Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

The simple answer to this is that the alternative is worse, not much else. Accelerationism isn’t real and letting monsters like Mccormick take office is going to hurt a lot of people in PA and beyond.

The problem with the "you have two choices and one is better than the other" argument is that it's not true.

There are, in fact, other simple alternatives. Taking the money you'd spend on gas getting to the voting location and giving it to a random person on the street is unironically a bigger net good. Or spending the time you would have spent voting calling your grandma and saying hello. There are many small things someone could do that have a bigger positive impact on the world.

You're basically talking about actions that are about as close to meaningless as actions can get. It just doesn't seem that way because humans are bad with big numbers and probability, so they're inclined to assign the full impact of a politician's actions to a single person voting .

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

2fat4sex posted:

PA has mail-in ballots for anyone who requests them. The Republicans have been whinging about it since 2020 went the wrong way for Trump and are trying to get it killed in a 2023 ballot initiative. Who the gently caress knows if that will pass, nobody votes in odd year elections.

All I have to do to vote for now is fill out a ballot that's mailed to me and put that in the outgoing mail slot. If it was any more effort than that I wouldn't even bother.

My perspective is that I don't really care if someone feels like voting (since it doesn't really make sense to think "voting doesn't matter" and then get mad at people for voting). It only annoys me when people actively try to persuade others about its importance.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Oz: "I'll smell it in a second and audit you"

Woman: "It's terrible. It's repulsive actually."
Oz: "May I?"

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Nonsense posted:

Jeb is an evil charter school enabling piece of poo poo

He's a god drat hero you son of a bitch

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

GalacticAcid posted:

I mean yes US electoral politics are bad but him beating the tee vee snake oil salesman would be a good thing full stop. no need to overthink it

It's possible for two things to both be bad. You don't have to choose sides in every random competition you witness.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I think it's fine to want Oz to lose for the same reason you might want any guy you dislike to get owned; I just wouldn't call it "definitely good"

(National) Senators are particularly pointless. There's a much better argument for state government politicians having relevance to people, since that's where Republicans do 99% of the bad stuff that is actually worse than what Democrats do. The lesser evil argument for national-level Democrats is even weaker now that they seem to be the ones most fully embracing neocon foreign policy these days.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Laughing so hard at that Fetterman clip

"I celebrate the demise of Roe v. Wade"

The word "demise" is what does it for me

Edit: The only thing better from recent years I can think of is the thing where Biden suddenly started rambling about climbing mountains with Xi Jinping. That's still the GOAT of "Dem politician with their brains melting on stage" events.

Ytlaya has issued a correction as of 02:01 on Nov 7, 2022

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

F Stop Fitzgerald posted:

my favorite is still "America is a nation that can be defined in a single word"

That's the same quote! He goes into the Xi Jinping stuff after that (it's part of what makes it so funny - you think the "defined one word - abluhbluhbluh" is the only funny part, but then the he suddenly starts talking about going 17,000 miles in the Himalayas with Xi Jinping.

That and Trump's RBG quote are hands down the funniest things to happen in at least the last few years.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

John...

F Stop Fitzgerald posted:

lol i forgot that was the same day. the perfect speech.

Not just the same day, it immediately following the "defined in one word" part.

this comment lol (there are actually a number in this vein)

quote:

Trump can say a lot of distasteful things, and doesn't know when to just be silent sometimes but in this moment he was sincere ans you could just feel his sense of "we need to bridge the divide" was genuine and raw. What he said was actually a beautiful heartfelt message.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I like how the dumbass who made this thread had "Harvard educated" as a plus

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

uber_stoat posted:

John Fetterman once took a poo poo so big, he wielded it like a club and slew a coyote that tried to eat his son.

Impressive

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Some Guy TT posted:

i should drink some tequila whats a good mixer for it

Milk

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I never supported Fetterman!

I did support Bernie though, so I guess I'm not that much better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Is lab-grown meat finally actually becoming more commercially viable? That'd be legitimately cool if so.