Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
Sort of related to the main thread topic: I'm looking for a book that gives an overview of major world religions from an 'overall neutral' point of view for a kid, and am coming up with approximately jack poo poo.

What I'm looking for is a book that doesn't just go over the basics of their beliefs and nicer-sounding bits -- there's a bunch of those around -- but also is unafraid to point out times in history when people did horrific things in the name of their religion, or to critique when a faith's tenets make little sense on the surface. I'm fine with my son learning the positive and neutral aspects of religions, but the negative shouldn't be omitted. I guess most "children's books" authors probably don't want to risk offending someone, or feel that religious critique is inappropriate for kids, but maybe a goon has heard of something out there?

Like, it's common to have strict gender roles/gender-based oppression in religions; I'd like a book that's unafraid to, at the very least, point this out, even if it doesn't go on a full blown rant about it. Something like, "X religion has a strict male-only leadership, which many feel is out of step in modern times" or whatever, something that is at least enough to give food for thought, or start a longer conversation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU