Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

That was a fun trip, was even more fun carefully lowing that thing from a loading dock.

Look forward to things starting to come together.

If COVID is under control next season I'll come up for a race weekend at BIR, RA, Gingerman or wherever.

NitroSpazzz fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Nov 5, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

mekilljoydammit posted:

Furthermore I figure that a lot of things should be adjustable without affecting other things. I'm in the process of designing front uprights right now, but things like... lower pivot movable vertically by shims to change roll center if desired. Upper pivot connected to the upright via shims (maybe copying Porsche LCA shims for this) so that camber can be changed repeatably without affecting toe or even kingpin inclination. And upper link on the rear suspension (going 3 link) is adjustable vertically to affect anti-squat.

This would be so nice. Change one thing and not have to go fix all the other things that changed. I had to add a full degree of camber going from slicks to treaded and it of course messed everything else up. I'm still very new at fully adjustable suspension so it took me most of a day to make the adjustments needed on all four corners then re-corner balance the car.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

That is a really clever way to get around packaging issues.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

That tubing notcher is a lot simpler than I pictured, since you already have the drawing with tube lengths and cuts it seems well worth it. I remember finding some shop years ago that would take a drawing and do all the cuts and bends then send you everything on a pallet. Even if you need to clean up all the cuts you'll be saving a lot of time. Heck being near Road America and a lot of racing you might be able to do it as a side gig to help offset your build cost, I'd think there's enough people interested in building cages that don't have the bending and notching equipment available.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

So you'll have live tire pressure readings, are you going to do IR temp across the tread as well? I've always thought a live tire temp would be neat to watch and really help you dial in alignment.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

I might have missed it but what are you using to scan those in?

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Almost welding time, that's when it gets real :science: Look forward to this starting to come together. How many CAD versions and revisions are you up to now?

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

I'd be really interested to see how you keep everything accurate within multiple planes on a big work surface. It's been more than a decade since I tried to take something from CAD to reality. I always look at tube frame cars in kind of amazement that someone can design something then take a pile of steel tubes and turn it into a race car. Meanwhile I struggle to turn a similar pile into a simulator cockpit when all I have to do is tack weld things onto an existing structure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

mekilljoydammit posted:

Well, they don't have anyone qualified to use it in the factory so I've got a bit but... I'd much rather just bang out a bunch of stuff on Thanksgiving week when nobody much is around anyway than risk it going away.

It might not simply because we kinda don't trust the QC reports the factory gives us with calipers so this would just be more data we don't trust... but that's not my call.

Ah Thanksgiving week in Wisconsin when everyone is out hunting, good time to get stuff done without being bothered.