Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CocoaNuts
Jun 12, 2020
On the ol' 1 to 10 scale, with 1 being "How soon is the next election so we can find another candidate?" and 10 being "I'm pulsating with excitement and I can smell Joe's hair from here."

I'm at a 5. Biden is light years better than Trump but I would have been much more enthusiastic if we had President Elizabeth Warren or even President Pete Buttigieg.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

I'm loving relieved. Biden isn't even close to my ideal candidate but I'll happily accept him as a breathing space. He's basically like learning that your stage three or four cancer has suddenly gone into complete remission.

Dumper Humper
Jul 15, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

I'm loving relieved. Biden isn't even close to my ideal candidate but I'll happily accept him as a breathing space.

Yeah I love when my breathing space is more crushing austerity that I can't survive. It rules. Really breathing easily as my material conditions don't change at all.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Dumper Humper posted:

Yeah I love when my breathing space is more crushing austerity that I can't survive. It rules. Really breathing easily as my material conditions don't change at all.

Would you rather have four more years of Donald Trump? Because that was the choice.

I'll take a slowly tightening noose around my neck over a bullet to the brain. You might be able to wriggle out of one of them.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

im hard as a fuckin rock for joe!!

Would you rather have four more years of Donald Trump? Because that was the choice.

I'll take a slowly tightening noose around my neck over a bullet to the brain. You might be able to wriggle out of one of them.

oh wait, he's just asphyxiating me slowly with a necktie

Fuligin fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Nov 8, 2020

Dumper Humper
Jul 15, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

The noose has been tightening for years, and Joe helped tie the knot.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

I'll take a slowly tightening noose around my neck

And rate it a 10/10 experience, apparently. Congrats on having low standards?

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

Seeing how long it takes folks to realize that he does nothing to them will be vaguely entertaining, in an extremely dark 'watch people eat slugs', 'feeling total self-disgust' sort of way.

2022 and 2024 stand to be fascinating trainwrecks, as well.

StratGoatCom fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Nov 8, 2020

Dumper Humper
Jul 15, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

WampaLord posted:

High fiving the guy who helped tie the knot as the trap door opens.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary
6.5 Maaaybe 7. I'll see how this shakes out in the first few weeks of February

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

He is better than Trump on issues like corruption and nepotism but I have zero faith in him or Harris actually implementing any Leftist policies that he talked about without or without a Senate/House majority.

Policy-wise, both domestic and foreign, I'm expecting more Obama-ish style neoliberal bullshit status quo.

Which is a real step up from Trump but not the reform we actually need to make things better for everyone here.

I'm somewhat pessimistic for the 2022 mid terms and much more so for the 2024 elections because of this. Even with the demographics shift favoring D's a fair amount by then they can still lose big time if they don't demonstrate they can actually improve people's lives. More on this here:

https://centerforpolitics.org/crystalball/articles/the-future-shape-of-the-senate/

Emerson Cod
Apr 14, 2004

by Pragmatica

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

I think he's not gonna be able to get a lot done, and he's basically a republican. But it's a hell of a lot better than the alternative.

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

6. I don’t think I ever understood how impactful the entire executive branch was until Trump hosed it all up. Not being afraid of unmarked federal troops in the streets of our biggest cities, not wondering if the President and AG are actively stymieing investigations into white nationalist terror groups, and not seeing millions of tax payer dollars being steered towards businesses owned by the president, his family and the cabinet... it all means a lot.

However, I know Mitch will stop any positive change from happening legislatively, and I think he’s going to block all judges again, including if Breyer retires.

Also, I know someone who works in financial regulation, and I guess Biden’s appointing some guy to oversee Wall St regulation that has Wall St making GBS threads their pants. No one I’ve heard of, and I can’t remember the guy’s name, but apparently Biden’s signaling that he’s not going to be as go-along-to-get-along as Wall St was hoping he’d be.

We’ll see.

Roluth
Apr 22, 2014

Eh, 5. I 100% appreciate Trump being out, but I'm bit wary of the Democrats settling back into complacence again. I'll give Biden one chance to propose a decent first 100 days, even without the Senate. If he legitimately does that $50k student debt forgiveness from that rumor going around, I'd be more positive about him.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
7.5, I guess. More relieved than excited.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

WampaLord posted:

Dumper Humper posted:

The noose has been tightening for years, and Joe helped tie the knot.

Fuligin posted:

im hard as a fuckin rock for joe!!

oh wait, he's just asphyxiating me slowly with a necktie

None of you have any loving idea.

Dumper Humper
Jul 15, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

I'm disabled, trans, and poor, I'm pretty sure none of that started in the last four years. I'm incredibly aware of how precarious my life has been since the first Obama term.

Joe Biden was an architect of the Iraq war, Joe Biden is the reason you can't discharge student loans in bankruptcy, Joe Biden was the vice president of the united states and negotiating with Republicans above and beyond the conessions Dems had already made, Joe Biden thinks we should just tell cops to shoot for the leg. The problems existed before 2020, and Joe Biden either helped create them or has no plan for fixing any of them.

Dumper Humper fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Nov 8, 2020

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible

Roluth posted:

Eh, 5. I 100% appreciate Trump being out, but I'm bit wary of the Democrats settling back into complacence again. I'll give Biden one chance to propose a decent first 100 days, even without the Senate. If he legitimately does that $50k student debt forgiveness from that rumor going around, I'd be more positive about him.

The bloodbath that took place down ballot will prevent any complacency.

If the polls held up and the Democrats were looking at 52 seats in the Senate, Schumer probably doesn’t have the sudden desire to cancel student debt through Executive Order. The Democrats know they need to get results, whether it’s Executive Orders, or bills passed in the House that they can blame McConnell for 24/7. Have a whole bunch of carrots dangling in front of the electorate in 2022 that are awaiting a Democratic senate, and then hopefully win the Senate, and then use that to set up for 2024.

Budzilla
Oct 14, 2007

We can all learn from our past mistakes.

I would be 'ho-hum' but Donald loving Trump was the president and that makes me excited and somewhat relieved that we have someone else in charge soon. Maybe some honest to God progressive reforms will go through. Much better chance now than a week ago.

So 6/10

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007
Considering how many Central and South Americans are gonna be facing coups, not much. 1-2.

Nucleic Acids fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Nov 8, 2020

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Rated purely on his own merits rather than "in comparison to Donald Trump", 1.

There's going to be a lot of complacent smugness about "things going back to normal" without addressing any of the underlying socioeconomic causes for part of the electorate turning to such a miserable human as Trump. Probably a lot of holding Biden to a comically low standard as well: at least he's respecting our precious norms.

Meanwhile his foreign policy will be garbage American imperialism and the rich will keep getting richer and the poor will keep being shat on.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

Dumper Humper posted:

Joe Biden was an architect of the Iraq war

While his vote and initial support for the Iraq War has been (and should be) roundly criticized, I object to the term "architect" as A) that implies the motherfuckers who were making decisions about the war had any actual plans for the invasion and occupation beyond "topple saddam, prove we can knock over whatever dictator we want, get fat oil contracts, GTFO," and B) it lets the people like Paul Wolfowitz and Donald Rumsfeld who were the driving forces towards getting us into Iraq off easy, when instead their names should be in every American textbook and also headlining war crimes tribunals, treason trials, and burning effigies in the town square of every american city.

Anyway I'd say I'm at a 5 or 6, cautiously optimistic, ready to be disappointed, but also deeply relieved the current administration is at an end.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo
Call it maybe a 6. I feel like America just took a huge, painful, exhausting poo poo and it's still going to take three months to get the toilet unclogged.

Rimusutera
Oct 17, 2014
I look forward to my friends potentially being shot in the leg, likely rupturing vital arteries, by police. Instead of somewhere dangerous, like their chest.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
10, it's Joe time

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

I'm a 7 now, would have been a 9 if Dems had gained control of the Senate.

Will re-evaluate after his first 100 days in office.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

:ironicat:

TheSpamalope
Dec 30, 2008

by sebmojo
Lipstick Apathy
I'm not even American and I'm relieved as hell.

As hell I say!!!!

TheSpamalope
Dec 30, 2008

by sebmojo
Lipstick Apathy
Voted 1

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I voted for this thread the same amount I am excited for joe "just slightly more cognizant than my making GBS threads-himself-with-alzheimers grandpa was" biden

not only did he outright say he's going to be useless even before the fact but you've got so many stupid assholes going "ah I can breathe a sigh of relief that I don't have to think about politics anymore" as if this does a single thing to fix anything rather than kick the can down the road not even half a decade. 2022 and 2024 are going to be hilarious assuming we just don't outright have a rebellion before that

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

7-8, I'm hedging that the federal agencies that Trump was demolishing will have a couple years at least of pent-up staff excitement/gusto and not take things for granted.

Box wine
Apr 6, 2005

ah crap
5/10

It depends on a lot on healthcare for me. I'll be watching the cabinet appointments myself. I'm only at 5/10 because healthcare took a big back seat it felt to me this election.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Bernie would have won though, if Obungler hadn’t made those calls

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Also if you don’t think the Dem leadership and the entirety of the mainstream liberal press will immediately pivot to Make America 1996 Again Eisenhower Republicanism, LOL. Warren and Warrenism is going to be the loser of this election by far

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

2. I first became politically awakened during the Iraq War years and will never forget that Biden is a war criminal. I feel relieved that Trump is out but feel absolutely nothing but dread at Biden coming into the presidency. I'm worried about more coups, sanctions and other foreign interventions that are going to be very harmful that he will likely carry out.

biceps crimes fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Nov 8, 2020

jarofpiss
May 16, 2009

I'm loving relieved. Biden isn't even close to my ideal candidate but I'll happily accept him as a breathing space. He's basically like learning that your stage three or four cancer has suddenly gone into complete remission.

complete remission you say?

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
I'll call it a tentative 7. He was never my first choice, but at least he's acquainted with reality, and will probably fully staff the government. I'll see how I feel on the 100th day.

Call Your Grandma
Jan 17, 2010

honestly if you're life doesn't become beautifully uplifting the day Biden sits in the Oval Office you really need to stop thinking about your own privilege and focus on all the less fortunate that Joe and our First Black Woman President are going to better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dumper Humper
Jul 15, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Call Your Grandma posted:

honestly if you're life doesn't become beautifully uplifting the day Biden sits in the Oval Office you really need to stop thinking about your own privilege and focus on all the less fortunate that Joe and our First Black Woman President are going to better.

The massive privilege of being poor in America in 2020.