Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

casque
Mar 17, 2009

mekilljoydammit posted:

loving Mk15... but the latest changes do a lot for stiffness at a total penalty of like, 3 pounds. And no, it doesn't require any changes to the stuff I already have welded.

Going to work on front suspension parts next because it's a fun change of pace. Oh, and plasma cut stuff for rear end will be done Real Soon Now.

What sort of steel are you using for this chassis? I'm curious about the type, OD and wall thickness for something like this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

casque
Mar 17, 2009

mekilljoydammit posted:

So the safety structure is required to be minimum of 1.5x0.095" DOM mild steel. So it is. The rest is 1.5x0.065.

Thanks! Is there a reason cromoly, like 4130, isn't used?

Also, what filler are you using, something like ER70S-2?

casque
Mar 17, 2009

mekilljoydammit posted:

Basically I'm stiffness limited not strength limited - 4130 normalized would get a touch more ultimate tensile strength (not a limiting factor) no extra stiffness, potential pitfalls with welding, and twice the cost.

Edit: that's true for the chassis though - suspension uprights will be 4130 and then heat treated.

And yeah, 70S2.

Thanks, this is a really cool project you've got going. What are the pitfalls of welding 4130?

casque
Mar 17, 2009
Rubbing is racing.