Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Nix Panicus posted:

Those words have nothing to do with each other. A pragmatic and means tested levee would involve access to empty sand bags* from a central repository 100 miles away if you could prove you already had a foot of water in your home. Sand to fill the bags would be part of a second program that would be approved in the next six to ten years.

*empty sandbags would still be $100 each

Nix Panicus posted:

I would assume belief that Trump somehow steals the election.

I know that its impossible to steal the election because its nowhere near close enough and we aren't in anything approaching a 2000 situation, but if anyone could find a way to seize defeat from the jaws of victory and somehow surrender to someone with no real leverage at all its probably the democrats

January 20th, 2021, Trump just refuses to unlock the front door of the White House and Biden says aw shucks, we'll get him next time

ted hitler hunter posted:

What can you say about a Biden presidency that never takes place. Well, at least he kept his promise that nothing would change. I'm changing my answer from 0/10 to 10/10. Biden following in Gore's footsteps and never even being sworn despite technically winning is very on brand for the Democrats. They did it again :discourse:.

Carew posted:

The difference between the two will be UK terfs will spend an inordinate amount of brain energy trying to come up with the dumbest rationale as to why trans people are just faking it and thus don't deserve rights while americans will go straight to openly calling for their deaths/imprisonment

empty whippet box posted:

I am on the edge of my seat for the heroic roll out of the Biden Harris covid relief program which offers tax credits for patients who test positive three times in a hospital setting and can prove any treatments they received were due to covid and not any pre existing condition who open new businesses in historicallt disadvantaged communities within three months of recovering from covid-19. I am so excited. I am ready to build back better

dial down the preemptive fantasies about how much the libs will suck in various ludicrous ways

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Wicked Them Beats posted:

Yeah, people need to tone it down. Sure, we have all of recorded history to hold against them, but we can't know what the libs will do in the future. Maybe this is finally the day Charlie Brown finally kicks that football. Gotta stay optimistic! :)

Purposes escalating hyperbole serves:

- Emotional venting
- Demonstration that you are angrier than other posters, as evidenced by coming up with a more ridiculous scenario
- Making everyone else angrier, whereupon hopefully they will post hyperbole that makes you angrier

Purposes escalating hyperbole does not serve:
- Creating a thread environment where people who disagree with you feel comfortable posting
- Producing actual discussable predictions
- Promoting disagreement responses that are more engaged and effortful than "lol nah ur dumb"

I want to focus a little more on that last one. If someone posts clearly preposterous hyperbole, what possible direct responses are there that aren't either joining in the low-content angerfest, or saying it's clearly hyperbole and clearly preposterous? Neither of those are useful contributions to the discussion, and the latter makes you a target of the people who are already angry and worked up, leading to further degradation of the thread and of forums harmony.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Fister Roboto posted:

Worth noting then that posts like "everything is going to be great, it's like my cancer went into remission, 10/10" are also hyperbole. Nobody likes having sunshine blown up their rear end.

While I would also discourage that, and while if you're trying to convince me this thread was a bad idea structurally you wouldn't have a difficult time, this is adjacent to a topic I've been putting way too much thought into. Consider the bellyfeel, and your desired moderation handling, of the following almost-no-content statements, responses to which are either more no-content or more effort than the poster put in:

- Bernie's Gonna Win positive statement that makes everyone feel happy and a lot of people agreed with at the time
- Biden's Gonna Win (in the primary) positive statement that makes almost everyone angry
- Bernie's Gonna Lose negative statement that makes everyone angry
- Biden's Gonna Win (in the general) positive statement that makes a lot of people angry

Bernie's Gonna Win is pointless fluff, and the bulk of the information it communicates is not actually the literal meaning of the words, but if it wasn't clogging up the thread overly I ignored it during primary season. The other three would obviously generate reports, angryposts, and a general reduction in forums experience quality. All four are probateable, but some are more probateable than others.

which is also a nice little microcosm demonstration of why moderation is hard

Majorian posted:

That's very true. I think we should all endeavor to use hyperbole somewhat sparingly, no matter what we're arguing. Hyperbole, if used well, can make your argument more illustrative and vivid. I like this use of it, for example:

Everyone who knows even a little bit about the subject of Democratic health care initiatives can see it's a slightly-over-the-top caricature of means-testing.

I do not agree about the constructiveness of that post, there's no such thing as a constructive disagreeing response to it. The closest you can come is something like "actually i think their coronavirus response will be good", either following up with either more factual-research predictive effort than whippet box offered, or just leaving at that. The second one makes whippet box angrier and contributes not much content to the thread, the first one makes the person putting forth the effort irritated that the exchange was extremely unequal. Obviously as a mod i would prefer to encourage no-effort-met-with-effort over no-effort-met-with-no-effort but I feel like there's a third moderation choice there.