Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Oh come on, this is about as much hyperbole as you'd find in an SNL skit.

And at least 3x the humor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
3x 0 is still 0 though?

:smug:

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Worth noting then that posts like "everything is going to be great, it's like my cancer went into remission, 10/10" are also hyperbole. Nobody likes having sunshine blown up their rear end.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Fister Roboto posted:

Worth noting then that posts like "everything is going to be great, it's like my cancer went into remission, 10/10" are also hyperbole. Nobody likes having sunshine blown up their rear end.

No one is saying that afaict aside from an obvious joke post or two?

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Inverted Offensive Battle: Acupuncture Attacks Convert To 3D Penetration Tactics Taking Advantage of Deep Battle Opportunities

Fister Roboto posted:

That's very true. I think we should all endeavor to use hyperbole somewhat sparingly, no matter what we're arguing. Hyperbole, if used well, can make your argument more illustrative and vivid. I like this use of it, for example:

empty whippet box posted:

I am on the edge of my seat for the heroic roll out of the Biden Harris covid relief program which offers tax credits for patients who test positive three times in a hospital setting and can prove any treatments they received were due to covid and not any pre existing condition who open new businesses in historicallt disadvantaged communities within three months of recovering from covid-19. I am so excited. I am ready to build back better

Everyone who knows even a little bit about the subject of Democratic health care initiatives can see it's a slightly-over-the-top caricature of means-testing. Saying that Kamala Harris is TERF, on the other hand, is A, probably inaccurate, and B, distracts from the real problem with her, which is that her horrible record w/r/t trans inmates is part of a broader pattern of her throwing vulnerable groups under the bus for her own political advantage.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Fister Roboto posted:

While I would also discourage that, and while if you're trying to convince me this thread was a bad idea structurally you wouldn't have a difficult time, this is adjacent to a topic I've been putting way too much thought into. Consider the bellyfeel, and your desired moderation handling, of the following almost-no-content statements, responses to which are either more no-content or more effort than the poster put in:

- Bernie's Gonna Win positive statement that makes everyone feel happy and a lot of people agreed with at the time
- Biden's Gonna Win (in the primary) positive statement that makes almost everyone angry
- Bernie's Gonna Lose negative statement that makes everyone angry
- Biden's Gonna Win (in the general) positive statement that makes a lot of people angry

Bernie's Gonna Win is pointless fluff, and the bulk of the information it communicates is not actually the literal meaning of the words, but if it wasn't clogging up the thread overly I ignored it during primary season. The other three would obviously generate reports, angryposts, and a general reduction in forums experience quality. All four are probateable, but some are more probateable than others.

which is also a nice little microcosm demonstration of why moderation is hard

Majorian posted:

That's very true. I think we should all endeavor to use hyperbole somewhat sparingly, no matter what we're arguing. Hyperbole, if used well, can make your argument more illustrative and vivid. I like this use of it, for example:

Everyone who knows even a little bit about the subject of Democratic health care initiatives can see it's a slightly-over-the-top caricature of means-testing.

I do not agree about the constructiveness of that post, there's no such thing as a constructive disagreeing response to it. The closest you can come is something like "actually i think their coronavirus response will be good", either following up with either more factual-research predictive effort than whippet box offered, or just leaving at that. The second one makes whippet box angrier and contributes not much content to the thread, the first one makes the person putting forth the effort irritated that the exchange was extremely unequal. Obviously as a mod i would prefer to encourage no-effort-met-with-effort over no-effort-met-with-no-effort but I feel like there's a third moderation choice there.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Majorian posted:

Everyone who knows even a little bit about the subject of Democratic health care initiatives can see it's a slightly-over-the-top caricature of means-testing. Saying that Kamala Harris is TERF, on the other hand, is A, probably inaccurate, and B, distracts from the real problem with her, which is that her horrible record w/r/t trans inmates is part of a broader pattern of her throwing vulnerable groups under the bus for her own political advantage.

I agree. Kamala Harris doesn't hate trans women. She fundamentally lacks any respect for human life in general. :)

Here is some fact-based support for that position (I see you GJB)

quote:

Harris cheerfully recounts the story of sending an attorney from her office to intimidate a homeless single mother whose children were missing school. She smiles as she recalls how she instructed her subordinates to “look really mean” so that the mother would take the threat of jail seriously.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2019/jan/31/kamala-harris-laughed-jailing-parents-truancy

Kamala Harris laughed while recounting that great anecdote about the time she sent city attorneys to threaten a homeless woman with jail because she couldn't keep her kids in school. A human that respects the life and fundamental dignity of another human would not laugh at the memory of threatening a poverty-stricken, desperate woman with jail for failing to raise her children according to state-imposed standards without any support.

The Oldest Man fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Nov 11, 2020

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I'll be honest, all the NoJoes wailing that it's the end of the world Biden won and Trump didn't is making me more excited and hopeful for the new few years.

The senate isn't though.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Nov 11, 2020

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

RBA Starblade posted:

I'll be honest, all the NoJoes wailing that it's the end of the world Biden won and Trump didn't

Can you quote a NoJoe wailing that Trump didn't win while posting this, or is that too high a bar to clear before you make something up for sick dunks.

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

2 on the condition that popular media gets any better under a Biden presidency and finally stops being Trevor Noah types making woke points and mugging to the camera.

0 if the lack of Trump as something to get mad about returns us to the late Obama days when 90% of the discourse revolved around articles written by media people about the bad sex they had in their 20s.

Pentecoastal Elites fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Nov 11, 2020

Pussy Cartel
Jun 26, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

RBA Starblade posted:

I'll be honest, all the NoJoes wailing that it's the end of the world Biden won and Trump didn't is making me more excited and hopeful for the new few years.

The senate isn't though.

Not sure how constructive it is to frame minorities (like trans people in this very thread) expressing their very real worries as being them wanting Trump to win. Doing that and then gloating on top of it seems even less worthwhile for discussion, not to mention cruel for those of us who are worried about the future with good reason.

Pussy Cartel fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Nov 11, 2020

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

One thing I'm optimistic for with Biden is the disappearance of "wow, this archconservative ghoul called Trump a doodoo head (because he's doing fascism wrong), what a hero, welcome to the #resistance" kind of idiocy. Hopefully.

And just in general, Trump's removal might actually cause some people to realize that he's just a symptom of the disease. Over the last four years, a lot of people (myself included) finally opened their eyes to the massive problems in American society. But Trump made it so easy for everyone to blame those problems on him and only him. Maybe under Biden, people will see that's not the case.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Bernie's Gonna Win is pointless fluff, and the bulk of the information it communicates is not actually the literal meaning of the words, but if it wasn't clogging up the thread overly I ignored it during primary season. The other three would obviously generate reports, angryposts, and a general reduction in forums experience quality. All four are probateable, but some are more probateable than others.

which is also a nice little microcosm demonstration of why moderation is hard

The problem is that you're trying to find some objective standard to apply to something that is ultimately a matter of ideology/values. For example, it's very obvious that the "I'm looking forward to the left making progress under Biden!" posts are equally inflammatory to the "angrily mocking means testing" ones. I would go as far as arguing that posts like the ones you quoted are often in response to the optimistic ones - they're essentially the result of the former posts "making people angry." The same goes for some of the positive posts, which are obviously made with the knowledge that it'll upset the "NoJoes" and in response to their posts.

Basically there's a subjective rhetorical distinction between what is inflammatory (and how inflammatory it is) that doesn't actually correspond to the reality of how inflammatory they are or aren't. As you correctly mentioned yourself, this thread is essentially guaranteed to be inherently inflammatory, and IMO you're just going to make people more angry by attempting to limit "posts that make other people mad" in such a thread.

Fister Roboto posted:

One thing I'm optimistic for with Biden is the disappearance of "wow, this archconservative ghoul called Trump a doodoo head (because he's doing fascism wrong), what a hero, welcome to the #resistance" kind of idiocy. Hopefully.

And just in general, Trump's removal might actually cause some people to realize that he's just a symptom of the disease. Over the last four years, a lot of people (myself included) finally opened their eyes to the massive problems in American society. But Trump made it so easy for everyone to blame those problems on him and only him. Maybe under Biden, people will see that's not the case.

While it remains to be seen how things will end up, I think they might just be replaced by people defending Biden doing terrible things, which isn't really preferable to defending the anti-Trump neocons.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Ytlaya posted:

While it remains to be seen how things will end up, I think they might just be replaced by people defending Biden doing terrible things, which isn't really preferable to defending the anti-Trump neocons.

If he gives Kasich a cabinet post "defending Biden doing terrible things" and "defending anti-Trump neo-cons" do the fusion dance.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

RBA Starblade posted:

The senate isn't though.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

I super love to see how my distaste for a rapist and his constant making GBS threads on my desire for a modern health care system, and worry over how his trans-oppressing VP and her hive may affect my sister, are actually just sublimations of my desire to see Trump win. Eat my entire rear end, man.

Fister Roboto posted:

I'd like this to be the case, and there will certainly be a few more people cracking and pinging. But even putting aside lovely Democrats, the Biden orbit's already chattering about people like Kasich, Meg Whitman, Charlie Baker, and Jeff loving Flake getting cabinet spots. Plus the signaling about how not only Sanders but also Warren may get shut out of the administration, though granted it's pretty funny to think that Warren might get nothing in return for shanking Sanders. Does optimism at some point morph into willful delusion?

Jon Pod Van Damm
Apr 6, 2009

THE POSSESSION OF WEALTH IS IN AND OF ITSELF A SIGN OF POOR VIRTUE. AS SUCH:
1 NEVER TRUST ANY RICH PERSON.
2 NEVER HIRE ANY RICH PERSON.
BY RULE 1, IT IS APPROPRIATE TO PRESUME THAT ALL DEGREES AND CREDENTIALS HELD BY A WEALTHY PERSON ARE FRAUDULENT. THIS JUSTIFIES RULE 2--RULE 1 NEEDS NO JUSTIFIC

CocoaNuts posted:

On the ol' 1 to 10 scale, with 1 being "How soon is the next election so we can find another candidate?" and 10 being "I'm pulsating with excitement and I can smell Joe's hair from here."

I'm at a 5. Biden is light years better than Trump but I would have been much more enthusiastic if we had President Elizabeth Warren or even President Pete Buttigieg.

GreyjoyBastard posted:

dial down the preemptive fantasies about how much the libs will suck in various ludicrous ways
The 2000 presidential election was and is still not a fantasy. It happened. It was real. George W Bush became the president of the United States. The 2000 election was one of the three last republican presidential victories. 1/5th of the last 5 U.S. presidential elections were won by the republicans in 2000.

I disagree with your characterization of my post as ludicrous. It is based on recorded facts and recent history. You can not pretend the past did not happen.

Al Gore posted:

Good evening. Just moments ago I spoke with George W. Bush and congratulated him on becoming the 43rd president of the United States. And I promised him that I wouldn't call him back this time.

I offered to meet with him as soon as possible so that we can start to heal the divisions of the campaign and the contest through which we've just passed.

Almost a century and a half ago, Senator Stephen Douglas told Abraham Lincoln, who had just defeated him for the presidency, "Partisan feeling must yield to patriotism. I'm with you, Mr. President, and God bless you."

Well, in that same spirit, I say to President-elect Bush that what remains of partisan rancor must now be put aside, and may God bless his stewardship of this country. Neither he nor I anticipated this long and difficult road. Certainly neither of us wanted it to happen. Yet it came, and now it has ended, resolved, as it must be resolved, through the honored institutions of our democracy.

Over the library of one of our great law schools is inscribed the motto: "Not under man, but under God and law." That's the ruling principle of American freedom, the source of our democratic liberties. I've tried to make it my guide throughout this contest, as it has guided America's deliberations of all the complex issues of the past five weeks. Now the U.S. Supreme Court has spoken. Let there be no doubt, while I strongly disagree with the court's decision, I accept it. I accept the finality of this outcome, which will be ratified next Monday in the Electoral College. And tonight, for the sake of our unity as a people and the strength of our democracy, I offer my concession.

I also accept my responsibility, which I will discharge unconditionally, to honor the new president-elect and do everything possible to help him bring Americans together in fulfillment of the great vision that our Declaration of Independence defines and that our Constitution affirms and defends.

Let me say how grateful I am to all those who've supported me and supported the cause for which we have fought. Tipper and I feel a deep gratitude to Joe and Hadassah Lieberman, who brought passion and high purpose to our partnership, and opened new doors -- not just for our campaign, but for our country.

This has been an extraordinary election, but in one of God's unforeseen paths, this belatedly broken impasse can point us all to a new common ground, for its very closeness can serve to remind us that we are one people with a shared history and a shared destiny. Indeed, that history gives us many examples of contests as hotly debated, as fiercely fought, with their own challenges to the popular will. Other disputes have dragged on for weeks before reaching resolution, and each time, both the victor and the vanquished have accepted the result peacefully and in a spirit of reconciliation. So let it be with us.

I know that many of my supporters are disappointed. I am too. But our disappointment must be overcome by our love of country.

And I say to our fellow members of the world community: Let no one see this contest as a sign of American weakness. The strength of American democracy is shown most clearly through the difficulties it can overcome.

Some have expressed concern that the unusual nature of this election might hamper the next president in the conduct of his office. I do not believe it need be so.

President-elect Bush inherits a nation whose citizens will be ready to assist him in the conduct of his large responsibilities. I personally will be at his disposal and I call on all Americans -- I particularly urge all who stood with us to unite behind our next president.

This is America. Just as we fight hard when the stakes are high, we close ranks and come together when the contest is done. And while there will be time enough to debate our continuing differences, now is the time to recognize that that which unites us is greater than that which divides us.

While we yet hold and do not yield our opposing beliefs, there is a higher duty than the one we owe to political party. This is America and we put country before party. We will stand together behind our new president.

As for what I'll do next, I don't know the answer to that one yet. Like many of you, I'm looking forward to spending the holidays with family and old friends. I know I'll spend time in Tennessee and mend some fences, literally and figuratively.

Some have asked whether I have any regrets. And I do have one regret -- that I didn't get the chance to stay and fight for the American people over the next four years, especially for those who need burdens lifted and barriers removed, especially for those who feel their voices have not been heard. I heard you and I will not forget.

I've seen America in this campaign and I like what I see. It's worth fighting for and that's a fight I'll never stop.

As for the battle that ends tonight, I do believe, as my father once said, that no matter how hard the loss, defeat may serve as well as victory to shake the soul and let the glory out.

So for me this campaign ends as it began: with the love of Tipper and our family, with faith in God and in the country I have been so proud to serve, from Vietnam to the vice presidency, and with gratitude to our truly tireless campaign staff and volunteers including all those who worked so hard in Florida for the last 36 days.

Now the political struggle is over and we turn again to the unending struggle for the common good of all Americans and for those multitudes around the world who look to us for leadership in the cause of freedom.

In the words of our great hymn, "America, America," let us crown thy good with brotherhood from sea to shining sea.

And now, my friends, in a phrase I once addressed to others, it's time for me to go. Thank you and good night and God bless America.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1w2oaaHRo_A

CNN Townhall with Speaker Pelosi posted:

DEAN CHIEN, STUDENT, JOHNS HOPKINS UNIVERSITY: So, Speaker Pelosi, you resisted calls for the impeachment of President Bush in 2006, and President Trump, following the Mueller report earlier this year.

This time it's different. Why did you impose - why did you oppose impeachment in the past? And what is your obligation to protect our democracy from the actions of our President now?

SPEAKER PELOSI: Thank you. Thank you for bringing up the question about - because when I became Speaker the first time, there was overwhelming call for me to impeach President Bush, on the strength of the war in Iraq, which I vehemently opposed, and again not - again, I - I say "Again," I said - said at other places that I - that was my we - all has always (ph) Intelligence.

I was Ranking Member on the Intelligence Committee even before I became part of the leadership of Gang of Four. So, I knew there were no nuclear weapons in Iraq. It just wasn't there.

They had to show us now - to show the Gang of Four all the Intelligence they had. The Intelligence did not show that that - that was the case. So, I knew it was a - a misrepresentation to the public. But having said that, it was a, in my view, not a ground for impeachment. That was - they won the election. They made a representation. And to this day, people think - people think that that it was the right thing to do.

If people think that Iraq had something to do with the 9/11, I mean it's as appalling what they did. But I did - and I've said, if somebody wants to make a case, you bring it forward.

But I - I - they had impeached Bill Clinton for a personal indiscretion, and misrepresenting about it, impeached him. Some of these same people are saying, "Oh, this doesn't rise to impeachment," were the - right there impeaching Bill Clinton for - for being stupid in terms of something like that.

PELOSI: I mean I love him. I think he was a great President. But being stupid in terms of that and - and - and what would somebody do, not to embarrass their family.

But in any event, and that's how they did with Bill Clinton. Now, they want me to do George. This - I just didn't want it to be a way of life in our country.

As far as Mueller report, oh there - there was a - a good deal of - the academics said, and a thousand - a thousand legal experts wrote a statement that said the Mueller report is an impeach - what's in there is an impeachable offense.

It wasn't - so much of what's in the Mueller report will be more clear once some of the court cases are resolved. But it wasn't so clear to the public.

The Ukraine has removed all doubt. It was self-evident that the President miss - undermined our national security, jeopardized the integrity of our elections, as he violated his oath of Office. There's just - you - you - that's something that cannot be ignored.

https://twitter.com/axcomrade/status/1203749505021071360

I posit that the democratic party will yield to the republican party as they have done previously.

The OP specified a wide range between 0/10 and 10/10. Not a limited moderate range between 4/10 and 6/10.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

More rumor and analysis and posturing but lmao at the idea this isn't coming and Biden was going to be pushed left rather than push the left off a cliff

quote:

Elizabeth Warren and Bernie Sanders to be frozen out of Biden cabinet, report says

Left-wing politicians Elizabeth Warren and Bernie Sanders are reportedly set to be frozen out of president-elect Joe Biden's cabinet amid concerns the party could lose more seats in upcoming elections.

Democrats clung onto their House majority but lost five seats while Republicans picked up six and secured their majority in the Senate, barring a major upset in Georgia's runoff election.

Each side of the party is blaming the other for the poor results, which came after four years of White House chaos under Donald Trump. Left-wing Democrats say the party's offer on progressive causes was not strong enough.

Meanwhile, centrist Democrats say the left's 'socialist' messaging puts off Americans living outside big cities and urban areas.

Anger has been fomenting within the party in recent days and centrist Democrats say that with Mitch McConnell remaining as Senate majority leader, the party can not afford to appoint figures viewed as socialists.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/...obox=1605114085

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME

The Oldest Man posted:

More rumor and analysis and posturing but lmao at the idea this isn't coming and Biden was going to be pushed left rather than push the left off a cliff

I have no problem with Warren and Sanders staying right where they are.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

I think both Warren and Sanders should stay in the Senate rather than being token show pieces that are shut out of any actual decision-making. I'd prefer if they were recommending people as opposed to getting the pick themselves.

But realistically, we all know we aren't getting a leftist firebrand as Labor Secretary or anything. At best we'll get someone who wrote some vaguely progressive papers during their tenure at one of the approved Democratic think tanks. And even if we get that much, they'll be unable to implement any of the milquetoast policies their white papers called for because Uber and Amazon need slave labor to squeeze out any profit.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Inverted Offensive Battle: Acupuncture Attacks Convert To 3D Penetration Tactics Taking Advantage of Deep Battle Opportunities

GreyjoyBastard posted:

I do not agree about the constructiveness of that post, there's no such thing as a constructive disagreeing response to it. The closest you can come is something like "actually i think their coronavirus response will be good", either following up with either more factual-research predictive effort than whippet box offered, or just leaving at that. The second one makes whippet box angrier and contributes not much content to the thread, the first one makes the person putting forth the effort irritated that the exchange was extremely unequal. Obviously as a mod i would prefer to encourage no-effort-met-with-effort over no-effort-met-with-no-effort but I feel like there's a third moderation choice there.

Fair enough, that probably wasn't the best example I could have picked. But I think everyone should be able to grasp my point: use hyperbole as sparingly as possible, and ask yourself if it really helps your argument. Otherwise, going off on a tangent of, "Is Joe Biden REALLY a cannibal or is that just poetic license?" isn't going to help one's argument.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
10/10 excited. I loving hate the poo poo out of trump and every single day I wake up and he's not president I'm going to smile and cry a little bit. But more than that, it's a big deal to have an administration is not going to be removing animals from the endangered species act, understand the global warming is real, and will not deport Dreamers. I am by my nature an extremely cynical person, but it brings genuine warmth to my heart to think that some of these people can stay here where they belong.

E: obviously talking about the dreamers with that last sentence, not wolves

Pick fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Nov 12, 2020

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

You are all hopelessly optimistic.

paternity suitor
Aug 2, 2016

I am very excited for President Biden, and you should be too!

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

paternity suitor posted:

I am very excited for President Biden, and you should be too!

Why? Explain why you're excited, and why you think others should be excited as well.

Stairmaster posted:

You are all hopelessly optimistic.

Same with you; why do you think people are being hopelessly optimistic?

Dumper Humper
Jul 15, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Pick posted:

10/10 excited. I loving hate the poo poo out of trump and every single day I wake up and he's not president I'm going to smile and cry a little bit. But more than that, it's a big deal to have an administration is not going to be removing animals from the endangered species act, understand the global warming is real, and will not deport Dreamers. I am by my nature an extremely cynical person, but it brings genuine warmth to my heart to think that some of these people can stay here where they belong.

Notice how none of these things address the material conditions of millions of americans, because Biden wont do poo poo to actually make anyone's lives better.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Dumper Humper posted:

Notice how none of these things address the material conditions of millions of americans, because Biden wont do poo poo to actually make anyone's lives better.
I think being deported does impact your material conditions and I think global warming does impact people's material conditions.

Not trying to start an argument over Biden's policies because obviously his past with immigration and his current plan with climate change can be picked over. But your critique of the post is inaccurate.

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

Timeless Appeal posted:

I think being deported does impact your material conditions and I think global warming does impact people's material conditions.

Not trying to start an argument over Biden's policies because obviously his past with immigration and his current plan with climate change can be picked over. But your critique of the post is inaccurate.

TBF, the quoted post did say “understand global warming is real,” not “understand global warming is real and taking appropriate action to address it.”

Insanite fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Nov 12, 2020

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Pick posted:

President Elect Biden does not think climate change is real. Or, he does, but he prefers serving corporate interested.

Because he is still proposing actions that are directly opposed to addressing climate change. Fracking alone is non-negotiable.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Biden's official stance is a global warming is real, and the Biden plan was consistent with that stance. Fracking is absolutely negotiable, because if that is necessary to win, that is much better than the Trump plan which was to light the West Coast on fire (I live here :(!)

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

Pick posted:

Biden's official stance is a global warming is real, and the Biden plan was consistent with that stance. Fracking is absolutely negotiable, because if that is necessary to win, that is much better than the Trump plan which was to light the West Coast on fire (I live here :(!)

This is spot on. Biden's plan is essentially a moderate one from a couple of decades ago, when "global warming" was preferred to "climate change."

It's pretty lacking for the 2020s, though.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

Fracking polled in the negatives in Pennsylvania until Biden started pledging his undying love for it and flipped the opinion of 15% of Dems overnight. The idea that you have to run on bad policy to win is an unsupported, unverifiable myth.

The choice didn't have to be fracking or Trump. But Biden decided that was the choice he was going to give you, because he cares more about his donors' bank accounts than your not dying in hellfire and you should be angry about that.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Biden's stance was no more federal permits to do fracking in areas where the federal government has control, but tbh it's not even clear he could "ban fracking" outside of that. He said this a number of times.

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

It's shrine maiden, not shrine maid!
There's a fair bit of difference between trying and being unable to ban fracking, and emphatically talking it up as a thing that will continue to exist as we barrel towards our first Blue Ocean Event.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Pick posted:

Biden's stance was no more federal permits to do fracking in areas where the federal government has control, but tbh it's not even clear he could "ban fracking" outside of that. He said this a number of times.

And because of the way he said it people like fracking more and we will keep burning gas and climate change won't actually ever be addressed.

That's not leadership on climate change. 8 degrees in 2100 isn't better than 10.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Shere posted:

There's a fair bit of difference between trying and being unable to ban fracking, and emphatically talking it up as a thing that will continue to exist as we barrel towards our first Blue Ocean Event.

I respect someone who understands constitionality, especially a president! Same with the mask mandate, when he was always careful to clarify that a mandate from the office of the executive had to be constitutional.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Klain confirmed as the Chief of Staff:

https://twitter.com/shearm/status/1326683721379028993?s=20

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
As for climate though,

quote:

The 10 executive actions Biden has said he will take on his first day as president to combat the crisis and reduce emissions are:

Require limits on methane pollution for oil and gas operations.
Use the federal government procurement system to work towards 100% clean energy and zero-emissions vehicles.
Ensure US government buildings and facilities are more efficient and climate-ready.
Implement the already-existing Clean Air Act, and reduce greenhouse gas emissions from transportation by developing new fuel economy standards to ensure all new sales for light- and medium-duty vehicles will be electrified, and annual improvements for heavy duty vehicles.
Double down on liquid fuels like advanced biofuels and make agriculture a key part of the solution to the climate crisis.
Reduce emissions and cut consumer costs through new standards for appliance and building efficiency.
Require federal permit decisions to consider effects of greenhouse gas emissions and climate change, and ensure every federal infrastructure investment reduces climate pollution.
Require public companies to disclose climate risks and greenhouse gas emissions in their operations and supply chains.
Protect biodiversity, slow extinction rates and conserve 30% of America's lands and waters by 2030.
Permanently protect the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge, establish national parks and monuments, ban new oil and gas permits on public lands and waters, modify royalties to account for climate costs and creating programs to enhance reforestation and develop renewable energy on federal lands and waters to double offshore wind by 2030.

I like all these, so if he can do them that's really cool. Trump would do none of these.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

I'm cautiously optimistic. Biden is doing exactly what he needs to do at the moment: project calm, reasonable temperament as the fat toddler stuffs his face full of KFC and whines about "legal votes". The contrast is telling and I'm happy to have Biden as president, despite the fact that he's not nearly as leftist as I would like.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Majorian posted:

Same with you; why do you think people are being hopelessly optimistic?

I mean, I ain't him, but, you know, *gestures broadly at everything Biden has said in the past year*

Pick posted:

As for climate though,

I like all these, so if he can do them that's really cool. Trump would do none of these.

Biden won't do any of these either. Pantry's gonna be bare, Pick, the campaign told us themselves. Don't delude yourself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Pick posted:

I respect someone who understands constitionality, especially a president! Same with the mask mandate, when he was always careful to clarify that a mandate from the office of the executive had to be constitutional.

so you don't really care much about the actual results and impact of things? shrugging and letting hundreds of millions of people die is totally respectful because it's constitutional?