Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

0. This whole cycle has demonstrated that I just don't care anymore. Any semblance of an American left is dead. All I can do now is whatever it takes to survive, whether there's a Democrat president or a Republican president my material conditions haven't - and won't - fundamentally change.

All my Bernie posters came down, all the Democrat emails have been filtered and routed to junk, I've disaffiliated from the party, and I'm going try and just get removed from the voter rolls which shouldn't be too difficult in Broward County.

I don't even give a poo poo about 3rd parties anymore. I'm just deflated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Seven Hundred Bee posted:

Like a 5. Today is day one of pushing Biden as far left as possible and being as critical of his administration as necessary. With a Biden administration we're fighting to gain new ground, not protecting the ground we already have.

How?

Your negotiating chip was your vote, and you gave it go him.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

3rdEyeDeuteranopia posted:

For some of the pessimists, to include those who references the quote, it may be good to remember it was not saying he'd mostly keep things the way they are, but that rich lives wouldn't really change if they were taxed higher to support progressive programs like expanding health care, combating climate change and spending on infrastructure. He wasn't saying nothing would change for the poor and working class.

And that's still a problem. Any policy stance that doesn't impact the class aggressors in any meaningful way doesn't go far enough.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

enki42 posted:

If this is your starting premise, I would say there wasn't a single candidate for the Democratic primary, nor any outside possibility of there ever being one in 2020 that would satisfy this, including Bernie. For all the rhetoric, there wasn't a single policy that Sanders supported that would have a meaningful impact on the standard of living of the upper class.

Yes, Bernie was the compromise with the Democrat party. You are not revelationing me with that notion.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Biden was arguing that losing some money to taxes is ok - things would get worse down the road if income inequality wasn't somewhat addressed, and there wasn't tax flow to pay for programs to help the poor, then there would be greater problems down the line that would affect the rich more.

I don't believe you can get better than that without an armed rebellion, not an election.

What Biden argued and what the rich heard (and will use their boundless lobbying bribe money to fight to shape policy towards) are two entirely different things.

To be fair, us filthy poors heard the dogwhistle, too, we just don't have billions of dollars to sink into lobbying. We just have protests where Biden will promise we'll get shot in the leg, maybe, instead of the back.

Or the back of the leg, instead of the back of the chest, I guess.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Many billionaires heavily supported Trump in order to try not to get taxed, and not have significant environmental regulations again. I believe the rich understood what Biden was saying and then the quote was just used at the poor to support Trump's populist messaging.

Orr maybe there's a huge contagion of left leaning individuals that such messaging resonates with, and the Trump campaign, as the right often does, co-opts leftist rhetoric so that the political team of "Democrats and Republicans united against the poors" can have a "but that's a FOX NEWS!" to throw at left-leaning individuals criticizing the system.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Nucleic Acids posted:

Anything in Biden’s planned foreign policy towards Central and South America to be excited about?

How hype for coups are you?

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

How are u posted:

Buddy, if we're to that point then literally nothing can save us and nothing matters. Make peace with it.

Now you're C-SPAMming!

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Majorian posted:

Hoo boy, given Harris' ties to Silicon Valley and Elon Musk outright admitting that Big Tech loves its coups...yeah, the next four years are gonna suck for Latin America. I'm just glad MAS retook power before our own election.

I honestly don't give enough credit to this particular gremlin - it's so easy to lose focus and tunnel-vision into the Kopmala bit that I forget it's far from the only skeleton in her closet.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Majorian posted:

Yeah, and given that Prop 22 just passed in her (and my!) state, backed to the hilt by Big Tech, I'm...not optimistic about what that portends for replicating that horrific law throughout the country.

I saw somewhere this morning, maybe in the capitalism thread, there's a group already trying to push prop 22 in...MN I think?

Horrifying, and I'm just waiting to start seeing the relevant ads here in Florida for its eventual attempt at it.

Which will succeed by an absolute landslide, because loving Florida. gently caress.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

World War Mammories posted:

I saw an ad for such an effort in IL, unsure if that's what you're thinking of

of course we can only expect it to be pushed nationwide, so the distinction of whether it was IL or MN is academic at most

yup, it was IL, and, yup.

ah well. party on, garth.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Council of Economic Advisers
Name: Martha Gimbel, Team Lead
Most Recent Employment: Schmidt Futures
Source of Funding: Volunteer

Great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Oh come on, this is about as much hyperbole as you'd find in an SNL skit.

And at least 3x the humor.