Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Its Coke
Oct 29, 2018
You're no doubt familiar with the western colonialist idea that height is affected by gender. "Men are taller than women" is something white dudes have been saying for centuries with the kind of confidence and lack of pushback that only they are privileged to have. When they say something, it's automatically accepted as common sense, natural. But what if I told you it's scientifically baseless?

The first formal surveys of height happened in the 19th century (when they still believed phrenology was a science. Coincidence?) and the inch wasn't a perfectly standardized unit until 1933. When you combine that with the fact that everyone's height was increasing before then, you can pretty much throw out every earlier measurement as useless.

But what about today? Modern measurements have found that the heights of men and women span exactly the same range, from dwarfism to over 8 feet tall. And our heights are constantly changing due to things like sitting, shoes, or being on a slope. There are some studies that suggest men are taller on average than women, but most of them were conducted by white men, and the famous survey that concluded men were taller 1978 (Kleiner & Freeman) was found to have a massively flawed methodology.

So there's no basis, other than patriarchy, for saying there is a height difference based on gender. If that sounds counter-intuitive to you, you need to do some internal work to rid yourself of your unconscious learned bias.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Its Coke
Oct 29, 2018

Carmant posted:

I'm 5'8. In between man and woman but closer to woman. Which makes me bisexual leaning towards being a woman? I think I have that right.

the gayest guy I know is like 5'6

Its Coke
Oct 29, 2018

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

Not caught up on the academic research yet to decide whether to gas thread and ban OP

Here's the Kleiner/Freeman study