Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bodyholes
Jun 30, 2005

I'm extremely relieved Trump is gone. He drew huge crowds and drove up Republican registrations bigly, and was making gains in the culture war. A majority of Americans still rate him better on the economy. After 4 years of seeing kids in cages, killing net neutrality, setting us backwards on climate goals, and pretending the pandemic was fake news and letting 250,000 americans die from negligence, nearly half this country voted for more. Trump is enthusiastically loved by his supporters, and it terrifies me that democrats spent their spirit bomb on turnout and barely won, winning several swing states by less than 1%. It's important to kill the root of this weed because the more people see this kind of thing win without consequences the more it emboldens them and swells their ranks. What the US does impacts the rest of the world. Right nationalism is on the rise everywhere in part because other countries emulate us. By normalizing it here we encourage it elsewhere and there is tangible good that can be done by sending a message that we won't tolerate it.

I have no illusions about broad sweeping progressive change from a Biden administration--especially with a Republican Senate, and outright fear what kind of foreign policy will come. There are concerning issues with his cabinet picks. I also know full well that this will embolden neoliberals in the democratic party. The fight continues.

Bodyholes fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Nov 8, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bodyholes
Jun 30, 2005

Majorian posted:

5, because I am excited to see if his inability to tackle the manifold crises the country faces will further along a true left opposition, radicalize more people, spur mutual aid/dual power, etc. I actually am optimistic that this will be easier under Biden than Trump, simply because a lot of people need to be shown that the Democrats are not, as an institution, there to help them.

Agreed. I think seeing Obama do nothing to improve peoples' material well-being did more to radicalize people than Trump. If anything Trump just served to normalize Republicans that liberals previously hated and scared all of them into accepting a lowered bar.

Bodyholes
Jun 30, 2005

Dumper Humper posted:

Voting for candidates who are further and further right because the other guy is worse is accelerationism

Imagine thinking Bill Clinton was better than modern democrats in any way.