Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

I look forward to playing with stable servers tomorrow!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

frajaq posted:

I look forward to playing with stable servers tomorrow!

:allears:

We can only hope.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
drat dude I fuckin love Paul

https://twitter.com/paultassi/status/1495766177284505612?s=21

edit: lmao he is getting roasted about his lawn in the comments because Destiny is 90% dads

Bust Rodd fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Feb 21, 2022

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
So I got Beyond Light last week and went through the campaign of it on one character, there's no real reason for me to try and smash out any more of it before the new thing comes out tomorrow is there? All the power level of everything on all my characters is going to go up to 1350 or whatever anyway and most of what is worth caring about is still going to be around to do in any case?

Doing the campaign on the other two character to even unlock stasis is going to be a bit of a pain in the rear end if those subclasses are really powerful and it seems like to make them fully featured I'll have to do a really long questline on each character. I guess void will be the focus though so maybe I can go without stasis in the immediate future and work on it slowly in conjunction with new stuff if I really get in deep with this expansion and the season.

Also, I got an exotic cipher and it says you can only have one at a time but to spend it at the various places I looked (on an old exotic is what they seem to be for) I have to have two ascendant shards and buying those seems to be very expensive. If I get another exotic cipher will it just hang in my postmaster or are they things you have to claim so it just won't let me claim it until the one I have now is gone?

thebardyspoon fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Feb 21, 2022

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
Hot take: in terms of content added Curse of Osiris was honestly not bad, it just had to follow launch Destiny 2 and no amount of effort in the span of four months could make up for its shortcomings.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Pirate Jet posted:

Hot take: in terms of content added Curse of Osiris was honestly not bad, it just had to follow launch Destiny 2 and no amount of effort in the span of four months could make up for its shortcomings.

Forcing us to wander through the infinite forest a thousand times was honestly really bad.

Also the no sparrows issue in the patrol zone that took them around three years to fix.

Also only a single public event during an era of the game where one actually did public events a lot.

Elerion
May 31, 2011

thebardyspoon posted:

So I got Beyond Light last week and went through the campaign of it on one character, there's no real reason for me to try and smash out any more of it before the new thing comes out tomorrow is there? All the power level of everything on all my characters is going to go up to 1350 or whatever anyway and most of what is worth caring about is still going to be around to do in any case? Doing the campaign on the other two character to even unlock stasis is going to be a bit of a pain in the rear end if those subclasses are really powerful and it seems like to make them fully featured I'll have to do a really long questline on each character. I guess void will be the focus though so maybe I can go without stasis in the immediate future and work on it slowly in conjunction with new stuff if I really get in deep with this expansion and the season.

Anything related to light levels or vendor reputation will be a waste due to the reset tomorrow, and you won't miss out on anything if you log off now. However if you want to play, there's still a ton of things you can do right now which will have value. You can progress exotic quests (like The Lament), do your weeklies for Stasis Fragments if you haven't unlocked all of them (from the Exo Stranger), do a bunch of bounties and hold them until tomorrow to turn them in for XP then, just clean your vault and ready your inventory, and much more.

Oh yeah, do the Cocoon quest (season of the lost introduction) and then the Exorcism quest (season of the lost conclusion) if you haven't already. They are both going away tomorrow and set the scene for Witch Queen.

You could theoretically also do the entire Forsaken campaign since it is going away tomorrow, but that's like 5 hours.

Elerion fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Feb 21, 2022

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

xzzy posted:

Forcing us to wander through the infinite forest a thousand times was honestly really bad.

This.

Garden World was actually a fun strike in a cool environment with great enemy density, but stapling on 8 minutes of generated platforms with random trash mobs made it a complete slog

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

So as someone coming back in for Witch Queen, is there any value in me getting this Anniversary Pack? Do I need to get Beyond Light to play Witch Queen?

Roctavian
Feb 23, 2011

thebardyspoon posted:

Also, I got an exotic cipher and it says you can only have one at a time but to spend it at the various places I looked (on an old exotic is what they seem to be for) I have to have two ascendant shards and buying those seems to be very expensive. If I get another exotic cipher will it just hang in my postmaster or are they things you have to claim so it just won't let me claim it until the one I have now is gone?

There shouldn't be any surprise ciphers from anywhere -- it'll show up on the season pass for next season, and you can leave it there until you wanna take it out. Or you can get one from Xur every / every other weekend by completing a quest, but again it won't really be a surprise.

Buying ascendant shards with other resources isn't very cost-effective, you can get them from higher difficulty activities (master/grandmaster nightfalls, master raids/dungeons, flawless trials of osiris). I used to think "wow I'm never going to get very many of them" and now it's more like "oh I guess I'll spend an hour running some master nightfalls to get a few golf balls" and IMO spend 'em if you got 'em. Unless you have an exotic piece of armor you desperately love and want to masterwork, which is 1) probably not super necessary for you at this stage and 2) is the most costly ascendant shard thing to do.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

So as someone coming back in for Witch Queen, is there any value in me getting this Anniversary Pack? Do I need to get Beyond Light to play Witch Queen?

Anniversary Pack has some nice cool weapons and a good dungeon (that rewards Artifice armor with extra slot at Master difficulty), but remains to be seen if these weapons are gonna get Origin Traits like all weapons in WQ are gonna get

Beyond Light has Stasis class that can be pretty fun, and also a really cool raid. But I guess you could wait a bit since they're doing Void 3.0, and as the year goes by they'll do Solar 3.0 and Arc 3.0

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

So here's a question: I never got around to doing the Ager's Scepter quest - is that going away tomorrow, or can I still get it eventually?

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

VanillaGorilla posted:

So here's a question: I never got around to doing the Ager's Scepter quest - is that going away tomorrow, or can I still get it eventually?

The quest is going away but you’ll be able to get the gun from the Monument to Lost Lights in the tower.

Tensokuu
May 21, 2010

Somehow, the boy just isn't very buoyant.
Kinda wish I had dropped back in a week or two earlier so I could have done VoG before the expansion drop. I guess all it means is once we finish the new raid I’ll need to do the new one + VoG + DSC so I’ll still have some rad content to go.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Pirate Jet posted:

Wisdom

We'd be lucky to get a season with 2 strikes, a raid, several story missions, a new planet, three adventures, more than a dozen new exotics, and a large handful of new Crucible maps

The year 1 sandbox was just so darn bad that none of the content mattered!

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Bust Rodd posted:

drat dude I fuckin love Paul

https://twitter.com/paultassi/status/1495766177284505612?s=21

edit: lmao he is getting roasted about his lawn in the comments because Destiny is 90% dads

https://twitter.com/warinkyos/status/1495713913907949571?s=21

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

^^^ That is fantastic.

haveblue posted:

I’m gonna shoot the mans
Controversial, wish you the best.

Collateral Damage posted:

The main drawback of DMT is the glacially slow reload, so I like Outlaw, Subsistence or Fourth Time's The Charm, depending on how you use it. But I keep a Vorpal roll as well.
https://www.light.gg/db/items/3654674561/dead-mans-tale/

This shows you the most popular rolls & combos. It kind of already has Feeding Frenzy built in which is crazy good for scouts in PvE, but I understand outlaw is better for PvP. AP and high impact rounds are also really nice.

E: I wonder how they're going to implement DMT and Hawkmoon at Xûr. Like is it just 'you can buy a reroll' or is it going to be the same roll for everyone, in which case you're going to have people mad they were away or busy with trials the week sqûidface had a smallbore / high-cal / outlaw DMT.

Bobby Deluxe fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Feb 21, 2022

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

Roctavian posted:

There shouldn't be any surprise ciphers from anywhere -- it'll show up on the season pass for next season, and you can leave it there until you wanna take it out. Or you can get one from Xur every / every other weekend by completing a quest, but again it won't really be a surprise.

Buying ascendant shards with other resources isn't very cost-effective, you can get them from higher difficulty activities (master/grandmaster nightfalls, master raids/dungeons, flawless trials of osiris). I used to think "wow I'm never going to get very many of them" and now it's more like "oh I guess I'll spend an hour running some master nightfalls to get a few golf balls" and IMO spend 'em if you got 'em. Unless you have an exotic piece of armor you desperately love and want to masterwork, which is 1) probably not super necessary for you at this stage and 2) is the most costly ascendant shard thing to do.

Cool, that's what I figured but googling stuff for this game is kinda weird these days since they've changed some stuff and it's hard to tell what's what so cheers for that.

I'll just jump in tomorrow or whenever the servers start working and start in the new stuff, if I'm ever at a loose end I'll work on the stasis stuff I guess. It seems alright for the titan which was just the class I chose to go through Beyond Light on. I remember enjoying all the void classes roughly equally so maybe I'll pick which class I'll do WQ on first randomly and see how the unlock process is.

Infected
Oct 17, 2012

Salt Incarnate

Bobby Deluxe posted:

E: I wonder how they're going to implement DMT and Hawkmoon at Xûr. Like is it just 'you can buy a reroll' or is it going to be the same roll for everyone, in which case you're going to have people mad they were away or busy with trials the week sqûidface had a smallbore / high-cal / outlaw DMT.

Pretty sure, they've said that it will be a specific roll that you can from Xur when he is around.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

thebardyspoon posted:

Cool, that's what I figured but googling stuff for this game is kinda weird these days since they've changed some stuff and it's hard to tell what's what so cheers for that.
Always append the month and year to any searches for d2 you try. Just adding the season isn't enough because of mid season patches.

The funniest one is that youtube still apparently hasn't clocked that when you search for tips for how to do vault of glass, you don't want videos from 7 years ago telling you to use icebreaker.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost
Even recent raids can be way out of date, I was watching Last Wish guides and some stuff was surprisingly outdated

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

https://twitter.com/PaulTassi/status/1495766177284505612?t=vJxxUvc3rPMTdd2_hoRUkg&s=19

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat

https://twitter.com/destiny_thememe/status/1495804951779553281?s=21
:colbert:

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug

thebardyspoon posted:

googling stuff for this game is kinda weird these days since they've changed some stuff and it's hard to tell what's what

Christ if that isn't the story of my last two months

Astrochicken
Aug 13, 2007

So you better go back to your bars, your temples
Your massage parlors!

Elerion posted:

It's Witch Queen launch day
When launching the game, you get matched into a 6-man assault on the Throne World
Kill 100 hive
Cut scene starts, gets skipped
You're in the Tower, Zavala lies dead on the floor

1: Assault on throne world : broken matchmaking : New game-breaking Telesto bug : Zavala dies. Zavala dies. Zavala dies : Contacting Destiny 2 servers.. : Ataxia : wailing : reddit complains : I used my PTO for this?

Cretin90
Apr 10, 2006
I just started playing D2 on Saturday and blitzed Forsaken yesterday with my fiancé at our friends urging since it’s about to be vaulted.

I still have no idea what’s going on, and I look forward to being even more confused tomorrow night after work.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Wisdom

We'd be lucky to get a season with 2 strikes, a raid, several story missions, a new planet, three adventures, more than a dozen new exotics, and a large handful of new Crucible maps

The year 1 sandbox was just so darn bad that none of the content mattered!

I think what annoyed people even though there was content was the no sparrow and 1 public event thing, but also that the 2 strikes were basically re-works of the story mission and the Panopeles fight was the most basic poo poo in history. The world engine lair was kind of cool and it did give us Wormhaven, Pacifica and Radiant Cliffs, even if Wormhaven is a terrible map.

The infinite forge was actually kind of cool though despite most of the weapons being kind of useless and at least gave players something to do after everyone on their friends list left to go and play fortnite. It amounted to mostly having to go and fetch planetary materials but my JQK3 is still in my vault.

Tensokuu
May 21, 2010

So what are ya'll thinking -- will old legendaries drop weapon crafting materials tomorrow, or should I do my deep vault clean tonight?

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

Tensokuu posted:

So what are ya'll thinking -- will old legendaries drop weapon crafting materials tomorrow, or should I do my deep vault clean tonight?

at minimum dismantling legendaries will level gunsmith up now. Not a huge deal in the long run though.

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat

Tensokuu posted:

Who knows about crafting mats, but do it tomorrow for banshee rep.

Horsebanger
Jun 25, 2009

Steering wheel! Hey! Steering wheel! Someone tell him to give it to me!
Unless you really need the space, leave your vault for WQ to dismantle.

I've used Dim and d2checklist to tag gear to junk, and tomorrow will be my

Tensokuu
May 21, 2010

Yeah that's totally fair and I hadn't thought of that.

I also used the destiny recipe's site and DIM to lock all my good stuff and unlock all my garbage stuff; just not looking forward to spending my first 40 minutes of playtime just making purple shards.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

Tensokuu posted:

Yeah that's totally fair and I hadn't thought of that.

I also used the destiny recipe's site and DIM to lock all my good stuff and unlock all my garbage stuff; just not looking forward to spending my first 40 minutes of playtime just making purple shards.

then dont

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

BlindSite posted:

I think what annoyed people even though there was content was the no sparrow and 1 public event thing, but also that the 2 strikes were basically re-works of the story mission and the Panopeles fight was the most basic poo poo in history. The world engine lair was kind of cool and it did give us Wormhaven, Pacifica and Radiant Cliffs, even if Wormhaven is a terrible map.

The infinite forge was actually kind of cool though despite most of the weapons being kind of useless and at least gave players something to do after everyone on their friends list left to go and play fortnite. It amounted to mostly having to go and fetch planetary materials but my JQK3 is still in my vault.

"Let us replay the campaign" is like the top Destiny request so it's a no brainer to put 'em in as strikes.

But I gotta check my biases here, I'm not a big campaign & strikes guy, and I literally never, EVER log on to crush patrols or bang out lost sectors so it really didn't bother me that Mercury was a lame place to explore.

It also gave us Telesto so it's in the top 5 seasons for sure

Let people do what they want, Karen

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Hoo boy. Got my titan in his special Campaign Beating Gear, deleted about 100 items, loaded up all 30 engram slots with Trials Engrams, and said goodbye to Destiny for the night.

I hope it's good and that the launch is at not-poo poo-showy as possible!!

life_source
May 11, 2008

i got tired of looking at your edgy baby avatar that a 14-year old would be proud of
Just spent 4 hours straight playing Iron Banner grinding out the awful ability bounty and clearing out the last 7 Crucible Threader bounties because that apparently reset with the Anniversary update.

I don't think I'm going to play Destiny at all next week.

Josherino
Mar 24, 2021

about to pick up Witch Queen, but I'm not looking forward to soloing another expansion - any groups available?

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

"Let us replay the campaign" is like the top Destiny request so it's a no brainer to put 'em in as strikes.

But I gotta check my biases here, I'm not a big campaign & strikes guy, and I literally never, EVER log on to crush patrols or bang out lost sectors so it really didn't bother me that Mercury was a lame place to explore.

It also gave us Telesto so it's in the top 5 seasons for sure

Let people do what they want, Karen

The campaigns not being replayable is a little strange for tyool 2022 I'll grant you, and I agree sometimes going back through campaign areas in a strike isn't bad because it does have that "oh yeah I remember that" recipe but at the time, I think people were annoyed at playing through the campaign in a few hours and then running the strikes featuring the same PITA area in both of them.

Campaign is usually something I'll do day one with a friend of two and I look forward to them for nothing else other than a chance to relax on a wednesday and have a few afternoon beers instead of working and I'll do strikes occasionally for the weekly power or doing some bounties but by about week 3 of an expansion I won't touch them again - so I get it.

I think their biggest development mistake has been a distinct lack of maps in PVP in a long, long time and their best foot forward is to drip feed 2 reworked maps that everyone hates. I get with the speed of play now they can't just bring back some d1 maps and that's fair enough too, but the PVP in the game despite the hate and criticism it gets really does carry their player numbers in the dog days. The sand box is in a better place compared to some iterations of destiny, the match making has been OK for the most part and despite them loving with a good recipe they have trials on an OK path (they really should just stick with the week one recipe they had this season though.

I now their devs are demonstrably bad when it comes to PVP but they really could garner a lot of goodwill and retention with some minor things like a couple of new maps.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

BlindSite posted:

I think their biggest development mistake has been a distinct lack of maps in PVP in a long, long time and their best foot forward is to drip feed 2 reworked maps that everyone hates. I get with the speed of play now they can't just bring back some d1 maps and that's fair enough too, but the PVP in the game despite the hate and criticism it gets really does carry their player numbers in the dog days. The sand box is in a better place compared to some iterations of destiny, the match making has been OK for the most part and despite them loving with a good recipe they have trials on an OK path (they really should just stick with the week one recipe they had this season though.

I now their devs are demonstrably bad when it comes to PVP but they really could garner a lot of goodwill and retention with some minor things like a couple of new maps.

Oh dude for sure, all of this 100%

The sandbox, weapons, abilities, etc., all these aspects are in a GREAT spot for PvP right now

Which is why it's insanely weird that they can't just add more maps? With how much effort they're giving to the sandbox as a whole it seems like they should be dropping 1-4 new and returning maps per season...

Also new modes that don't suck a fat one. Bring back Rift, bring back Supremacy, don't make me choose between Survival and Control all the time

(I suspect Countdown is coming back next season)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Horsebanger
Jun 25, 2009

Steering wheel! Hey! Steering wheel! Someone tell him to give it to me!

Josherino posted:

about to pick up Witch Queen, but I'm not looking forward to soloing another expansion - any groups available?

https://discord.gg/srsoc

Come hang out in d2-general and lfg in d2-lfg-botzone