Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Artificial Kid
Feb 22, 2002
Plibble
8 with the senate, 5 without.

I think Biden will surprise a lot of people with his openness and desire for progress. For most of his career he has been one of many senators, and then vice president (which while it's very close to the top of the executive, is 100% in the shadow of the actual top). But I see signs from things like his attitude to apartheid in the 80s, and expressions of his attitude to trans rights, that he probably has a forward-looking streak that has yet to find its full flourishing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Artificial Kid
Feb 22, 2002
Plibble

Some Guy TT posted:

Have you ever considered the possibility there might be a connection between the fact that Paul Wolfowitz and Donald Rumseld are not listed as war criminals in American texbooks and the equally true fact that the guy who was their point man in the Senate became the standard bearer for the opposition party some twenty years later?

No.

They designed the war from scratch, prosecuted it and hosed it up. Joe Biden was one of many, many people who supported giving the Bush administration the power to wage that war (alongside tens to hundreds of millions of Americans, probably including some of the same people who now take delight in calling Biden a "war criminal", and no I didn't support the wars in Iraq or Afghanistan, I knew they were a terrible idea from the beginning). He didn't create it. It would have happened with or without him, because the Republicans and the American people were full of fire and fury and the Democrats in general were nowhere near having the will or the political capital to stop them. There were war criminals in that war, and most of them worked in the White House and the Pentagon. Joe Biden wasn't more of a war criminal than most of the Senate at that time, which, if you want them to be prosecuted, then fine, but you're just not going to get that.

We are talking about a time when on this very forum there were discussion about whether all Muslim nations should be overthrown or only some of them.

The Artificial Kid
Feb 22, 2002
Plibble

Raskolnikov38 posted:

Joe biden was not just another senator but chair of the foreign relations committee and ensured that the AUMF sailed right on through committee without any opposition
Are you talking about the authorisation of military force passed a week after 9/11, when people were calling for Afghanistan to be nuked, and claiming that it's the reason the Iraq war happened 18 months later after the Democrats had lost the senate?

Edit - Ok I see there was also one separately for Iraq. But that war was happening. There were 28 other Democratic senators voting for it along with Biden. Do you really think he made the difference between it happening and not happening? Or that he was vastly out of line with (tragically) the opinion of Americans at that time?

The Artificial Kid fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Nov 9, 2020

The Artificial Kid
Feb 22, 2002
Plibble

sexpig by night posted:

nah man you don't get to just overtly rewrite history. He was a major figure in the party and on the loving foreign relations committee, his words had power and making him the big cheerleader for the war was a key factor in getting dem support, this is just objective fact, the bush white house openly talked about how biden was a big figure to focus on woo'ing and thanks to him the AUMF skated through with hand picked experts who all came to the same conclusion of 'aw yea if we don't do this now Saddam's totally gonna nuke us.

In fact, the 'welcome us as liberators' narrative began in HIS committee.

Unfortunately this was the world they were operating in at the time: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Public_opinion_in_the_United_States_on_the_invasion_of_Iraq#May_2003

The Artificial Kid
Feb 22, 2002
Plibble

sexpig by night posted:

you, uh, you remember what year the AUMF passed, right?

(it was 2002)

Read higher. America (wrongly) wanted the war. I'm not saying it makes voting for it right, but it stops it being something that evil puppetmaster of war Joe Biden foisted on everyone.

The Artificial Kid
Feb 22, 2002
Plibble

sexpig by night posted:

No, they didn't

Gallup, a right wing outlet who's samples always lean old and reactionary barely had a majority, and at those numbers...gently caress them?

The AUMF passed in October 2002, this is just not the case of some poor innocent biden going along with the savage will of the proles, it was manufactured consent!
Yeah, consent that was manufactured by the Bush administration with fake evidence of WMD. A consent that Biden and the other democrats had to take into account in deciding how to approach the issue.

You don't like that Gallup poll, what was the actual level of support and opposition for the war in America at the time? My memory might be clouded by the tremendous amount of support for the war that I used to encounter as an opponent of it at the time.

The Artificial Kid
Feb 22, 2002
Plibble

Some Guy TT posted:

The most generous possible interpretation of Biden's actions you can come up with is that he was a political weathervane going along with the bloodthirstiness of the American public because he was scared of the polls. And this is supposed to comfort us that he's not going to commit war crimes in the future...why? Did you miss that this last election was a squeaker because it turned out that way more people were willing to vote for a warmongering candidate than anyone realized?
Because this time around (I hope) nobody is going to 9/11 America, nor manufacture a case for war against another country and present it to the American public. If you can point to a time in the past where Biden has decided a war should happen of his own free will, then used America's intelligence agencies against their will to fabricate a case for that war, I'm all ears. That is not what happened in relation to Iraq. A cabal in the White House and Pentagon created that war, for their own financial benefit, and Biden was one of many who went along with it at a point in time when most Americans supported it (because the American people had been duped).

The Artificial Kid
Feb 22, 2002
Plibble

sexpig by night posted:

So just to be clear your optimistic take is that Joe Biden was too stupid to do even the most token level opposition to a plan entirely cooked up by the white house only?

You know what company functionally owns Delaware, right? You know how much money they made on military profiteering?

It's almost like...the financial and political incentive to support the war were actually bipartisan, and leadership from both sides actively participated in maybe one of the most evil modern american acts done by our government.

Also Joe was a big supporter of what we did in Libya and wanted to do more in Syria, did the ghost of Dick Cheny force him to saber rattle there too?
As far as I know Dick Cheney's ghost is still inside Dick Cheney. The best thing I can say about the Obama administration's approach to North Africa and the Middle East, and whatever Biden's role was in that, is that they didn't create the preconditions. Their entire administration was essentially spent dealing with the ongoing chain reactions of the things the Bush administration did. I have pretty much no idea how much better or worse they could have done from the high velocity starting position they were bequeathed.

The Artificial Kid
Feb 22, 2002
Plibble

Some Guy TT posted:

You have defined the circumstances for which we can hold a politician to account for a pro war record so narrowly that the only people who could possibly ever be said to have started a war of "their own free will" are presidents. And strictly speaking George W Bush is literally the only president who actually meets this standard because you're choosing to hinge everything on post 9/11 comparable nationalism and a deliberate sustained nationalist effort. Which Joe Biden willfully participated in, however much you'd rather pretend he was just a tiny cog in the war machine rather than a big one.
I'm choosing to evaluate Joe Biden in relation to the realistic alternatives (not just his actual opponent in this election, but the broad run of American politicians of recent decades). I'm not claiming he's the best of all of them, but I don't think he's anywhere near the worse, either. I'd say he's in the top half, and that he may rise to the presidency in surprising ways, especially since re-election is unlikely to be anywhere near his biggest concern.

The Artificial Kid
Feb 22, 2002
Plibble

Some Guy TT posted:

Even if you're choosing to compare Biden to Trump he still falls short. Trump has actually had the power for the last four years to at least attempt to manufacture nationalistic fervor for a war. On two occasions, with Syria and Soleimani, he even had the mainstream media urging him to do it. Both times he decided to back off instead, even though he likely would have reaped huge political dividends for doing so. What makes you think Biden would back off in either of these cases when, again by your own extremely charitable interpretation, Biden cares more about opinion polls than he does in doing the right thing?
I didn't say he cares more about opinion polls than about doing the right thing, I said in a climate where most people supported the war, he gave his support to the war. It was easy for someone to convince themselves, at that moment, that the war was the right thing. In fact most people in America had. They were wrong, but they were convinced.

Edit - look, this is a thread for people to say how excited or not excited they are about the Biden administration. I'm (potentially) excited, you're not. I don't think we're on the verge of convincing each other, so maybe we should let it rest there for now.

The Artificial Kid
Feb 22, 2002
Plibble

OwlFancier posted:

The question of how you hold him accountable other than by not voting for him arises.

And of course the next election will likely be against someone just as repugnant as trump. And previous defeats have not caused the democrats to change course. So the question is pretty open ended, I think.

This “it’s always the most perilous election ever, we are always told we have to just vote for the democrat” narrative got a lot of play here during this campaign, but I don’t think it’s true. I don’t remember it being that way with McCain or Romney. It wasn’t even that way with Dubya’s first term, only after 9/11 and his response was he truly demonised. Before that he was treated more as a sign of America’s stupidity than America’s evil.

I’m sure the next republican candidates will benefit to a frightening degree from a sense of normality and decorum relative to Trump, and people may get their wish that Biden or Harris not be elected because they’re “just another Democrat” and “both sides are the same”.

The Artificial Kid fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Nov 10, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Artificial Kid
Feb 22, 2002
Plibble

Dumper Humper posted:

Voting for candidates who are further and further right because the other guy is worse is accelerationism

No, voting for the least worst viable candidate (In a first past the post, non-preferential electoral system) is the rational response to the situation you’re in on Election Day, with the understanding that you need to work from there to try to be in a better situation on the next Election Day.

Accelerationism is voting for the other guy because you don’t expect to ever be in a better situation on Election Day and you want to get the infinite series over with and start the revolution. It’s a bet on the ultimate failure of non-revolutionary efforts at improvement.