

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos
Phew. Best of luck, that's hella ambitious. Bagging something as large as a fender in situ is not easy. I swore off carbon kevlar for even beer money after college. (And vowed to never own a boat made out of it.)

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

From the last thread... this was a few cars ago. All the visible bodywork in front of the doors/windshield was glass in borrowed molds, albeit wet layup. The big problem was the borrowed molds part, well and that they were on a unibody car. Well that and I didn't like that style as much but that's a separate issue. The molds were done (by a friend) with chopped strand mat over gelcoat and had the flanges riveted on, so every used they had to be drilled apart - all sorts of little pains like that. That's my benchmark though; that's cumbersome but acceptable, could probably turn out new body panel sets in a good weekend.

I figure with better designed, more rigid molds that bolt together with alignment features and with prepreg and stuff it could be more pleasant... but "unpleasant" is still acceptable.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Makes sense. I guess the question is will you need enough panels that the extra work upfront pays off down the road.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

I figure I've wanted to build a car like this for 20-some years, so my intent is to build it and then run it with mild evolutions until I can't - ideally due to old age. But basically the whole car is a long term exercise in "OK, what is every step to make sure I can keep this running on the race track?"

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Working on bodywork... sort of what I have in mind for front fenders.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Interesting!

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
If you're doing surface work in solidworks make sure to take advantage of the zebra tool or export and import into an actual surfacing program, their representation of surfaces is poor enough it will hide a lot of screwyness with wavy or rippled surfaces you won't see until you make molds, it's bitten me before.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

I don't know any "real surfacing tools" so ... oh well. It's a little ripple-ey but I was anticipating hand cleanup of the molds and stuff anyway; I'm sure it'll be race-car fine.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Well, on the 7th or so retry since I kept having bad surfaces... realize that duh, I don't actually give a poo poo if it's perfectly accurate to the stock contours, so current redo is going a bunch of surface sweeps. Still a pain in the butt but I suspect at least part of that is that I last played with surfacing stuff like, a few years ago.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

So, upon thinking about it... it's a race car, it'll have decals and stuff on it, and so on. I don't give a poo poo if the bodywork is accurate to the thou, just needs to look right.

Zebra display is nice and smooth too. Loses little details here and there but, hard meh, racecar.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Laying out more bodywork; did the doors because they're relatively easy plus provide perspective for some other stuff

Borla makes some rotary-specific mufflers - hey look, two of them fit! I may just fab my own to make sure it drat well lasts but now have a good idea how much space to play with.

Mufflers will probably be inside a box lined with heat shielding, fed with air from the wheel well at the front; should help control cockpit temperatures.

A bit of perspective on how far inboard the driver is pushed - door skin is at stock width, driver model is roughly scaled to, well, me.

jink
May 8, 2002

Drop it like it's Hot.
Taco Defender

mekilljoydammit posted:

A bit of perspective on how far inboard the driver is pushed - door skin is at stock width, driver model is roughly scaled to, well, me.

Love the smile. :)

This is looking great

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Working on laying out interior paneling a bit, will post pics when that's farther along, maybe Sunday.

In the mean time, just decided that most of the in-plane tube miters are pretty simple and I'm feeling antsy. So found a place that may deliver steel and thing I'm going to put in an order Monday. Definitely going to do the CNC notcher at some point but I don't need it to start.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Well hello... sometimes the price is right. Pair of Performance Friction ZR34 front calipers. Monoblock radial mount intended for circle track but they get used everywhere because they great value. Especially with what I paid.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

I've found what I consider to be some pretty cheap pricing on Amazon and parts houses for the factory GM Brembos used on various Cadillac Vs and Camaro/Corvettes. Amazon keeps showing me suggestions for V 4-piston calipers @ about $125, which doesn't seem terrible (though I've not priced out Brembos direct for some time.)

edit: also, if you're not aware, https://www.racingjunk.com/ seems to be a useful site for used, uh, racing junk.

Darchangel fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Apr 28, 2021

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

These honestly weren't a whole hell of a lot more than that. I'm obviously going to replace seals though.

The big thing with the caliper selection is that I'm at a particular niche... the OEM style Brembos tend to be optimized for 13-15 inch rotors or so and bigger wheels. These are optimized for 15 inch wheels with 11.75" rotors; they're intended for circle track but hey, it just turns out I have the same sort of constraints! They also use thicker pads than most OEM calipers, don't use dust boots (which tend to melt) and are monoblock instead of bolted together.

Brembo makes stuff in this market space too but boy howdy do they cost. These were intended for late model stock cars and so are deliberately cost contained.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Interesting, what are the piston sizes on them?

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Stock car/dirt track stuff is a handy resource.
Particularly for my '70 Cutlass. GM A-body use to be all over budget oval racing, and a lot of the newer stuff is stilled based on those parts.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

BlackMK4 posted:

Interesting, what are the piston sizes on them?

These ones are 41/44mm; there's a 25.5/29mm version, and PNs for left and right leading or trailing for both piston configs. They're solely for 1.25" wide rotors and are about Wilwood Superlite size. Not so obvious neat feature is that they use PFC's fancy insulated piston noses - two piece piston with a polyimide insulator between them to slow heat transfer into the brake fluid.

wankel13b
Jan 23, 2005

quak
I know nothing about laying up fiberglass but could you do it with the macro metal flake like on bass boats and dune buggies?

Good job on all the time and effort you're putting into this.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

mekilljoydammit posted:

These ones are 41/44mm; there's a 25.5/29mm version, and PNs for left and right leading or trailing for both piston configs. They're solely for 1.25" wide rotors and are about Wilwood Superlite size. Not so obvious neat feature is that they use PFC's fancy insulated piston noses - two piece piston with a polyimide insulator between them to slow heat transfer into the brake fluid.

Now that is interesting, do they also share the same mounting configuration as the Superlite?

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

BlackMK4 posted:

Now that is interesting, do they also share the same mounting configuration as the Superlite?

The radial to lug mount adapters on mine are literally Wilwood parts if you look closely enough.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

wankel13b posted:

I know nothing about laying up fiberglass but could you do it with the macro metal flake like on bass boats and dune buggies?

Good job on all the time and effort you're putting into this.

Oh yeah... unfortunately all the metal flake systems are polyester as opposed to epoxy, much less prepreg... so I could if I wanted to do heavier, floppier, harder to work with bodywork, but not with prepreg carbon fiber.

Which is kind of a shame. I have a general paint scheme in mind with a few stripes of color on top of bare carbon in places.... metal flake would have been hilarious.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

You can add metal flake to clear coat. CF still needs UV protection, right.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Aaaaand, last bits for the welder outlet are here, and now I have a first batch of steel ordered. Excited as hell!

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Nice! Starting with basic frame stuff?

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Yeah, god knows there's plenty of that to do.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Almost welding time, that's when it gets real :science: Look forward to this starting to come together. How many CAD versions and revisions are you up to now?

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

I'm up to Mk14 but most of the major details were sorted out by Mk8 and it just fell down to trying minor variations to try to optimize stiffness per weight, and the latest Mk is just trying a rear suspension variant. I just have wanted to be able to put a signpost down each time I had a new idea in case it didn't work out.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

And now the fun begins!

(well soon, I still need a couple things to finish wiring my welder circuit)

pr0craztinazn
Feb 24, 2006
:stoked:

This is going to be very fun to watch you assemble.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

I'll take update photos whenever I remember to; I still have a few more days of "preparing the workspace"

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Maybe not the sexiest thing, but got cross-tubes for the chassis table cut out. Just need to get some stick electrodes and some grinding consumables and will have that done, nice and flat and sturdy.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

I wish I had enough garage for a frame table. Looking good so far.

Got some kind of datum baked in to measure from?

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Sort of! The tubes are going to be at 2' spacing as close to dead nuts as practical, and I'm going to paint/scribe a centerline afterwards... most of the actual chassis squaring within the plane is going to be to various datums that I can measure on their own, if that makes any sense.

I'll take pics of setup stuff as I go - I think some people might appreciate ideas I have on how to do this stuff accurately.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Yeah that makes sense, and very much intereted in how you'll do it. What I'm working on now is a best path to track car based on time, budget, and skill, but I'd love to make something that's a truly dedicated race car in the future.