Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

3rdEyeDeuteranopia
Sep 12, 2007

Definitely 10. I rather have Harris as president but oh well. I feel the administration will be successful in salvaging what can be of the coronavirus response and get the vaccine out free to everyone. I also believe he can get an infrastructure and jobs plan passed as well as get the economy in terms of both employment numbers and the stock market up. Real chance at a public option for health care too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3rdEyeDeuteranopia
Sep 12, 2007

For some of the pessimists, to include those who references the quote, it may be good to remember it was not saying he'd mostly keep things the way they are, but that rich lives wouldn't really change if they were taxed higher to support progressive programs like expanding health care, combating climate change and spending on infrastructure. He wasn't saying nothing would change for the poor and working class.

quote:

"The truth of the matter is, you all, you all know, you all know in your gut what has to be done. We can disagree in the margins but the truth of the matter is it’s all within our wheelhouse and nobody has to be punished. No one’s standard of living will change, nothing would fundamentally change. No ones standard of living would change. Nothing will fundamentally change.

When we have income inequality as large as we have in the United States today, it brews and ferments political discord and basic revolution. Not a joke. Not a joke ... It allows demagogues to step in and say the reason where we are is because of the ‘other"

3rdEyeDeuteranopia
Sep 12, 2007

Dixon Chisholm posted:

Losing money is a substantial change to a rich person. Wealth messes with your head, and after a certain point, all you have left in your life is the pursuit of more money.

Biden was arguing that losing some money to taxes is ok - things would get worse down the road if income inequality wasn't somewhat addressed, and there wasn't tax flow to pay for programs to help the poor, then there would be greater problems down the line that would affect the rich more.

I don't believe you can get better than that without an armed rebellion, not an election.

3rdEyeDeuteranopia
Sep 12, 2007

Marx Was A Lib posted:

What Biden argued and what the rich heard (and will use their boundless lobbying bribe money to fight to shape policy towards) are two entirely different things.

To be fair, us filthy poors heard the dogwhistle, too, we just don't have billions of dollars to sink into lobbying. We just have protests where Biden will promise we'll get shot in the leg, maybe, instead of the back.

Or the back of the leg, instead of the back of the chest, I guess.
Many billionaires heavily supported Trump in order to try not to get taxed, and not have significant environmental regulations again. I believe the rich understood what Biden was saying and then the quote was just used at the poor to support Trump's populist messaging.

3rdEyeDeuteranopia
Sep 12, 2007

Nucleic Acids posted:

Anything in Biden’s planned foreign policy towards Central and South America to be excited about?

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/10/27/world/americas/joe-biden-latin-america-policy.html

$4 billion aid package, some climate change policy, commiting to negotiate with Maduro, return to at least Obama policy on Cuba.