Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IT BEGINS
Jan 15, 2009

I don't know how to make analogies
I'd love to say I had a better one but I don't at the moment. Big thanks for creating this - the old thread was a really useful source for me, and I'm sure a ton of others on the forum.

These two are in the old thread, but I think they are worth adding to the top here:

ShadowCatboy's OP on debating diplomatically"
Study - studies are worthless when it comes to changing someone's opinion

I think these are even more important in this time, particularly if you're trying to figure out how to get through to your Facebook-spamming parents or friends-you-know-believe-some-really-bad-poo poo-but-you-want-to-keep-the-friendship.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IT BEGINS
Jan 15, 2009

Discriminatory Effects of Credit Scoring on Communities of Color

^ re: Racism, and how communities of color get screwed on mortgages and loans. Also covers some of the 2008 context, where communities of color were more likely to be targeted for sub-prime loans. It's not very long, but gives a lot of details about systemic racism.

I'm going to trawl through some of the forums and see what other articles/studies are regularly referenced.

IT BEGINS
Jan 15, 2009

Universal Basic Income

A hot-button topic. Unfortunately, there's not a massive amount of research on this one - many studies are ongoing. A lot of the arguments for/against seem to be philosophical in nature: one side arguing "giving people money dis-incentivizes work (people are lazy)" vs. "people inherently want to work, regardless of financial status (people are capitalists)".

Actual Studies

This Alaska UBI study found that UBI had no effect on employment. Study was done by an NBER fellow - an independent non-partisan org that is generally well-respected, if small.

This Barcelona UBI study found a small decrease in employment, but only in the 'active groups' - groups that had to take part in some activities to get the benefit, which the study writers suspect impacted their ability to look for employment. Results were only significant in some groups, but not all. Study was funded by many groups, which includes the Spain government and groups like the European Regional Development Fund.

The Finland Basic Income experiment found improved perceptions of well-being and mental health, while reporting no significant effects on employment. The study also showed small benefits in mental health and perception of well-being. The study's main flaw is that after year 1, a change in other monetary policies confounded further analysis of employment. Study was funded largely by the Finnish government.

Other Resources

The 2019 NBER analysis of UBI in the US and other countries is a meta-analysis of other UBI studies. It concludes that a 'pure' UBI would be extremely expensive, on the order of twice the cost of all other current social 'redistribution' programs in the US. It would also be regressive, if it meant replacing all existing anti-poverty programs, rather than supplementing them. This is the one to read if you want an in-depth look, and the citations link to other extremely relevant research.

The above analysis also covers some other relevant talking points, and describes what research there is (often little) on it - for example, arguments have been made that the decline in labor supply from UBI will be largely small and temporary, that it would reduce the stigma of assistance program participation and allow freer career decisions. However, all of these need further study.

This 2020 Stanford meta-analysis of other studies is another relevant point, and summarizes the current findings. Take-aways are that there are significant research gaps in evaluating a truly universal, sustained UBI. Most findings show labor effects are minimal, while health and education outcomes improve. They also suggest that other social programs, similar to UBI, should be further researched - there is little attention on the impacts of broader social and fiscal policy.

IT BEGINS fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Nov 9, 2020